close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Daytona 500 Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Feb 24, 2013.

1. I tried to watch the race, and as usual, it made for good background noise for a nap. I did wake up to see Jimmy Johnson win.

NASCAR just seems so "meh" since Dale died.

F1 and WRC are where it's at for me now.

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Jimmy Johnson won a NASCAR race? I'm shocked. Lol

3. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

Feb 3, 2009
    geriatric paradise
    Restless, i feel the same way. i was at the 500 Dale won. talk about magic in the air. even his haters were clapping. after he died, the already commercial sport seemed to be more and more about the sponsors, until, like you, the races became good nap noise. nowadays, i doubt i know half of the drivers' names. (though it is cool that Mark Martin is still getting it done!)

4. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I watched it from start to finish and it was okay, not the best. I'm not a fan of pack racing but it is a lot better than recently with the two car tandems running away from eachother.

5. I grew up a NASCAR fan. The 80s and 90s were the apex of the sport. Bobby and Davey, Ernie, Kyle, Rusty, Dale, Rudd, Waltrip, Gant, Martin, Terry Labonte, etc.

Those guys were NASCAR to me. Today's drivers are boring and the great tracks are gone, replaced with cookie cutter tri ovals.

I think I'll watch some Senna footage to brighten my day.

6. HeliGlock

HeliGlock HeliGlock

Jan 16, 2011
    Florida
    Im with Restless on this one I also was there for Dales Win and it has not been the same sine he got Killed.:wavey:

7. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Jun 25, 2002
    Anniston, Alabama
    It wasn't just that. That was a big event, but the change had begun a few years before that. I live and grew up about 6 or 8 miles for Talladega.

I remember drivers working on cars in the parking lot of the hotel before they could get to the pits on race week. Me and a bud was just discussing this on FB. -- Back when it was all about the win, and little about the advertising. Drivers were not much interested being good corporate spokesmen, but rather more interested in wringing out the last 1/4 HP out of a huge engine. There weren't any multi-million dollar test tunnels and computer programs to test your car, but nothing more a quiet Wednesday afternoon without the crowds and fans, and a man with a HUGE sack that allow him to push a car to the limit of physics and horse power, that limit not yet to be defined by engineers in white coats, thousands of miles from a speedway, but rather set by whether or not the driver made the lap or ended up being cut out of a twisted, destroyed puzzle of steel resting at the end of a high banked turn. Real men driving real cars. Pioneers of the sport, not unlike the actual pioneers of centuries ago, the least among them would be giants among their modern "peers".

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  8. Reckon NASCAR will ever get rid of the 350ci push rod V-8s and rear wheel drive in favor of setups currently in production - quad cam V-6 crosswise with front wheel drive? Might get rid of the restrictor plates and thus open up the packs and make it more interesting.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. roger123

roger123

Feb 23, 2012
    VA Beach, VA
    I was a diehard fan from '87 until Martin left Rouch. It's just not the same anymore, I did have it on as background noise to see how Danica would do. Was happy to see where Mark finished.

I have a cat named Mark and another named Martin!

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Bread and circuses. HH

11. JBaird22

JBaird22

Nov 18, 2005
    Washington
    Glad to see Danica finally got her stuff straightened out.

12. Nascar is better the ever. More competition, more good teams. Richard Petty would have never won 200 races in the modern era.
    Drivers represent all corners of the U.S. and Australia, and South America.
    The best US drivers now gravitate to Nascar, cause thats where the money is.
    Dale Earnhardt is the distant past. Get over it.

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    What happened to Danica? 3rd with two laps to go, then suddenly she's dropping back and finishes 8th? Was she on her cell phone or what? Rookie mistake...Saying that, 8th ain't bad. I did think that the celebrity that got the race started was a bit condescending when he said "Drivers and Danica start your engines." If you make the big dance you are a driver period.

14. Too many changes in too short a time period. NASCAR keeps scrambling with different formulas, which leads to cautious driving. It happened today. Dale Jr. goes around Johnson:poke: if he makes his move a little earlier. :supergrin:

15. So wrong on so many levels. The best foreign drivers aspire to be F1 drivers and WRC drivers.

I know that isn't NASCAR PR Gospel, but it's true.

16. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
  17. Same thing happened to her as happened to Greg Biffle, who went from 2nd to 6ht. Is his a rookie mistake, too?

What I, personally, think happened is they both lifted for just a moment, thinking there was going to be a caution thrown. At Daytona (and Talladega), it only takes that fraction of a second off the gas to drop in the pack.

Never ceases to amaze how many people seem to WANT Patrick to fail....

18. No, the best foreign computer operators run F1. And World Rally is a minor league sport.

19. There's a whole lot more to racing than turning left for 3 to 4 hours.

20. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed
    she wont fail at controversy ,making money , looking good , but she will never win a nascar race much less a title . only way she wins a race if everyone crashes out .

shes eye candy to the sport that needs ratings , nothing more