close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cut your own damn food kid

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bilbo Bagins, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Jul 11, 2003
    Republic of Texas
    I've seen it. Still can't believe what a sissified society we've become.

I was wandering around on a ranch with a Zippo and a fixed blade by 6. These days folks would think that's crazy. I have a theory about delegating (or not) personal responsibility at a young age.

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    When my nephew was @6 he stayed with me for two weeks. He wanted me to cut crust off bread/etc. I told him to eat it all or at least eat up to crust. He did every meal after that. His mom came to pick him up and he wants "mommy" to cut crust off bread. :(

3. NIB

NIB

Jul 26, 2002
    Lost Angeles
    I was cooking my own food at 5 years old!

4. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Guess I didn't get the memo on over-protection. My philosophy is simple, if there is a credible danger I destroy the danger/protect my children. But if they fall down and go boom... "Get up, brush off, get back to it." Worked with my 15 year old, will work with my 9 month old (already is... you know as a parent when they are hurt, then you coddle them when it's real... but a bump? Meh... creates massive wimps).

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky

By 8, my nephew was field dressing his own deer. maybe earlier - he started killing deer and turkeys at age 4. He has his own guns, bows, knives, and was saving for a new Bennelli shotgun last I heard.

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx

No freaking crap. It amazes me what's not publicly mocked these days. I couldn't live with myself if I acted like most people do.

7. MB-G26

MB-G26 Queen of Fail Lifetime Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Missing Sharon
    <---- is a helicopter mommy of a totally independent 23 yo who runs his own life, and has just started his ASU post-grad program.

<---- cross me, and I might just kill ya.
    <--- Touch or give my kid trouble you're doomed.
    Muuuhahahaaaaaaaaaa .........................

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  8. Who in the hell cuts pancakes with a knife?

9. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

Man -- if I really need to, I'm returning those pancakes to the cook, that's for sure...

10. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Aug 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Just another sign that America is no longer raising warriors. Do the Muslims or Chinese cut their children's food? Never mind--we'll know soon enough.

11. brianfede

brianfede

Apr 7, 2011
    Chicago Area
    A generation of parents that enable their children. Same parents will want to solve their kids problems and won't ever want their kids to be sad. These kids will lack self perception and take no accountability. It makes me sick to my stomach. Mmmmm now that I think about it kinda reminds me of our commander and chief.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. dbcooper

dbcooper

Mar 2, 2011
    We have 1 we have to help but he's autistic. The rest are on their own.

When I was 5 I cooked my own pancakes, nevermind cut them.

13. fusegsp

fusegsp

Jan 5, 2009
    Iowa
    That's nothing. I was out hunting and killing my own waffles at three. Ain't talking Eggo's. These were big, mean Belgians.

14. Keoking

Keoking

Jan 4, 2005
    Rowlett, TX
    My wife may get laid off soon, and I've been trying to think of ways to put her to work at home.

I'm looking forward to NOT cutting anything up myself.

15. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Kansas
    I think my mom/ grandma cut my meat for me until I was around 5 or 7. Then I had to do it myself. If I would have asked my mom to cut my food for me at 12+ years old she probably would have said "do it yourself dumass." Not kidding. Those probably would have been her exact words.

That's just stupid. There's no way I would have wanted me mom to cut me food for me at that age, especially a restaurant. For one because it is embarrassing but also because I was probably hungry and wanted to eat as soon as my food hit the table, not wait for my mom to cut my food into little bites.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. BEER

BEER bad example

May 2, 2006
    Dayton, Texas
    this is the kind of crap that's made me avoid more than a few friends who have kids. i have this medical condition where i have to mock and ridicule people for coddling their kids.

people these days don't let their kids play outside or eat dirt and then they wonder why their kids have no immune system and are "allergic" to everything outside the house.

17. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Why is the middle father/son not at the bottom? HH

18. NeverMore1701

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Because even stupid rednecks are manlier men than sissy little nancy-boys.

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    True, but are they better fathers? HH

20. NeverMore1701

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    In general, probably.