close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

custom Delta Elite or Fusion 10mm?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Mountain10mm, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

Dec 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I had a foray with a Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB and had nothing but problems with it. The slide froze to the frame after the third shot...after a trip to DW and several attempts at pardoning the gun, I happily sold it at a significant loss. My first attempt at a 10mm in a 1911 was sour to say the least.

I'm thinking about it again, but don't want to look back and say I should have known better than to do it again.

I like to shoot real 10mm's not CCI blazers or Remington's UMC stuff, but Buffalo Bore and similar reloads. Can the newer Colt Delta Elites handle full power ammo? I would like adjustable sights, match barrel, ambidextrous safety, some checkering, and a GARAUNTEE to work.

Gentlemen help me out here. Any approach I take will cost a few buck$, should I get a Colt Delta Elite and send it back to Colt's custom shop for my accoutrements, or have a custom Fusion made? Price will probably be within $200 or so dollars of each other once all is said and done. Fusion is run by a former DW employee (maybe he was even the owner), so I’m a little nervous about Fusion’s quality and reliability after my Dan Wesson experience. Kimber might be an option, but for some reason, they seem like the Ford’s of the 1911 world – everywhere and not of the utmost quality. (I’m not trying to offend Ford owners, they just have a sales by volume approach, different than say Ferrari.) Wilson Combat, and Ed Brown are great (the Bugatti’s of the 1911 world), but out of my price range.

How reliable are the DE's and Fusions with full power ammo?

Thanks.

2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    of the 2, i'd choose the Colt.

Bob Serva used to own Dan Wesson, He sold it to CZ-USA and later he started Fusion.
    FWIW, it seems like the DW quality went up after Bob Serva left.
    Some are happy with there Fusions, but others had problem guns.

another option that you may want to look at is the Springfield Custom Shop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

3. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

Dec 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Quack,

I will look into Springfield; I didn't know they offered anything in 10mm.

It's also interesting what you said about DW and Fusion. I greatly appreciate the opinion.

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    they don't offer any 10mm as a standard item, but they have made 10mm's in the Custom Shop. The picture that i posted above was a 10mm that they built in i think 2008. they also had the 10mm Omega years ago.

5. remat

remat

Mar 19, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Please post what they say, I have been curious if they would build a 10mm (other than the 10mm Blaster which is in the custom shop catalog). Another option is that Wilson will build a fullsize 10mm.

6. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

Aug 4, 2009
    custom colt!

i would love to have a custom DE.
    i have a DW RZ-10 thats been modded up by the SA custom shop but ive always wanted a custom DE as well.

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Colt over Fusion

8. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    :whistling:

9. :rofl:

10. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    I was thinking Taurus Custom Shop. :rofl:

The parts may fall off, but at least you know what to expect.

11. Yeah but where is the fun in getting exactly what you ordered?

"Fusion is like a box of chocolate you never know what your going to get"--F.G.
    Honestly though by looking at TOS the picture that BS post on there are SOME truly nice looking pistols. Sometimes I forget the reputation that they have here and could actually see myself ordering one. The I snap out of it and realize that I am not a gambling man.

12. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    I came CLOSE to sending in a deposit on a 9mm bobtail. Glad I didn't.

13. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

14. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

Aug 4, 2009
    will STI make you a gun without the billboard?

15. Texas Bulldog

Texas Bulldog

Oct 28, 2009
    Im very happy with my Fusions.

I have had nothing but great dealings with the company and my 1911's from them have been nothing but amazing.

I do love my Colt Delta though as well as my STI perfect 10. I LOVE 10mm!

16. Bulldog where in TX are you? I would love to take a look at that Fusion if you are anywhere in the D/FW area.

17. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I'd go with a Wilson 10mm or an older stainless Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup Match, if you can find one. They are GREAT guns.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  18. Texas Bulldog

Texas Bulldog

Oct 28, 2009
    San Antonio :wavey:

i may be up visiting family Jan 15th-23rd. I'll find out soon actually and if so i'll be driving and can bring my Fusions for sure :cool:

19. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

Dec 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have seen some older Gold Cups on gunsamerica or gunbroker but wasn't sure as to the quality (of the older models). I know at some point in the Delta Elite's history they had problems with the frame cracking. I have been told it was due to the shape of the slide lock notch. I have no idea if it's true or not, but just hearing of something like that makes me leery of the older models.

Does anyone know what the exact problem and cause of the problem was? Perhaps it's all internet hearsay.

Thanks all for your advice. Greatly appreciated.

20. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    Absolute no-brainer. You are in Colorado so call Luke Volkmann and talk to him about building you one: http://www.volkmanncustom.com/

I've handled a few and one of these will be my next 1911. MachineGunTours on West Colfax has one in the case if you want to go fondle one.