Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Data recovery gone good!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by filthy infidel, Nov 22, 2010.

1. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

Apr 24, 2007
    North Carolina
    My neighbor brought her laptop over yesterday, windows won't boot even in safe mode. Hiren's Mini XP won't touch the docs, the HDD freezes my PC and shows 0% used/0% free. It won't mount for a chkdsk /r either.
    Turns out that, of course, every single picture she's taken since 2006 is on that bad hdd....with no backup.
    My intention was to fix this for them gratis as a going away gift (they're moving to the down undah next month).

Well the data gods were smiling, I fired up Spinrite and it crunched for about six hours but recovered the data! I copied all data to a USB drive and reassembled the laptop and everything works fine. Tomorrow I'll give the laptop back with a shopping list for a new HDD and I'll clone it over before it fails again.

Nothing more, just wanted to share this good news!
  2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Way to go ... Spinrite is a handy utility, I use it and/or EasyRecovery Pro for data recovery.

3. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Jan 19, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    sweeeet. godo work my man
  4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Good Job!

Glad to hear others have good results with data recovery.

The Data Recovery gods rarely smile on me... I have tried a couple of products, but no joy. I have pretty much decided to farm the work out these days... :whistling:

Perhaps I will take a look at Spinright. It's just - What do you practice on? Delete a bunch of files on a drive and go hunting them down?

Would be nice to have a Data Recovery *win* under your belt!
  5. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I'm not sure that you can practice ... recovering data that has been deleted is a snap compared to recovering data from a damaged hard drive.

SpinRite is very good at bringing a damaged or dead hard drive back to life but can be VERY slow, I've seen it run for a weekend while Easy Recovery Pro will allow data recovery without repairing the drive in a fraction of the time.