close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Customs: You can't bring our double edges knives home!

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by Fox, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    USA
    I purchased a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat folder knife at the PX and carried it on missions in Iraq. But Customs declared them illegal in the USA, so we can't bring them home with us.

I am livid!

A dagger may be illegal in a few states like CA, NY, and MA. But they are legal to own in most others, including my home state of WA.

Please write your congressmen about this issue. I gave my $80 combat folder to another Joe rather than toss it in the trash with the "purchase price" that he would promise to pass it on rather than tossing it in the trash when it was his time to go home.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. More bull crap, a hidden issue that the seller should have made you aware of at the time of purchase!

It is currently ok to sell here in the USA but not bring back from over seas, pure bullcrap!

3. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    USA
    I am going to write letters to my congressmen, I am going to contact some NRA reps about this issue too. We gotta turn this around.

4. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

I went through similar crap when I processed back stateside from Iraq.

Is there a current protocol that prevents mailing it home?

5. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Jul 4, 1999
    West Texas
  6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    That's surprising. I haven't checked on double-edged knives, but we are allowed to send all sorts of knives, swords, antique rifles, etc. Some of them I can't mail from my FOB, but I can do iot from a bigger one. Did you try just mailing it home?

You know, I actually can mail a knife like your from any FOB here - it just has to be under 6" long (blade), ragrdless of whether it's double-edged. For knives over 6" I have to go to a large FOB that offers complete mail services, but I can mail a sword home if I want.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  7. NDC187

NDC187

Jan 9, 2008
    Texas
    i have the same knife and I have traveled all over the place with it. I just pack it in a bag for belly loading.

8. 31F20

31F20

Jul 14, 2009
    CO
    Sorry about the knife. We vote for these people.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  9. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    USA
    Too late now for mailing it home. I am home, the blade is gone. We need to change these laws.

I suspect that there is no such law on a federal level, just a policy created by some officers who think the rest of the USA is like the restrictive "blue state" that they came from (ie CA, NJ, etc).

10. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

That or a totally un-American resentment in general. Not everyone likes us....the folks at JFK made that obvious when I landed there inbound from Shannon, Ireland.

11. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

Sep 6, 2005
    Just don't get caught carrying one concealed. :supergrin:

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    On the knife issue, yesterday I talked to the guys doing customs inspections of duffle bags at Camp Phoenix, in Kabul. They said we can take any kind of knife or swrod we want in a checked bag - antique guns have to be mailed home, however.

On the way over, we had a contract flight all the way to Kyrgyzstan, so we flew on a commercial plane (stewardesses, movies and all) with holstered pistols, knives and rifles laying on the floor under our seats. that was different. We just had to leave them on the plane when we got off in Iceland, Germany and Romania.

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I just went thorugh customs twice (into Qatar and out of Kuwait) while coming home on R&R, with 3 knives with 10-12 inch baldes (Afghan souvenirs) and had no problems with customs - they said any knife or sword is fine, as long as it isn't a switchblade.

14. We brought them home, Benchmade Infidel, but they didn’t know; Spread the word to all so they can properly hide them prior to going through customs. It is pretty sad that they confiscate things that are legal in most of the county. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Well, sorry about your knife, I wrote my congress man 6 months ago about it, and welcome home!<o:p></o:p>

15. You cant mail blades over a certain lenght, switch blade stye, or double edged blades. Trust me I tried, in Iraq and in Kuwait, The only way is to smuggle it out, sad if you ask me.

16. tc556guy

tc556guy

Mar 15, 2000
    Upstate NY
    Guys coming over for OEF should know that as of the last month or so, the rules for mailing guns home have changed. Previously any antique firearm over 100 years old was OK. Now all centerfire rifles regardless of age are forbidden for send backs; anything to be mailed home must be percussion or flintlock.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I went through customs in Kuwait last month and specifically asked the customs inspector about the 3 knives I was carrying with 10-12 inch blades each - they said any knife or sword is fine as long as it isn't a switchblade. Since that is also consistent with US law and restriction applicable to civilians and since I got the same answer from the customs inspectors in kabul, I see no reason too doubt it. Other guys I know have had the same experience.

Also, while there iis a 6" blade length limit on parcel post/1str class packages, you can go to a full service post office on a big FOB and mail the longer knives and such by, I believe, priority mail. They can't mail them from where I am, but we mail them all the time, along with guns, from Camp Phoenix.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  18. nothing

nothing Advertisement

Feb 24, 2002
    Brandon, MS
    The switchblade issure really concerns me. One of my E-7's and I have microtech automatics. We didn't have any issue getting them out in 2005 as long as they were checked. Now it sounds like we can't even put them in checked luggage. What gets me is they sell Benchmade Infidels at the PX at Seitz. WTF, AAFES will sell you a 270$ knife with no way to get it home?

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I just thought if this old thread again, because my detachment just got issued Applegate-Fairbairn combat folders, the big ones, that we get to keep. Pretty cool deal.:supergrin:

I Don't expect any trouble getting them through customs.

Also, this isn't a double-edged knife to begin with. It's single edged with a false edge on top. That kind of makes the premise of the original post, that you can't take home double edged knives, irrelevant.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009