close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Daniel Defense, BCM, Rainier Arms or PSA Upper

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by gbanker, Dec 12, 2012.

1. gbanker

gbanker
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I'm looking to put together another quality AR 556 staying under 1k for the complete upper. It will be a range, hd, shtf and backup rifle. I plan to probably put a few hundred rounds through it a month.

The lower has already been assembled with a PA LBK w/STR stock. I just need an upper to finish it off. I'm not in a huge hurry but I'm starting to do my research again.

My only rifle now is a 16" BCM Middy that i assembled, this time I'd like to go with a 14.5 middy, pinned to 16. I want a long rail 12" or longer, not set on quad or tube but no fixed site post.

I've heard a lot of positive reviews regarding the PA uppers. But at 420.00 w/o a bcg or ch, it doesn't seem like that great of a deal when a bcm can be had for 439 or DD for 400. Do the 14.5 PA uppers go on sale very often? Has anybody ordered a DD upper from Smartgunner lately? is the current $400 deal their reg price or do they have specials too?

The other option that I am looking hard at is the Rainier Arms with Milspec bcg, ch and Xtc comp. 725 for the 12" RA Evo rail or 850 for the 12" centurion C4 rail. I live in WA so RA will charge me close to 90 in tax.

90 dollars I can splurge on a DD 12" lite rail.

So many option, Like I mentioned above I prefer to stay under 1k for the complete upper.
    Any AR guys going through a similar situation or can give any insight to the above?

Thx banker

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando
    Expand Collapse
    Long Range Guru

Just buy 3 PSA Uppers that way you have 2 on hand for future projects!

3. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

I'd go DD, BCM, or Rainier. I've just seen way to many fubars from PSA recently to have any trust there.

4. skew12

skew12
    Expand Collapse

This.

5. GSSF17

GSSF17
    Expand Collapse
    ...2 of 'em

My experience is wonderful with PSA. Just sayin. Actually, according to tracking, another one is arriving on the brown truck today, shipped within the promised time... :whistling:

That said, with your price point, you could easily get into a BCM Upper. Unless cash is a real problem, I'd choose BCM.

6. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

-DD
    -BCM or Rainier
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -PSA

in that order.

7. G23Adam

G23Adam
    Expand Collapse
    .- -.. .- --

I used to be one of the biggest PSA proponents out there. This foulup with the black friday debacle has me back to neutral on them. I should have went with BCM.

8. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls
    Expand Collapse

CS aside....Get whichever is cheapest. They all are made to the same specs as far as I can see. I Don't think there's any difference......:popcorn:
    I buy BCM now just because they seem to be in stock more at the times I have $ to buy.

#8 fuzzy03cls, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

what happened on black frida with psa?

10. SFW

SFW
    Expand Collapse

In a nutshell, they over extened themselves and are having issues meeting the 15 day turnaround timeframe.

I'm currently awaiting my Black Friday PSA upper. I can't really comment on their quality, as I have not yet recieved my upper- although I hear good things. With that said, my next rifle will come from BCM. They build an extremely quality product and have an excellent customer service record. The few items that I have ordered from them were accurate and shipped quickly.

11. gbanker

gbanker
    Expand Collapse

I've had good luck and fast turn times with PSA when ordering ammo and my most recent LBK, ordered on Blk Friday for an awesome price! w/o their LBK special my complete lower would probably still be a stripped lower and I wouldn't even be having this conversation right now.

I order their ammo in bulk well ahead of when I need it, so I have no problem waiting for their 9mm and 223 sales to pop up. I've found their prices to be the best.

Hope you guys get your uppers soon!

I am all about saving money but with all of the mentioned uppers costing about the same give or take 50 bucks, I'll stick with one of the 3 higher end uppers.

It seems like BCM, DD and RA are pretty much on the same quality level. It is probably just a matter of personal preference. Since I have a BCM now, do I stick with the same platform? Much like I have a G19 and G26 that I practice with and can trust my life with? Or do I go for something a little different like a DD or RA because I already have a BCM.

I would like to train with both my rifles, either in classes or out with friends. Maflunction drills, transitions, mag dumps etc.

Does anybody have 2 of the 3 that they can compare?

I'm not sold on the RA XTC as I may want to put a can on this build down the road. Or I may want to can my 16" and turn build it into a specialized long range shooter. Any suggestions on comps that are compatable with cans?

12. glock031

glock031
    Expand Collapse

Your choices are good. It comes down to what accesories and type barrel on the particular upper you want. Basic config not one you listed would give any advantage over the rest of your list. Pick the one that suits your needs or wants.

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm
    Expand Collapse

Daniel Defense

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

I would avoid PSA. Delays in shipping, shoddy customer service, and my PSA middy upper arrived with a canted FSB due to a bad index notch on the upper.

Sent from the USS Sulaco.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

I shoot BCM and DD. The last BCM was ordered in spite of wanting to try a PSA for the savings and what seemed to be an up and coming player in the AR assembler game. After hearing an overwhelming amount of negative feedback I spent extra for the piece of mind. The BCMs bang steel at will and arrived in 3 days accompanied by a mountain of swag. Sometimes I wonder why people purchase from anyone other than BCM.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

16. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

ranier arms shows they dont have any of their own uppers

17. gbanker

gbanker
    Expand Collapse

Category> Ranier Custom Uppers

The Centurion Railed upper is available now. The RA tubular upper should be back in stock as soon as they get their hand guards in.

18. glock031

glock031
    Expand Collapse

You know you have a lifetime warranty. I know you don't want to go through the hassle.

Im calling BS on your claim. Only 90% of GT members here have PSA functional problems. Less then 1% of the out side world has some issues. Id say you guys are BCM base and thats that. Trying to hurt PSA with BS is like the wife pissing in the ocean to help drown her husband. A waste of your time. Sorry but metric tons of fine PSA rifles in the hands of many many people so the negative campaigning just won't work and reflects poorly upon the few here..

You posted a picture of your FSB/MBUS and it lined up spot on.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/227665_My_PSA_upper_arrived__but___.html

#18 glock031, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  19. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

I havent seen a single post where someone mentioned anything bad about PSA outside of personal experience. Nobody is lying or trying to take away from PSA's market share. In fact I feel they (BCM & PSA) cater to 2 different markets.

I like PSA and have ordered from them a few times. However as the price difference b/w the two shrinks some would rather not risk being another statistic like many of us have been.

If you'd like to start a thread covering BCM shortcomings please do.

20. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Myself and two other people looked at that upper, and it was canted. When I pulled the barrel nut off, the index notch was clearly off center at the same angle as the FSB. To top if off, PSA can't even be bothered to use the right kind of grease/anti-seize on the barrel nut. Instead, it was lubed with what appeared to be motor oil.

As for lifetime warranty, if their customer service and quality control are any indication, I wouldn't trust them to make it right. I can't help the fact that my phone's camera didn't let me take a clear enough picture to show it was canted.

I have also had a BCM bolt fail. BCM never took more than 2 business hours to reply to an email, I had the bolt back 4 business days after it arrived at their offices, and they more than made it right by me. I even started a thread here about my experience, and it ended with my complimenting BCM on their customer service.