close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Data Recovery on Ricoh Copier

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gemeinschaft, Jul 7, 2011.

1. gemeinschaft

gemeinschaft AKA Fluffy316

Feb 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I just got a call from my old apartment complex about performing data recovery on their Multi-function Copier at another location.

Long story short, if they can prove they faxed something a couple of years ago, it will save them big money.

My plan is to pull the HDD and mount it to see if I can browse any files from that date range. It is a long shot, but they are paying for me to go regardless of what I am able to accomplish.

Anyone have any advice on this one? Is there a certain file format that the Ricoh would save information, is there a certain time limit and the data is erased?

All comments and suggestions are welcome. :cool:

2. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Mar 25, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I've tried that before without success. I'll be interested to see what you can find.

3. gemeinschaft

Feb 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I first tried to find the Service Manual for the MFP, but it was not available online for free.

Once I got to the client's site, I removed the back cover and inspected every inch of the PCB, there was no connections for a Hard Drive, just some RAM memory.

I confirmed with a tech friend of mine that in this particular case, there was not a hard drive and documents only circulated in RAM.

This was a 15ppm copier/printer/fax/scanner.

I guess I'll have to wait until my next opportunity to crack a copier. LOL

At least the client paid my trip charge :whistling:

4. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    My network HP all in one has a fax log in the web interface of the unit. Was this a USB only printer?

5. gemeinschaft

Feb 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    No, it was a Ricoh MFP (Print, Scan, Fax, Copier), it had a NIC card and Fax card.

The PCB had no storage devices other than removable RAM, so nothing to recover. :crying::crying:

6. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Mar 25, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Yup the small ones under 22cpm don't have hdd's. Bummer, I was hoping you'd have better luck than I did.

7. gemeinschaft

Feb 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I have a buddy who picks up copiers and such at auction, I may try one just to see how hard it is. I understand that some manufacturers encrypt the data, so you can retrieve, but it takes special software to crack it... That just tells me it would require more beer. LOL :rofl::rofl:

8. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Mar 25, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Lemme know how it goes, I couldn't get bt3 to recognize a Ricoh HDD much less read the file system. I didn't have beer, though. :supergrin: