Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Cruiser Ready storage

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Jamesey, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Jamesey

Jul 1, 2009
    Galt's Gulch
    Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but of all the methods of storing a loaded HD shotgun, cruiser ready (empty chamber, hammer decocked, full magazine) seems the best option. This would require racking the slide, with the distinctive click-clack sound, to make the gun ready to fire. Some say the sound gives away your position to a potentially ruthless intruder; therefore the chamber should be kept loaded & on safe at all times.

My concern is that pump shotguns are not generally drop safe. Most will spend 99% of their time idle/in storage. If the gun gets bumped, dropped, knocked over, with a live round chambered, hammer poised to fall on a firing pin that does NOT get immobilized with the safety on.....well, that would be a serious ND. Also, I wonder about the long term effect of the hammer spring being compressed for months at a time as well as other small parts under tension. It's a trade off. What say the learned, experienced minds out there?
  2. Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania
    That is how I've stored my Mossberg 500 for years. I routinely run the cartridges thru the mag to check function. Do this about once per month. I also run 25 to 50 rounds thru the shotgun every couple of months. Never had a feed problem with it.

I keep my G19 in the bed stand. My wife has a revolver. We never planed to search for an intruder in the house. Our plan is to sit and wait for him to come to us. That's why the shotgun is in the bedroom cruiser ready.

Hope this helps.

3. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I've always kept shotguns cruiser ready. Pistols are at hand for the need-it-right-NOW use.
  4. Kilrain

Kilrain Señor Member

Apr 25, 2001
    On the road to Shambala
    The "giving away your position by racking the shotgun" sounds about as specious as the "sound of the shotgun racking makes them run away" argument. But that's just me.

5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I keep mine with a full tube, safety on and hammer cocked. I have been shooting an 870 pump since I was 8 years old when mad dad gave me a youth model 20g. Its instinctive for me to hit the bolt release as I cycle the pump.

In all honesty though my 12g is in the safe most nights and I keep my P220 with TLR-1 attached on my nightstand.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  6. Jamesey

Jul 1, 2009
    Galt's Gulch
    Elsewhere on GT it has been discussed that a weapon light "gives away your position" to that same intruder, and yet such lights have become common in law enforcement as well as with citizens using them to identify targets before shooting. "Be certain of your target" is Rule #4 of basic firearm safety. Safety is why I've kept my shotgun cruiser ready. If an intruder uses the racking sound as a homing signal I'll be ready to "light him up", first with the light and then with buckshot, if necessary.
  7. Road Man

Road Man

Sep 18, 2013
    North America
    I keep my home defense shotguns and pistols fully loaded with one in the chamber. Pistols are Glock's, so they don't have a safety lever, and the shotguns are 870's with big button safeties that are easy to make ready to shoot with my trigger finger. I should mention that these weapons are locked in quick access enclosures unless they are in my hands. The weapons in my bedroom, both the pistol and shotgun, have weapon lights.

It is just the wife and I. Our plan is to hunker down behind cover and call 911. The weapons are for our defense. I have no intention of actively looking for an intruder.

I have known that my 870 is not "drop safe" for quite a long time.

My biggest worry about having weapons in my home is that a bad guy will find one of my guns and use it against me as I sleep. ALL of my weapons, even those bedside are locked at all times. Yes, this could add a few seconds, but I am a very sound sleeper and I need to balance all of the risks.
  8. Get a Mossberg 500 they have passed mil spec 3443 which requires a 4ft drop test.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
  9. Jamesey

Jul 1, 2009
    Galt's Gulch
    Thanks vafish, I didn't know about the drop test with Mossbergs. I have two model 500s. I think I'll still keep the chambers empty for now.
  10. I keep all long guns cruiser ready, all handguns +1 as it makes life simple... Of course all are always treated as loaded.
  11. Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    I keep mine with a full tube, and one on the lifter (so the bolt is obviously in the rearward position).
  12. BNDIT 1

BNDIT 1

May 27, 2008
    I keep mine hammer down on a snap cap so I don't need to work the release button.
  13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Why on a snap cap,......why not an empty chamber?
  14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    With my M4, I have safety on, chamber empty, with a shell floated on the lifter.
  15. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

Jul 30, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Rifle, pistol and shotgun, cruiser ready. Except for my duty gun.
  16. dtac

dtac dtacproducts

Apr 27, 2014
    Easton, PA
    I wouldn't be to quick in dismissing the psychological effect the raking of a slide on pump shotgun can have on an is a very well known sound from movies, tv, and video could very well alter his choices...(much like the rattle of a rattlesnake's tail would surely alter mine)...if you are worried about giving away your position...don't do it until your in the same the time the noise registers you are ready to that point his knowing you are armed could be a very good thing...but I am neither experienced nor learned...just my 2 cents