close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CT State Park Carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by glock_ME, Jun 28, 2011.

1. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine
    Everything I have found says that the CT DEP prohibits carry in state parks.

I also found this stating that the penalty for such an infraction is very small.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0472.htm

I also have spoken to a guy that works for the CT DEP ENCON police that claims while it is technically illegal to carry in state parks they don't usually hassle people for doing so if they are behaving themselves...Obviously that wouldn't stand up in court.

Does anyone have any additional input on this topic?

(Waiting for "concealed means concealed" and "open carry could have prevented this" responses...:whistling:)

2. OldCurlyWolf

OldCurlyWolf

Aug 7, 2010
    According to what I have read, unless you have a CT out of state permit, you had better not carry at any time when in CT since you seem to be from Maine and CT does NOT honor any other state.

3. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine

I do have my CT non-res ccw permit (see my signature line...).

:wavey:

4. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine
  5. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

Nov 16, 2006
    West Virginia
    It is the same doc. Sorry about that.

6. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine

No worries. Thanks for trying to help.

7. BK63

BK63

Sep 15, 2005
    CT
    I've had some conversations with DEP because there is also the law in the link above about hunting that says you can't carry a handgun in state forrest because it's evidence of hunting. I walk the trails a lot, and have come up on some unfriendly dogs and would not go if I could not carry. It's not like I'm going shooting squirrels and rabbits with a 45. I was basically told unofficially if you are concealed and not drawing attention you are most likely never going to run into a problem. I would much rather have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it because I was afraid of some grey area law.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  8. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine

This is exactly what I was told on 2 separate occasions by 2 different DEP/ENCON employees. I'm starting to wonder if they have an unwritten common sense policy that goes against the official policy.

If the penalty is a small fine and removal from the park I'm willing to take my chances.