close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dad brought this back from WW II

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by hsprincipal, Apr 15, 2012.

1. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

Nov 19, 2011
    Kentucky
    Can someone tell me where I can get an original set of grips for this one? .38 S&W.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    That gun is a S&W victory model. The original grips looked like these.

http://www.gungrip.com/detail_WW38__6__S&W%20GRIPS.html

The barrel looks to be cut down since there is no barrel lug and the lanyard ring has been removed with the hole plugged. In all honesty if that was the way I recieved it from my Dad, I'd leave it that way.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

3. 257 roberts

257 roberts

Mar 18, 2012
    I wouldn't touch it!!!!

4. EBay often has older grips for reasonable prices. I got this old 2" Victory model for pretty cheap. It had been refinished, and had some crappy grips on it. I got what you see in the pic off EBay.

[​IMG]

5. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

Nov 19, 2011
    Kentucky
    I do not plan on refinishing or anything. Just thought it might be nice to have some original grips. My dad never told me that he had any modifications done to the gun, but I think he may have. You make a good point about the barrel and the lanyard loop. I've put a couple boxes through it and it runs good. He gave this to me just before he passed last August at the young age of 89. Aren't a lot of those old heroes left. :patriot::patriot:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  6. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Dec 30, 2011
    Troy, MI
    Nice gun. Can't help you with the grips. Sorry:wavey:

7. porschedog

porschedog

Sep 29, 2009
    Nice gun, enjoy it

I have a 1915 S & W 45 that had the barrel swapped out at some point

I'm trying to find an original barrel but have not found a viable source yet

8. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Jan 25, 2008
    New England
    Interesting piece. Was the barrel cut back on that one?

This is the one my dad owns

[​IMG]

9. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    I think you'll find that the grips that are on it now are more comfortable. The originals are to small and the gun shifts around in your hand under recoil.

10. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I may be wrong but I don't know if I'd want to shoot it without the froward lock up. I guess if it shoots ok then that's good but S&W's like that are suppose to lock up at the rear and also in the front.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Just keep the stag grips. It's a lot nicer than the original roughly finished wooden grips.

12. Teej

Teej

Oct 16, 2008
    Any idea of the history behind your dads pistol? You state he brought it back from WWll. Where did it come from or how did you father obtain it?

What was your fathers job during the war and where did he serve?

A very nice piece. Treasure it. I hope you take the steps within your family to make sure the pistol stays in your family for generations..........