close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

De-Zombifying an ugly gun

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by glock39, Feb 2, 2013.

1. gatorboy

gatorboy
    Expand Collapse

I like the lever gun idea for all the reasons you mentioned in your first post. I have a Marlin 44mag and it's great. This thing? Blah! I'll take an AK pistol any day over it. If you must conceal it, might as well go AK pistol. For open carry and not freaking sheeple (or people even) out, wood furniture lever gun.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. hogship

hogship
    Expand Collapse
    It's MY Island

While I can understand the desire to be more discreet and un-threatening looking, this seems like the wrong frame of mind to take to a gun fight.

Let's say you will potentially be facing a bad guy with a Glock 17, or an AR15, or a bolt rifle in 270, or even a revolver.......Since you just don't know what you'll be facing in the real world, would you now be more inclined to wish you had that SKS?

I certainly would. If I have to put my trunk gun to use......I want the best advantage I can give myself.......and it's NOT a lever rifle, unless I could pick and choose who, and what I'll be facing.......let's get real, you can't do that! At that point, putting forth a politically correct public image is the last thing I'll be thinking of......

:wavey:

ooc

#42 hogship, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I wouldn't feel too undergunned with a good lever rifle against most weapons out there unless I am going to be in a protracted gunfight against guys like the North Hollywood robbers with thousands of rounds in a full auto rifle.

4. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot
    Expand Collapse

I never could understand this line of thinking...

Not really talking personal protection here, but ''battles'' are won with tactics and rounds ON TARGET. Spray and pray will be left nerves twitching on the floor with a well places shot...

TRAINING, SHOOTING will overcome ALLOT if not ALL situations. Cool heads come from that, we all know cooler heads usually prevail.

I'm a competitive shooter, many times I have beaten shooters with high tech Benelli shotguns. Beaten them a couple times with a 100 year only Winchester thumb buster!! The first time we did that we where nearly laughed off the line... at the end there was allot of back slapping and many wanted to see this old shotgun. Much like the saying its the singer not the song... Its the shooter NOT the gun. :upeyes::whistling::supergrin:

CW

5. glock39

glock39
    Expand Collapse

Well, by concealable, I obviously mean only in comparison to a regular rifle. You could put a Ranch Hand inside a gym bag and carry it to and from your truck without anyone wondering what's in the funny, rifle-shaped package. You could walk down the street carring a 2 foot bag of some kind and not stand out as much as you would carrying a 3 foot bag.

If it did get spotted, it's more friendly looking than a AK pistol or broken down AR rifle. If it was discovered by your employer or a police officer, it doesn't look as much like you're on your way to start a mass shooting. For a backpack gun, it's probably more explainable to a game warden than any military style gun would be.

6. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6
    Expand Collapse

Remington makes them in the Core Lokt line. 170 grain. I've used them, but switched to soft points as they grouped better.

Both made dead deer. Not sure about true performance as all of the deer I shot with it were neck shots.

7. hogship

hogship
    Expand Collapse
    It's MY Island

Well, I do understand you're line of thinking. On the surface, it seems reasonable, but is a result of not making decisions based on giving yourself the best possible advantage. Yes, I'd agree about cool heads and being familiar with tactics, but the truth is that you might, and you might not wish you had an equipment advantage.......especially since it's a realistic likelihood that whomever you might be facing will be able to apply that advantage against a lever action rifle.

It's a gamble, and you can increase the odds by having the tools that will cover all the possibilities with a better advantage. This is not to say it's impossible to prevail with the lever rifle, but to believe it covers all the likely "unknowns" is fallacy.........

To be fair, I have, in the past, used a lever rifle for a truck gun. I don't anymore, specifically because honest evaluation of the realistic possibilities suggest there are times when a lever rifle might not be the best choice.......no matter how cool headed I am, or level of training I've had.

There is one thing I'd like to make clear........Using a lever rifle as a trunk gun isn't a poor choice at all. I'm not saying anyone else should not choose a lever rifle for this purpose.....I don't, and that's a personal choice I have made for myself, and nobody else but me. From my point of view, there are other choices that are clearly better from the aspect that situations differ.......and the best equipment to handle different situations may differ, as well......

ooc

#47 hogship, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  8. TheGrimReaper

TheGrimReaper
    Expand Collapse

Tell'em! Get a used marlin and be done with it.

#48 TheGrimReaper, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  9. ZombieJoe

ZombieJoe
    Expand Collapse

Have you thought about a Mares Leg?

My camping gun is a Hi Point 995. Its fits the job perfect for me, but it does have the "tacticool" look.

10. glock39

glock39
    Expand Collapse

We see to think alike. A Hi Point 4595 is on my wish list, although it's a bit more aggresive looking than what I'm after at the moment.

The Rossi Ranch Hand I was discussing above is a factory built Mare's Leg. In 357 it would probably be more versatile than most other pistol caliber choices.