close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dawson STI Tuned Trojan

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by ajgranda, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Hi,

What are your opinions on this "Spartan" that Dawson is producing and the price? I'm waiting to hear back from them as to what they mean by "Super-Tuned". I like that its available in HC. I also asked them if they can put on fixed rear sights instead of adjustables for an occasional carry, but mostly range gun.

Thanks

Edit: a Spartan not a Trojan

Dawson Precision Super-Tuned STI Spartan!
    Available in 9mm and .45 ACP
    Hard Chrome Finish
    DP 1911 Ice Magwell (Gap or No-Gap)
    DP Perfect Impact® Optic-Inserted Front Sight Installed

Delivery Before Christmas! Call Now!
    $1,195!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    I'm confused, is it a Spartan or a Trojan. :dunno: If it's a Spartan the price is too high, if it's a Trojan the price is too low.

3. Oops, my error. It's a Spartan. I wish it was a Trojan. Maybe that was subliminal thinking :whistling:. I know its an extra $300 for the Hardchrome alone.

4. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    That's pretty damn close to TRP money. I don't care if its "tuned" and HC, that's way too much for a Spartan. Just my 2¢.

5. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    the "Super-tuned" reminds me of Pioneer (Super-Tuner) radios :rofl:

a Super-Tune is mainly a reliability package and a new sear spring, so it's up to you if you want to get it. STI's are pretty reliable from the get go and if not i have read that they have great customer service.

6. Thanks, I agree if its only a trigger job and hardchrome. Not sure what else is involved in their "tune". Maybe some polishing :dunno:. I've seen pics of a hardchromed Spartan and cosmetically it looks great though. Lets see that DP says about any further working of the internals.

7. Thanks, so it looks like $300 extra for the HC and $250 for the "Tuning". A stock Spartan goes for around $650 I think.

8. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    the $250 would be the magwell, front sight, and the "Enhancement" package.

the Super-Tuned package is:
    Hard Chrome Finish
    DP 1911 Ice Magwell
    DP Perfect Impact® Optic-Inserted Front Sight Installed
    + Enhancement package (reliability package)

9. Thanks, that seems like a pretty good deal to me. But what do I know :dunno:.

10. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    as for a fixed sight instead of an adjustable, the Spartans all come with adjustable sights. John Harrison makes a fixed replacement sight ti fit in the adjustable cutout.

11. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    For $1,200...I think I'd skip the HC and tuning, and step up to a Trojan (or Ranger2 for carry) and put that extra $200 toward ammo (or the Harrison sight for the Trojan). STIs are pretty damn nice out of the box and their CS is excellent from what I hear.

12. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  13. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    ...instead of a Kimber?!?! *cough, cough...and a Brown. :supergrin:

14. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Besides...I'm spending his money. :rofl:

15. Tactical black

Tactical black

Jan 24, 2008
    Florida
    Hookie yous getting a lot flack for that tupperware gun :rofl::rofl:

16. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Yeah, you would think I bought a Taurus or a Hi-Point. :rofl:

17. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    if you bought those to replace a Kimber, then you would get :honkie: then :wedgie: and then :nutcheck:

18. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    :rofl:

19. Tactical black

Tactical black

Jan 24, 2008
    Florida
    I had a H&K usp 45 and I couldn't get use to the gun for anything so I sold it and bought a G17 and that's the only glock I own it's my truck gun now.

20. Clint-M

Clint-M

Jul 7, 2010
    RR, Texas
    Exactly what I thought when I got the e-mail about that packaged deal. I think the hard chromed finish looks great on those pistols and is definitely a step up from their usual finish, but when you take a step back and look, you're still buying a Spartan for more than the price of a Trojan. Now if you want the hard chromed package (bac's HC Trojan in the 1911 guide looks gorgeous) with the magwell (which may be hard to conceal well, looks like it adds a bit of size to an already large 1911) then I would probably buy this package over adding the similar additions to the Trojan.

As it looks now, follow hokie's advice and buy the Trojan or Ranger2 and save some money for the range.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010