close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cultural Difference - young kids drinking

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DanaT, May 30, 2012.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

So I am pretty open minded but some things still strike me as strange.

I am sitting here at dinner and there is a family with two teenage girls. I couldn't tell you if they are 15 or 17, but pretty young.

Both girls are sitting there with their parents (or maybe it's not sisters and only one set of parents and the other girl is only a friend) with a half liter of beer on front of them. And yes they are drinking it.

There is nothing wrong with it, but still, it is shocking to see young girls drinking with mom and dad. I am used to seeing it not around mom and dad... But with mom and dad...

Some things I guess you can never change about a person..

Dana

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I wish the US was this way! If kids were taught to respect alcohol at a younger age, there'd be less kids going off to college and binge drinking themselves to death. Same for guns! Teach kids about guns in middle school (for the states that don't take the first day of hunting season off from school, of couse), and they'll be less kids accidentally blowing their friend's heads off.

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

In my "area" (for the locals, Loxahatchee) it is very common for kids that age to be drinking beer in company of parents (on the patio, at the dinner table or around the yard) but go a few miles in each direction into Volvo territory and that's a very different story. There the kids just smoke pot behind the garage while the parents watch T.V.

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

One thing the OP left out... pretty sure this is happening in Germany, correct?

5. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Yes....hence "cultural differences"....

That is jjust something that is really strange seeing. I see the kids drinking beer without parents, but just sitting at dinner in the Biergarten and drinking with parents is strange..

-Dana

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Forget morality, legality, culture Etc.

Alcohol is destructive to developing brains and nervous systems. Synapses and ganglions are still developing well your 20s. Alcohol interferes with their formation. Not a moral judgement, just a medical fact.

7. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Our culture makes so many normal things "sins" that it is surprising any kid makes it to adulthood sane.

8. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

It is the prohibition that makes anything precious.
    - Mark Twain

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I would imagine modest use presents little, if any danger. We were brought up with wine or beer with dinner for as long as I can remember and when the teen years hit, there was little reason to go out and get hammered every night like our friends. Binge drinking is where the real danger lies, and it is a direct result of the demonization of alcohol in this country. If more children were raised with a healthy attitude about alcohol, there would be far, far fewer drunken keggers and kids in ERs. HH

10. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

Exactly, as the quote from Mark Twain I posted points out, it is the prohibition, the forbidden fruit syndrome, that often makes something so appealing.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  11. AlexHassin

AlexHassin

yeah, growing up with a european family it is so weird that americans do not have a drink with their kids

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

There are a crap load less alcohol related incidents in Germany
    than the US. They may be on to something there!

13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Many neurologists disagree.

I did a lot of digging on this when I found out that my learning disabilities could have been caused by alcohol I was given as a kid. Scotch and wine were used as medicine by my family.

14. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

If Americans could be a little less Puritan in attitudes toward alcohol fewer kids would be trying to get drunk off rubbing alcohol.

15. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

If you don't mind my asking, are we talking about a glass of wine with Sunday dinner or a constant state of intoxication throughout childhood? HH

16. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

While a single data point, I grew up with a fairly permissive attitude towards drinking. If the adults where drinking, I could have a (little) as well. The adults did not drink very much. (in all honesty I grew up exposed to a lot of things in life and was given, what I think, is a healthy "This is part of life, have fun, enjoy, be careful, moderation....)

I probably had 20 alcoholic drinks from 18-30. Less than two a year. It held no mystery for me. Even in high school, I would go "party" but could easily say "no."

At about 30 I started to discover booze and beer and have become a connoiseur. I enjoy exploring what is available and trying them out, not just tanking up on whatever for a buzz. I dont really care for a buzz.

17. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I have no problem with incorporating allowing my son to have wine with dinner, or a beer, when he is a teen. He just isn't going anywhere after, but still not a cultural problem for us to make it a forbidden fruit that he cannot be educated about.

18. nmk

nmk

You can't let them drink because then they'll want to dance. And if there's dancing....

19. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Yup. The US was founded by religious groups that were too uptight for Europe.

20. 97XJ_Sport

97XJ_Sport

I have a friend from Argentina who's been drinking with his dad since he was 14-15.