close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Daddy's new baby.

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by airmotive, Dec 21, 2008.

1. airmotive

airmotive
    Expand Collapse
    Tin Kicker

Santa came early for both wifey and me. We did our little Christmas last night before heading off for the touring Christmas with the families.

I am now the proud daddy of a EOS 50D + 28-135mm. I was hoping for a little Rebel, but wifey really went all out. It looks like I will now be joining a half dozen other D-photo forums...sooo much to learn. Perhaps I will take a competantly framed, properly exposed photo in full-manual mode before summer.....perhaps.

Wish me luck!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Rutha73

Rutha73
    Expand Collapse

Congrats! just throw it on M and play around with it. I have heard Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good read. I learned on an AE-1 wich is all manual, so when i got my XTi I had a basic understanding of what to do. Have fun with it!

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo
    Expand Collapse

Ah, the kids today. :rofl:

The AT-1 was fully manual. The FTb was also all manual - and fully mechanical. Pentax K1000 was all manual. Nikon FM was all manual. Canon AE-1 had one auto mode - shutter priority.

Of all the camera I ever had, my AE-1 was the most used. I loved that little thing. Never failed me.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty
    Expand Collapse

This kid appreciates her AE-1. :hearts:

I would rather use it than my DSLR, it's just that film isn't free :rofl:

5. spober

spober
    Expand Collapse

NICE CAMERA.IT REALLY FINISHES UP WHERE THE 40D LEFT OFF.Canons answer to nikons D300.

6. airmotive

airmotive
    Expand Collapse
    Tin Kicker

In the spirit of :needspics:

I felt obliged to post the first decent shooting-related photo I've taken with the new rig. Using the kit lense and sunlight in simple sports mode and using the 6fps. I needed a little faster shutter speed than the sports mode was giving me (to freeze the empty shell casing), but I am catching on pretty quickly. The datatag says I shot 1/512 sec at F/5.7 and ISO 1600...again, all set by the camera. But using this I can now start making my own adjustments....sooooo much to learn!!
    There's a weekly photography class offered here in Indy for $30 a class that I will certainly be attending.

Thanks for the links to the various D-photo forums, too!

Anyway, there are several flaws in this photo I can spot, and probably several hundred a pro could spot, but it's still the first photo I've taken that I would be proud to send someone a print of. Feel free to critique.

[​IMG]

7. Rutha73

Rutha73
    Expand Collapse

HA HA! damn kids!!!:embarassed: I never saw the manual and just used it in manual mode:embarassed:. I just looked up the manual online and learned about the shutter priority mode... Thanks for the info! :wavey:

8. airmotive

airmotive
    Expand Collapse
    Tin Kicker

Ah, kids these days...(hey, I'm only 40!)
    I learned on a vintage 1950's Argus 35mm that I found in my grandpa's closet (the kind you had to manually cock the shutter on the lense). No manual. No idea what I was doing. No SLR. Complete guesswork and then had to pay for film and developing on an 8th grader's allowance. So I took lots of notes. I only wish I could remember half of what I learned back then.