Curious what you guys make of this.

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties Issues' started by frank4570, Feb 14, 2013.

1. I hope the video works. This is fairly close to my house.

[ame]http://youtu.be/8jUU3yCy3uI[/ame]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Curious Rifle Windage POI, Ammo Dependent General Firearms Forum Jun 10, 2015
    Curious observations about gas mileage... The Okie Corral May 30, 2015
    So curious why the software change? Introduction Forum May 28, 2015
    OK, now Im curious can someone tell me about the Reloading Apr 1, 2015
    Curious what the going price for a Draco is now? The Kalashnikov Klub Mar 21, 2015

3. Two things pop into my mind. First, footloose. Second, they were looking for law enforcement attention and they got it. I don't think it right as the force used was disproportionate to that being offered to a great extent.

4. Pretty ****** imo. I have no issues with exercising your rights...but most of these people are abusing their rights.

5. Are they doing something which justifies being arrested?

6. +1. I don't know what their agenda is but I can see where the national memorial would like to keep due honor and respect to within the memorial. This form of protest makes these people just seem like disrespectful punks to me.

I would be pissed if I showed up at a reverent place, like the Jefferson memorial, and faced an unruly flash mob!

Though I agree that they may have used excessive force, the "mob" had no intention of cooperating with law enforcement, so I guess their force was necessary to have them stopped / removed. They were given ample warning IMO.

7. Damn hippies! Shoulda stayed off America's lawn!!!!!!!!!

8. Sam Spade

Lifetime Member

I'd be interested in what particular use of force y'all think was excessive.

9. Sorry. Excessive use of force is where a person is cooperating or complying and the police use unnecessary or punitive force against them. In this case, they were warned multiple times and told what would happen if they did not comply. Once you decide to defy a police officer legally doing his duty, you are at fault for whatever happens to you until you surrender or comply. If an officer is violating your rights, the street is not the place to resist. This does not mean the police have the right to open fire on peaceful protesters and use extreme acts of violence against them, BUT, if they refuse to move, the police can use non-lethal force to make them comply.
    If your rights are violated, the courts are there but often, higher-ups correct the situation and you have the choice to pursue further legal action.

#8 GLJones, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  10. Is there more to this story seems stupid from both sides

11. Appears to me that the demonstrators were asked to stop dancing as it was possibly a disturbance. When they failed to comply Park Police were left with no choice but to arrest. I did not see any use of force that was out of line.

12. agreed

13. RussP

Do you know the back story on this? I don't think so.

Dance Off: Court rules against birthday dance at Jefferson Memorial

In 2008, shortly before the 265th birthday of Thomas Jefferson on April 13, Mary Brooke Oberwetter and a group of 17 friends intended to "celebrate and honor the former President by ushering in his birthday with silent dance. They were ordered to disperse by U.S. Park Police officers.

Oberwetter did not comply. She was taken into custody for five hours and cited for "interfering with an agency function" and "demonstrating without a permit."

The Park Police later decided not to press the charges. HOWEVER, Oberwetter filed a suit saying her rights had been violated.

This went through the Courts up to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.

This video from 2011 is the "civil danceobediance", an organized event. Aside
    Live Civil “Danceobedience” at JeffersonDanceParty.info
    As said before, the participants were looking for attention.
    There are more links embedded within the articles.

14. CanMan

Silver Member

15. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

+1

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

16. RussP

This one certainly dried up...what could have caused that?

17. Just another example of the youth of today lacking respect and decorum then challenging their right to lack respect and decorum. Hope they all enjoyed their weekend in jail...