Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Curious how many times it took for YOU to get on?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Sheppick.dan, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Sheppick.dan

Jun 25, 2012
    Good Morning Everyone,

I have been on 2 final interviews so far and haven't gotten either job. I was curious how many times it took you until you were hired on at a agency?

I was able to get the chief to meet with me after my last one and talk about what I could do differently etc etc. He was very helpful and pretty much told me I needed to me more memorable and in a way toot my own horn. He said I passed the interview as did everyone else but when it came down to them discussing us nobody "stood out" in their minds so they didn't hire any of us. He did tell me to apply again and he thought I'd get it the next time after our talk but I was just curious to see how many times it took others.

2. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    One and a half.

First agency I applied at and did an interview called me back two months later asking if I still wanted the position after another opening came up.
  3. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    Once. I was finishing up my Junior year of college, majoring in Police Studies, and "everyone" kept telling me that you had to apply multiple times in order to get hired. I figured I'd go through a couple of hiring processes in order to get the experience under my belt and ended up getting hired with the agency I'm still at today.

That being said, it's normal to have to apply multiple times and with multiple agencies before you get a first job offer. I wouldn't get to discouraged until your rejection notices hit double digits.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3 SDMF

Nov 19, 2005
    Chicago/North Burbs
    Tested twice, hired twice.
  5. longhaulcop

Oct 31, 2003
    3 times with the department that eventually hired me. I tested at three other departments and, one called after I accepted a position with the first department. Keep at it, competition is tough right now.
  6. x_out86

Feb 19, 2007
    Unlike the others here, I wasnt so lucky to get on right away. I worked p/t for a couple departments, but I interviewed with about 7 or 8 agencies before I got picked up full time.

It was very frustrating, especially since I was always finishing in the top. I had so many chief/sheriff interviews that I was getting to know every chief/sheriff in my area and the adjacent counties by first name. Dont let it get you down, competition is VERY tough right now. I know it sucks not getting hired, but if you finish towards the top of interview processes just remind yourself that you are obviously a good candidate and eventually it will pay off.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  7. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Once? Kee-rist, I wish...

Once as a part-timer, way back when. Once as a full timer the first time. Then I swear to you, I can't even remember how many times I tested, interviewed, etc. for departments in the last 2 years. I KNOW I've put out well over 100 apps and taken probably 35-40 tests, probably more. Interviewed with probably a dozen and a half to 2 dozen agencies or more, but finally got on.

Like several members here have said to me (and you guys know who you are), just keep the faith, man. It'll happen if you want it bad enough and are willing to work for it.

Good luck!
  8. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    I applied quite a bit and had to move to Texas to finally get hired on after putting myself through the academy.
  9. 2 1/2 years of taking various tests and interviews with 4 different PDs before going out and testing for the LAPD. Got a hire notice for the LAPD before any others and was preparing to move when I was notified that I was being hired here and decided to stay in NJ.

After several years with my first agency, I took the civil service exam and was picked right up by my current PD within a couple months of the results coming out.

Don't give up, it can be frustrating.
  10. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
  11. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I was originally hired at the first place I "applied". I phrase it like that because it was small enough that the Chief just picked who he wanted, when he wanted. No real "process." While I worked there I applied at a couple of places and was not hired. A coworker with more experience was actually hired over me at one of the jobs. I applied at my current job in Fall 2009 and was not hired until December 2011. Sometimes it takes a while. You just never know.
  12. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    In Minnesota about 20 departments, after giving up hope there I got hired by the first department I applied with in Tx.
  13. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
  14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    So you couldn't get hired in the U.S.?

15. blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    I applied with at least ten agencies. Once I got my first offer and committed, the other offers began pouring in. I should have taken the one of the other offers instead of the initial one.
  16. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    Was that when you created the police department?
  17. blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Now, THAT is humor!
  18. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    First time I got hired, I was #1 on a couple lists, took the first to actually give the offer. Wish I held out for the other, but oh well.

This time around, I've probably tested and/or interviewed with at least 50 agencies. Got as far as the background. I'm not ready to jump ship, but I'm starting to take note of where the life boats are...
  19. rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    Tested twice, hired thrice (First agency, left for another, and came back without testing again). I lucked into the first job as they were testing for three spots and had connections at the second.