close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Daughter Going to the Brown Shoe Navy

Discussion in 'US Navy Forum' started by olddep041, Dec 26, 2008.

1. olddep041

olddep041

My daughter (the new butter bar) is home for Christmas. She is attending training in Virginia and will finish up in February.

She will be assigned to a F/A-18F squadron based in California. They are not scheduled to deploy for a while, so she will have some time to get some experience in her job.
    I am very proud on my daughter!

2. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

As well you should be! Congrats! What's her job in the Navy? She a pilot?

3. olddep041

olddep041

Naval Intelligence.

4. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

5. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

CONGRADULATIONS Pop, now the real world comes into play.
    Give her some fatherly advice. Find your division chief and get him in her pocket.
    And don't forget, going for a bucket of waterline, is a long walk.

6. olddep041

olddep041

Glockrunner - you are so right. She knew what she was going to face in OCS, but it didn't really hit until she had a Marine DI screaming in her face!:rofl:
    She did well in OCS and ended up being one of the class officers.
    She is looking forward to getting out of training and going forward with her career.:patriot:

7. chuckman

chuckman

Good for her (and you)! Where did she do OCS? When I did knife-and-fork school, it was in Pensacola, but have heard it moved to Rhode Island because of hurricane damage in Fl. She'll like intel. Good field, a lot of mobility and advancement, and aviation intel will get her a lot of opportunities that 'normal' intel won't afford.

8. 4oglock

4oglock USN, Retired

Congrats Dad, and special congrats to your daughter too! She is in for a great time!
    I retired in '87 after 20 years in the E-2 Hawkeye community. One of my tours was in Hawaii with the Fleet Intelligence Center - some of the best years I had with my family!

9. olddep041

olddep041

chuckman and 4oglock - I appreciate your responses. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - I was out of town.

chuckman :OCS did move back to Rhode Island two or three years ago.

4oglock: she wanted the Intelligence slot real bad. I think she will do well in the job. She has two bachelor degrees from Texas A&M (Psychology and Poly Sci) and a Master's in International Relations from the University of Nottingham, England. She is very focussed.

10. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

Wow... nice resume. She'll be good for agency work down the road, too. :thumbsup:

11. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

she's in for a great career or career starter. you should be very proud of her, maybe she'll be targeting some hadji terrorists in the near future for some hornet drivers.

12. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

You're obviously very proud... and rightfully so! Congratulations. Fair winds & following seas to your daughter.

13. chuckman

chuckman

She'll be an underling for a few years, at least till she puts on O3. But she will learning a lot. Once she hits LCDR, a boat-load of opportunities will open, not just in the Navy (i.e., White House/NSC, DIA, CIA, etc.). Intel is a hard field to get into, very competitive. I wish her well. RE: OCS...not so great in Fla, can't imagine doing it in the freakin cold of winter in RI. But, Newport is a beautiful place.

14. uashooter

uashooter

Congrats to you both! She'll have a great time with the squadron as long as she's "one of the guys."

As others have said, Intel is a very competitive field and will open a lot of doors for her a few years down the road.

15. Tired Retired

Tired Retired

Having just finished up over 20 something years in the club, please remind her to remember ONE thing - the words "Naval" and "Intellegence" rarely belong in the same sentence! Seriously, Congrats to you and her both! I am sure that you are very proud of her. May she have a challenging and rewarding career.