Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by WINGS, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. It's official, DD-214's are NOW Online.

    The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s online:


    This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes. NPRC is working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet access to obtain copies of documents from their military files. Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents.

    Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online web site. Because the requester will be asked to supply all information

    essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized. The new web-based application was designed to provide

    better service on these requests by eliminating the records center's mailroom processing time.

    Please pass this information on to former military personnel you may know and their dependents.

    Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. WIG19

    WIG19 Light left on

    Ran thru a sample request. The interface is slick & works nicely as advertised. Gee... with a little extra anecdotal info, and the personal data of 26.5 million veterans out there in the wild, I wouldn't be surprised to see this system front-ending lots of requests for service/separation data, submitted by the less-than-ethical.


  3. hogship

    hogship It's MY Island


    I have all my records anyway, but also ran a sample request.

  4. still have to fax or mail
  5. WIG19

    WIG19 Light left on

    Works as advertised, got a set of 214's I didn't need few days ago.

  6. Man...is that TOO hard for you to do??? Maybe you'd like them to hand deliver it to you!!!
  7. sweetbutsassy

    sweetbutsassy Not a princess

    Yeah, I did it too. Was hoping I could print on-line, but had to fax as well. I got it fairly quickly. Copies were not spectacular but if you are missing 214, better than nothing. I have several good copies of my original laying around my house just in case I need them.
  8. WIG19

    WIG19 Light left on

    Just a thought...
    Take an original or certified copy of your 214 (or your most final one with all your summary data on it) down to your county (Register of Deeds/County Clerk/County Recorder) and get it recorded.

    That way, should something happen to your house (God forbid) those copies you might want that used to be laying around won't matter. BTW, this does nothing to change alter your official state of residence. It's good safekeeping, valuable if your state has its own vets' program of services/benefits. If you move to another state, do the same thing when you settle in there.

    As always, since nobody said it to me in '69, thanks for your service.


Share This Page