close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

cwp class before turning 21

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by SnapCraklePOP, Jul 28, 2008.

1. SnapCraklePOP

SnapCraklePOP NRA Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    does south carolina allow you to take the class before turning 21?

2. Gbuilder

Gbuilder

Dec 31, 2006
    NC
    I would assume so, in North Carolina it is allowed as the certificate of the class does not have an expiration date. That being said, I would atleast wait until I was 20 to take the class so that you are "still up to date" when you put it in for the permit and the sheriff will have no reason to make you retake it. This is what I have done, and this way I can go to the sheriff's office on my birthday with the paperwork.

3. SnapCraklePOP

SnapCraklePOP NRA Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    i have a private class coming up and my sister turns 21 in oct.

4. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Southeast
    http://www.sled.sc.gov/documents/CWPPermit.doc

based on my uneducated interpretation of this - you can take the class any time after your 18th birthday, and apply for your permit once you reach 21st birthday....

your sister is good to go.

5. Grayson

Grayson

Jan 18, 2006
    Huh, I asked my Sheriff about that earlier (before *I* was 21, natch), and he said no. And he's generally a pro-gun guy as far as I know. Eh, things could well have changed since then though.

6. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Southeast
    Ghostbuster - the OP asked about SC.....

as I read the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division website an 18, 19 or 20 year old can take the class and then apply for the permit on their 21st birthday.

now my opinion doesn't mean anything..... ultimately it depends on whether or not the instructor signs off on your application and SLED processes it.