close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Daily Life In An Increasingly Evil World!

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Arc Angel, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    :) Hey! I was reading one of my daily devotionals today; and I thought about some of the genuinely perplexing questions I've been reading on how to stop these gun massacres like the recent Batman movie slaughter. I posted my thoughts on this subject in another thread the other night; however, the viewpoint went largely ignored by everyone except one rather angry fellow who decided to ramble on about, 'his faith' without stopping to reflect, for so much as a single moment, that every comment I made was founded in both the Old and New Testaments.

I'm a little confused. There is no question that America was founded upon and ran successfully for more than 200 years on the tenets and axioms I described; but, now and rather obviously, that's no longer true today. So, when one of my daily devotionals seemed to, 'hit the nail right on the head' I decided to share it with everyone (including all of you pharisee and atheist types). ;)

Here we go:

PROVIDED BY: Proverbs@LetGodBeTrue.com

www.LetGodBeTrue.com, 212 Standing Springs Road, Simpsonville, SC 29680

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    What tenets and axioms would those be exactly? Is it your position that the world today, and specifically the US, is more evil than it was 150-200 years ago?

3. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
  4. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    Statistically, the less religious a society, the safer it is.

Now stop trying to blame hideous acts on the nation pulling away from your superstitious beliefs. I'm sick of every time there is a killing, or a natural disaster, Christians blaming homosexuals, and secularists!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzW0P6qdWpM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Atheism Statistics - YouTube[/ame]

5. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    I can see this shaping up already.

Anyway, it's a problem with many factors, almost more than you can count. There is a lot of free will involved too. Regardless what religious belief people have, there will be good ones and bad ones in just about every group.

I'm afraid that it's human nature for a certain percentage of people to be awful to others, regardless of how much you try to convince them otherwise.

6. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Aug 4, 2005
    fl
    "Righteous authority in any segment of society can restrain wickedness by example and enforcement."

:worried:

7. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    I'm thinking that we are in a more peaceful world. Major world powers don't go to war with each other any more. The Internet has turned us into a global village.

In our home country, violent crime rates are down for the fifth straight year.

But if we are looking for a source of what evil there is, please note that the number of atheists in prison is far less than their proportion within the general population, so it must be somebody else coming up with the evil.

Yes, there are some cesspools in parts of the world where they don't believe in things like equality and freedom of belief, but give them time and they will learn just like we did.

8. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

Mar 29, 2012
    FEMA region 5

You are right, "Religion" has been the cause of every major war for thousands of years.

What I will tell you is you have to be careful how you stereotype people. Just because people of a certain faith or "religion" "blame hideous acts on the nation pulling away from your superstitious beliefs... a killing, or a natural disaster" is because we realize that there is only good and evil, Darkness and light. If an act is not of God, It is of Satan. Plain and simple. There is no grey area, there is no in between.

Also, be careful not to stereotype anyone that reads a bible or talks/teaches of the Kingdom of God as being apart of a "religion". I read my bible, teach of the Kingdom of heaven and God's love but hate religion as that is what Jesus taught. Jesus went up against religion time after time in the bible...

Just something to think about before you make typical stereotype comments to anyone that quotes the bible or teaches of the Kingdom of God.

9. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    I wasn't stereotyping, as I didn't say every Christian. I said I specifically tire of Christians who blame a flood on homosexuals, or a shooting on secularists who have forced god out of the classroom.

After 9/11 and Katrina these were the excuses given. A polititan said e movie massacre was because god has removed his protection from us, due to secularists having prayer taken out of school. What BS!

How would you like to be blamed for such atrocities?

10. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

Mar 29, 2012
    FEMA region 5
    Although you did not say every Christian, you did bring up a whole list, in which I quoted, of things that Arc never said a word about. Since Arc did not mention any of the stuff you were "sick of" yet his post was about his faith, weather you like it or not you made a direct correlation to Christians as a whole.

For you to bring that stuff up is putting people like Arc and myself in the same category as those people.

11. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    He specifically spoke of sodomy and homosexuals, humanistic education, and the teaching of evolution. It is plain among other things he is point the finger at the two targets I pointed out.

He also points out if you are not with god you are "wicked" and will be destroyed.

The American Taliban Strikes Again.

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    :shocked: Aren't some of these responses amazing! I find myself wondering how some of these guys find their way to work, everyday? This, also, has me wondering how many respondents actually took the time to read what I posted?

Thank you, Mike! It amuses me to note that, in certain respects, you and I are a lot alike. I read the Bible everyday too, always say grace and thank God for, both, the protection I enjoy as well as the food that I eat; and I, also, have a nearly impossible time trying to associating myself with any of the popular religions. The way I see things too many contemporary religions (including the original one) have drifted away from, both, God and His expressed will.

Still, I know better than to categorically blame everything that's wrong with the world on either God, Himself, or popular religions. The Christ did say, 'Enter ye in at the strait gate; for, wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction; and many there be which go in thereat. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.' - Matthew 7:13-14

These remarks are closely followed by Christ's admonitions against false prophets and their specious teachings: 'Beware of false prophets which come to you in sheep's clothing; but, inwardly, they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so, every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but, a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit; neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. ....... Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.' - Matthew 7:15-20

My personal experience? As you've indicated: Attempting to be a true Christian is, indeed, a lonely, often difficult to discern, path to spiritual salvation. Sometimes the only thing I'm certain of is that salvation, itself, does indeed exist. The, 'trick' is to avoid: evil in all of its myriad forms, both extrinsic and intrinsic human nature, (Which can be overwhelming!) and the many lazy and self-serving temptations which make it so very difficult for every mortal soul to finally discover itself.

The scriptures from Saint Matthew quoted above, though, are good advice. I do, and have for many years, tended to evaluate my fellowman NOT by what I'm told, NOT by what someone says to me, but by actions and deeds instead. (Nobody said it was going to be easy - Right!) ;)

13. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    Read my post above your last. You singled out homosexuals, and those who would teach evolution as wicked, and worth of gods destruction. You also elude to this nation being founded as a christian nation. Did I misunderstand?

14. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

Mar 29, 2012
    FEMA region 5
    Yes and No in my opinion. Its not, worthy of God's destruction, its Unworthy of God's grace.

I will quote myself here:

Evolution is a deceptive lie. A lie is not worthy of Gods grace and is punishable by eternal separation from God.

Homosexuality is unnatural and not as God intended. Therefor it is punishable by separation from eternity with God.

Again, there is no grey. If its not light, it is dark. If it is not truth, it is lie. If it is not of God, it is of Satan.

Gear, Be advised. Im not looking down on you pointing my finger, just trying to help you understand where true followers of the word stand.

15. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    It is a good thing I care not what you, nor any other "true follower" thinks. Not untill you start pushing it into public policy. In other words, keep it to yourself.

Believe in bronze age myths if you like. Heck, believe in rocks if you wish, just don't cast them at me!

16. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

Mar 29, 2012
    FEMA region 5
    If you don't care what we think why did you wonder over to the " Religious Issues" section of GT?

If you don't believe in God and don't care what we think, that leads me to believe you are just here to start pointless arguments?

What makes them pointless? Well the fact that you dont believe, You dont care to believe, you dont care to or find interest in what we think, etc. So really, there is no point in you coming in here and posting at all...

Kind of like the (insert brand here) fanboy that comes to a Glock forum and Hates glocks and just posts about how crappy they are. If you dont like them why are you here?

17. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    I said I don't care what you think of me.

I'm open to discussion, but I will stand up to blatent homophobia and attacks on reason, science, and education. As long as you guys wish to post that which can be disproved, in an attempt to spread your beliefs, I will try to counter in an attempt to spread enlightenment.

18. The hyperbole from this church is little more than apocolyptic silliness. It focuses too much on blaming institutions and not changing people's hearts. It's sort of ironic that they have adopted the blame mentality so characteristic of secularists.

Some of the statements from LetGodBeTrue (my comments in blue):

"Learn here about trends, polls, majorities, sin, the future, and a right worldview." AND "As the world gets worse..."
    They present no scientific, legal, or historical, or even biblical evidence to substantiate that the world is actually getting worse.

"Corrupt governments and sinful rulers increase evil..."
    I see no evidence of more corruption at this time in history. Measuring this with validity and reliability is extremely difficult.

"Technological advances have increased evil."
    Gunpowder? Gutenberg? Iphones? This statement sounds like something from the Unabomber.

"A decline in true religion increases wickedness."
    Religion ebbs and flows through eras: Renaissance, Industrial Revolution, etc. These peaks and valleys are contrary to this church's statement As the world gets worse.

"The Beatles and Hollywood ruined morals everywhere,..."
    I personally think that some popular culture confirmed beliefs about America's gradual decline in the world. We continue to see this decline with the rise of Asia. Religious people (and others) vehemently like to deny this and lash out at their hated institutions.

I could also point to examples where America is getting better. Slavery is gone. We no longer slaughter Indians (of course, we already got rid of them).

I actually partially agree with some of their assessments, including urban-rural differences, humanistic education, and the dumb media. They discuss these with such ludicrous language and syntax however, so it's hard to take them seriously.

19. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

Mar 29, 2012
    FEMA region 5
    This is my problem with people like yourself. When you try to be as polite and inviting as possible when explaining your beliefs to them and they just cross there arms and say "well I really dont care what you think of me..." as if I am sitting on top of some high horse looking down on "all sinners".

Thus the reason I posted:

First you say you don't care what we think and we should keep it to ourselves, Then you say you are open for discussion, then you just go with the always prevalent "well I don't care what you think about me anyways..." Its really a vicious cycle that never gets anywhere.

20. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    I guess I missed all the politeness in the OP. i don't see being called wicked and being told I will be destroyed very polite.
    Being told if it is not of your truth it is a lie, not of your god it is of satan, which goes along with the first post. So while you are not pointing your finger, you are telling me from your standpoint, and that of all tru believers, I am of Satan's evil and doomed to hell. So very polite of you.

The original post explicitly pointed to the increasing evil being a departure from the tenents and axioms, he further explained, which included secularism and homosexuality. You echoed the belief saying they were not of god, so they are of Satan.

Again, I don't care what you think of me personally, I simply think the OP's sermon was anti-gay, anti-education, and anti-secularist. The OP posted his sermon for the "atheist types" and I gave him my opinion. I'm you or the OP don't like the feedback, stop putting it out there.