close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cystoscopy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hines57, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Some of you may have followed my previous thread about possibly having kidney cancer. I am still having testing done, but so far most of the results have been pretty good.

Now I have to go in on Monday and have what will hopefully be the final test. I had never heard of a cystoscopy until last week and now I wish I hadn't heard of it. Apparently they want to stick a camera up the dangly parts to look at my bladder and kidney.

Anybody else been subjected to this and is it as bad as it sounds?

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

Yes and yes. I'll leave it at that.

3. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

No, have not but best of luck to you. Hope everything turns out well.

4. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

If you're properly anesthetized and I'm sure you will be you won't feel a thing. Good luck.

5. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Yep.... should be considered some form of torture .... not pleasant ....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I've been table side (standing behind the urologist) in a couple hundred of them. It sounds really bad but if you were to watch one in person it's very simple. You'll be asleep or at least twilight I assume?

The scope is lubed up very well and I promise your urethra will handle it just fine. I've never talked to a patient post op but as an observer I would imagine maybe a day of slight soreness and discomfort. Don't fret over it too much.

Are they going up through the ureter or just into the bladder?

7. deputy tom

deputy tom

Good luck.
    << Has had many medical items inserted into the dangly part.:embarassed: All went well. tom.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  8. Garweh

Garweh CLM

If this is done while you are awake, the scope will be a flexible fiberoptic cystoscope. About the diameter of a pencil and maybe 18-24 inches long. They squirt lidocaine jelly into the urethra (thru the end of the "dangly parts") and GENTLY apply a clamp for a few minutes to hold the lidocaine in the urethra. This helps to numb the urethral mucosa.

The amount of discomfort depends on how gentle the urologist is. If he/she is gentle, it is not bad at all (EXCEPT when he goes through the prostatic urethra, lots of pressure and made me want to stand up in the stirrups). Over in less than 5 minutes.

They do not tell you the worst part; the pain associated with the first post cysto urination. My urologist told me that "you are going to hate me when you have to pee in a few hours". I did not hate him, I wanted to kill him and wipe out every member of his family! Think about urinating broken glass mixed in with molten lava and you are not even close to how uncomfortable that first urination is!

Enjoy!

9. JBnTX

JBnTX

I've had several and they're no big deal.

There's no anesthesia required.

It's painless, but a little uncomfortable especially when being put in and pulled out at the end.

It has a camera and a light attached to it, and you'll be able to see everything on a monitor.

It's no big deal, so relax and enjoy it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  10. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Is that your job or do you do that for fun? :supergrin:

It will be in office and he said he would use a local, so I won't be put under. I believe he wants to go all the way up to the kidney.

I truly thought that a colonoscopy was as humiliating as it could get. I was wrong. A good sense of humor got me through that, hopefully this also. I am more worried about the procedure itself than what the results could be.

I will post pictures when it's done

11. deputy tom

deputy tom

The worst part of all of the operations was getting the stent removed. That also was with lanocaine squirted into you know whom. I did get revenge showering the mean female assistant as the stent cleared.tom.:supergrin:

12. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

I'm not medically trained but I don't believe they can go up your ureter with a probe while you're awake. It' would be like a having huge kidney stone moving around in there.

I would research it thoroughly before having this procedure.

13. JBnTX

JBnTX

I've had it done 3 times.
    It sounds a lot worse than it really is.

14. gTWO

gTWO

I had a stent pulled out after kidney stones. Felt strange, but not painful. Peeing stung a bit, but was nothing after the KS pain!

15. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

I guess after all the tests I have been through in the last couple of months not much could humiliate me anymore.

Just how big a camera is this?

16. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

After a recent operation, a nurse put in a catheter while I was awake. Even under the effects of morphine, it was very painful. Apparently the sensitivity of these things varies from person to person. I'd take some Lorazepam before the appointment, and a pain killer as a preventive measure if they don't intend to sedate you. A 5 mg dose of Versed would probably make the procedure a lot more tolerable.

17. BlownFiveLiter

BlownFiveLiter

Had a lithotripsy and ureteral stent placement last year. Really didn't feel anything from the man parts, aside from a very slight indication that something wasn't quite right. The procedure was performed under general anesthesia. I didn't tolerate the stent though, so every time I stood up, it felt like something was being torn apart inside of me. Once that stent came out, I had some spasms that felt like I was passing a boulder. The urologist warned me that I'd likely feel like I was passing a stone, and I sure did. The scope passing through the prostate makes you want to hit the ceiling, but honestly, that was the only bad part.

18. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Best wishes for a good test result! Prayers sent:wavey:

19. g29andy

g29andy CLM

don't look at the instrument tray

20. atomicglock

atomicglock

Been there done that. It wasnt pleasant, but its not too bad. In and out pretty quick:embarassed: