close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Daytona 500 Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Yes, the the Nascar boys do the left and right twice a year. What F1 race dares to run oval track?

2. Restless 28
    I actually enjoy many forms of motorsport. Nascar, Indy car, sprint cars, AMA roadracing. I enjoy the 24 hours of Daytona and Lemans.
    Other then Monoco, I find F1 crushingly dull to watch. But to each his own.

3. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed
    im tired of hearing turn left , turn left , the best drivers in the world state NASCAR CARS ARE THE HARDEST TO DRIVE ,MANEUVER AND LEARN .

always inches apart , wide open , pack of 30 , over 130 degrees in cars for 3 to 4 hours ??

4. benji

benji

Sep 23, 2003
    I live 25 minutes from Bristol Motor Speedway and grew up loving NASCAR. Today's race sucked. It was the Great American Parade all day long. There used to be personalities in NASCAR and the different tracks made it fun. Now they have yuppies that point race on 1.5 mile tri-ovals. I can't believe it's still on TV. I don't think it will be around in 10 more years if things continue at this rate.

5. How much different do the tracks have to be. Superspeedway-Daytona-Talledega
    Long low banked tracks-Indy, Fontana
    Short track-intermediate-Bristol, Martinsville, Richmond, Phoenix.
    Road courses Watkins Glen, Sonoma-
    Mile and a half-Chicago, Texas, Las Vegas, Chicago, Kansas-

Personalities? Hot heads like the Busch brothers, Harvick, Stewart

But I would love to see them add a dirt track race to the schedule again.

6. I wonder if maybe her being a rookie caused others not to want to draft with her in the last few laps.

I would bet the James Franco intended to say "gentlemen and Danica, start your engines", but since he is used to reading scripts.......

7. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    It did not seem like a race. Just a bunch of colorful cars driving around.

8. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

Jan 15, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    +1. Hugely boring and losing their fan base. NASCAR has become PC........but that's to be expected when you get handouts from the government.

9. The Camping World truck series is running at Tony Stewart's El Dora Speedway this year....

10. The truck series is closer to what stock car racing should be.

Cup and Nationwide is an abomination.

11. Cool. I hope its a forerunner for the cup cars.

12. Thats like saying Double A baseball is better then the Major leagues.

13. I know one of the early sticking-points with Kentucky was seating. NASCAR has a minimum number of seats before they'll even think about it. I can't imagine Stewart wanting to build another Bristol - 25 stories of seats for a 1/2 mile dirt track.

On the other hand, they get a bunch of Cup drivers out there in dirt cars once a year as it is, and the drivers seem to have a lot of fun with it. Never say never, right?

14. Better is in the eye of the beholder. I bet that fans will love the trucks on dirt and clamor for more. Cookie cutter tri oval? Not so much.

15. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    I watched to see how Danica would do. She admitted she did not know how to win the race. Claiming she was running half throttle most of the race was kind of funny. I believe she just did not want to crash at the end.....she just was in the wrong line at the finish. Third would have been great but 8th is respectable. Just finishing a race like that is a big deal for most. 130 degrees for 4 hrs would not be fun and a constant 196mph would be demanding not knowing who will screw up and wreck a line of cars. I do like the shorter tracks but not the soup bowl stadiums. I called the Lowes Car for the win.....just sayin.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  16. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

Oct 30, 2011
    Deltona,FL
    The race was boring. NASCAR missed the package. Period. It was just too conservative. It will change. The one thing NASCAR is not afraid to do is make changes to help the racing be more exciting at Daytona and Talladega better. Unfortunately NASCAR is in a box at those race tracks. They need to let the cars run faster so that handling becomes a premium, but they are already going really fast and the track can barely contain the cars. As evidenced by saturdays race. I wish I lnew a solution but I don't. No matter what happens someone will be complaining.

17. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    I hate to say it but this is true. The most exciting package Nascar had for the plate tracks was the one with the wicker bill on top of the car, but it was also pretty hair-raising for the drivers. I can understand why they got rid of it.

That said, Nascar isn't going anywhere.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  18. I'm sure you are trying to be funny. But let's look at her before the last lap, in 3rd place. Took plenty of skill to get there. If she is in that position a few more times, are you saying none of the endings will play out in her favor? Ever?

She wouldn't need everyone to crash out, because by finishing 8th she was well ahead of most the guys.

Of course if you were there, you could have turned that 8 into a 1. You would have picked the right moment to slip down to the inside lane without losing any speed, and flew past the leaders. You just don't have the looks, so they won't give you her car :)

19. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX AZ
    Couldn't say it better...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9Zi1Fpq1Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Turn to the left sometimes. - YouTube[/ame]

20. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    NPR announced this morning that Johnson won 1st, Earnhardt won 2nd, and Danica won 8th. I guess 3rd through 7th isn't important anymore... :upeyes: