Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Custom Build Question

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by thecableguy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. On another thread there was some talk about custom and semi customs. Well Harrison Custom came up and Paul said the wait time was 4 yrs on one of his builds. I was thinking couldn't you just get someone else to build you the exact same gun or is that a no no with smiths? I mean like the exact same gun same parts and all an identical copy if you will. What would stop another smith that doesn't have the wait from building a TRS or CQB or the Harrison Custom Carry package? Besides just ethics.

I know Chuck trolls :tongueout: here sometimes I would love for him to answer this.
  2. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Most of the LTW smiffs would pretty much do a similar job on any build more or less, but you would be hard pressed to find any of those guys taking new work, or with a wait time any less than Harrison's.

3. I'm obviously not a smith, so my POV is just from a customer's POV. To me, A Package from a smith, is just that, it's NOT a custom build.

My definition of a custom/full-custom is when EVERY part of the gun is picked over and have special touches to them (i.e., different serrated/check pattern, shape, etc). And everything on that gun is built and shaped to the customer's EXACT specs. Sure a smith can advise on certain details to make it a reliable and functional gun. But ultimately a full-custom is always the details of aesthetics.

Can two similar guns exist from two different smiths, sure. There are so much one can change before you'll find guns to look similar. Just look at Heirloom, they have 3 of the top smiths in that shop. And some of their guns do look a like. Each smith has his own signature thing, but without paying attention to the minor details, you'll think it was built by one smith.
  4. And I laugh when people say that their Brown, Wilson, Baer are semi-customs. It only makes it a semi-custom IF you changed something from the original spec sheet. If NOT then you just bought a production gun, out of their catalog, with the specs that was designed by the company.
  5. samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX

Wilson and Brown have a pretty good selection of options.

I guess they'd be customized production guns.

Les Baer has fixed sights adjustable sights, front cocking serrations, no front cocking serrations. You get to mix and match and customize to your semi-custom's hearts content.:rofl:
  6. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    What would you consider a semi-custom build, then?
  7. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001

I always laugh when people feel the need to change industry standard terms. What more custom anyways some twit with Brownells catalog or someone smart enough to design and fabricate 90% of the parts that go into a build. :dunno:
  8. To me, a semi custom gun is if you take a base gun and then order it with a few changes. An example would be an Ed Brown Special Forces Carry. One of the base is a SS w/ Gen3 coating, NS and with ambi TS, and it's listed as $2520. And that's going to have some features like:
    • SS frame/slide w/ coating
    • front and rear Novak low mount style night sights
    • chainlink on the front strap, and MSH
    • SF engraving on the slide
    • 3-hole curve trigger
    • standard tactical hammer
    • stainless barrel and bushing

I know you can get SS frame/slide w/o the coating, but to me that's not consider "custom."

However, if I were to change some of those specs or add others, then it becomes semi-custom.
    • naked slide w/o the SF engraving
    • 10-8 black rear sight
    • brass bead front sight
    • Wilson flat trigger
    • carry cut
    • ball cut
    • flush crown barrel
    •*Gen 3 the whole gun
    • commander ring hammer
  9. Labels?

You guys are arguing about labels?

10. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Labels? We don't need no stinkin' labels!
  11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    My GI was built up by Bob Miller, it's flippin amazing.
    Fit & finish are superior to even Ed Brown, everything I've ever wanted.

A Custom built 1911 beats a semi-custom.
  12. packsaddle

Jan 15, 2009
    When you think about it in the context of why we really own guns, the whole custom vs. semi-custom vs. production argument is essentially juvenile.

Of course, this is a gun forum so that is to be expected.
  13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    I do not follow your reasoning.

Not every person is made from the exact same mold. It only makes sense that there
    will be "cookie cutter" production weapons, jazzed-up semi customs and full on customs.

It's just common sense, is that juvenile? :dunno:
  14. rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    The funny thing is that the whole semi-custom tag derived from the internet. Smith's like Yost, Chen, etc call WC and others production. WC and others call their models production guns.
    Heirloom has designs on his website. If you call him and say you want that same exact gun, wouldnt you be getting a production Heirloom Precision? LOL all of it is so stupid.
  15. MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Whoa there buddy..... this is serious business.
  16. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Yeah, no kidding. Custom is C-U-S-T-O-M.

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    My Range Officer is a semi custom then:supergrin:
  18. so are my other 1911s :supergrin:
  19. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    FACT! That is why I went used on a Brown. :supergrin:
  20. okie