close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deal with the round house first

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by mercop, Feb 16, 2010.

1. mercop

mercop
    Expand Collapse

Before worrying about which gun or knife to carry, or dealing with edged weapon attacks, multiple opponents, or worse yet Ninjas, we need to first be able to deal with the round house punch.

The round house, ghetto whopper, hay maker, or whatever you want to call it is the most common first strike in the majority of fights. Some people actually have it in their head that they are willing to take on of these and then will do something. They are kidding themselves.

We get a wide variety of folks in classes. In a very short time we need to desensitize and inoculate them to a certain level of violence. Early on in classes everyone dons headgear and I give them a light shot to the side of the head from a boxing glove to ring their bell a bit. After being shown how to suppress or redirect a powerful round house punch, it is time for the helmet and boxing gloves again. This time the student with the boxing glove is told to do their best to knock the other students head off their shoulders with a round house punch. You may end up with anyone else in the class hitting you, or you hitting them. The first couple of times the person doing the hitting is reluctant to swing full force for fear of hurting their partner. After some motivation they actually swing for the fences. Seldom does anyone take anything more then a glancing blow. The confidence this gives the student in themselves and the technique is awesome to see. From this point we can move on.

The basics done well are what makes you advanced.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 357sig glock

357sig glock
    Expand Collapse

3. mercop

mercop
    Expand Collapse

OK, I guess I will send you some. Seems like maybe you and I are the only ones interested in the thought that every altercation may not involve a gun:)

4. whoflungdo

whoflungdo
    Expand Collapse
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

That is sig material there.^^^^^^

BTDT... I took one of his classes recently in Alabama. Don't let Mercop fool you. His light punch in gloves and you wearing headgear will still leave you with cob webs... Really sends home the lesson to always be on your guard and on hit can seriously take you out of the fight.

5. Dreamaster

Dreamaster
    Expand Collapse

Oddly the round house punch is one of the easiest to deal with. I was in high school in the middle of the hallway and this guy said "Your karate don't mean *****" walked up to me and launched a round house punch. I simply raised my left arm, then wrapped my arm around his and locked his elbow. I was about to palm him in the face with my free hand when the teacher walked by (had my hand in the air ready to strike). She looked straight at the guy and said "Travis what are you doing!!?" He said "BUT BUT BUT... He's about to hit me." She said "Yeah, but I know him and know he doesn't start fights."

Cracked me up.

6. Hedo1

Hedo1
    Expand Collapse

I've seen Mercop at a few gun shows over the years. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of his punches.

7. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

Take some Krav Maga. The round house punch is one of the first things you learn to deal with. It's not hard to stop it even if they guy is very strong.

Deaf

8. Jim S.

Jim S.
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully you see it coming.

9. Dreamaster

Dreamaster
    Expand Collapse

Mercop, do you mean by "take on one of these" simply standing there and absorbing the blow with their face before "resisting" the attack?

Biggest difference between movie fights, and real life... tournament and real life is this... the human body can not take half the abuse that is portrayed. Tournaments use rules and padding to prolong the encounters... movies are just stupid, my favorite being scenes where someone gets Van Damme kicked in the head 4 times in a row, then shrugs it off and punches him back. NO... not gonna happen. In real life, Van Damme won't be able to get 4 kicks to the head because by the second one the dude will already be laying on the ground sleeping like a baby.

If anyone thinks takng a round house to the head is a good starting point, probably do need to sign up for a Mercop class. :supergrin:

10. mercop

mercop
    Expand Collapse

No, more of reacting by throwing a punch in defense without dealing with the one that is coming in.

11. swotivated

swotivated
    Expand Collapse

Either I need to sign up for some krav maga...or you are severely overestimating how well you'd actually fair in a real fight....

...probably both.

12. Currahee

Currahee
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

The round house punch is usually the culmination of people getting their egos involved in a confrontation, and is thus very easy to avoid in the first place. The book "Meditations on Violence" covers this topic really well - the author calls it "the Monkey Dance".

That being said I totally agree it is important to have some basic hand to hand skills to supplement carrying a weapon.

13. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

swotivated,

I'm a 5th dan WTF Taekwondo blackbelt and I've been in KM for about 8 months so far (and I still train at TKD.) KM, unlike my art I've been in for over 30 years, is not an art! KM is pure self defense and is very physical orientated with alot of aggression training.

Now to block the round house is easy. As long as you train to see the shoulders move you can tell what type of punch is coming and from which side. Once you see the roundhouse coming you use that arm on the same side to do the block.

This youtube is on 'bursting'. Blocking the roundhouse is similar except for real powerful blocks you use the hand you would punch to instead strike a palm against their shoulder to help mitigate the power of the punch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcyRPAQRMo0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6j0II4RPqU&feature=related

Deaf

14. Currahee

Currahee
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I've been training KravMaga for about 1 1/2 years now and it is actually surprisingly easy to see and block roundhouse punches. They are slow and obvious in comparison to a good straight punch, which is one of the reasons that we spend a lot of time perfecting straight punches. They are much harder to see and by the time you detect them they can already hit you. But most people don't know how to throw a good punch.

15. mercop

mercop
    Expand Collapse

What does KM do in the way of integrating the use of a pistol?

16. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

None really. In fact the instructor of our KM is totaly into unarmed combat (but as I told him the first rule of unarmed combat is not to be unarmed.)

Hence I've been to other schools like SouthNarc's.

The troulbe with most 'integrated' schools is they give only a very basic set of methods and if these don't fit you, well to bad.

Deaf

17. swotivated

swotivated
    Expand Collapse

Sir,

I figured you were one of the many internet ninjas I've seen posting in the forums on this site. I apologize for calling you out.

18. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

swotivated,

Actually I think everyone who post here and tries to be an 'authority' ought to be called out. Some, like Massad Ayoob, have way way lots of 'authority' on the subjects discussed here than I will ever have!

I’m a student of the martial arts. I’ve been to quite a few shooting/SD schools including Ray Chapman, Ayoob, Givens, SouthNarc, Steve Moses, and others. Some several times. Been under three Korean Grand Masters, two of them ex-ROK military (and one was in combat in Vietnam.) KM is just the latest SD system I've studied. I also teach CHL classes for fun and profit. BUT I am no great shakes. There are people who most certainly here know more than I do and have done far more than I have.

Oh, and that Avatar of mine… yes that’s me, before I got grey hair!

Deaf

19. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

Hey, be glad if you still have a thick head of hair.

Mine started turning loose before it started turning grey. :rofl:

Nowadays I just keep it buzzed short and no longer worry about what my motorcycle helmet does to it.

20. CC Glock

CC Glock
    Expand Collapse

ill just slip the punch and take you to the ground and choke you out....i did have my first mma fight at 17 tho.