Crossbreed Supertuck vs. Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC Holster for 30sf

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DakotaGlockGuy, May 23, 2012.

1. DakotaGlockGuy

DakotaGlockGuy Polymer Artist

I'm in the market for a nice IWB holster and have narrowed it down to two choices:

Minotaur MTAC Holster

or

Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe

Those of you that have experience with either, or both, of these fine holsters, please share your thoughts!

Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I've owned both for similar pistols. The leather is more substantial on the MTAC and needs a little more time to get comfortable, IMO. I like both just fine, only bought the CompTac to try something different. I'll say at this point the crossbreed is more comfortable, probably because I've used it so much more and it's thuroughly broken in.
    In my totally average, non-expert opinion; six one, half dozen the other.

3. DakotaGlockGuy

Thanks SGT,

Quick question for you. Did you get the regular cowhide on the Crossbreed, or did you opt for the horsehide? I'm just wondering if there is a big difference in feel?

Also, the characteristics I'm looking for in order are:

Comfort

Security

Durability

Versatility

Comfort is the most important to me as this will be my first carry rig. I rated versatility last as I don't see myself carrying any other pistol in the holster, so changing out the bodies on the MTAC isn't a big selling point for me.

Thanks again for any input!

4. Hi,

I have had both holsters for a Glock 30. I prefer the M-Tac. Mainly because I carry at 3:00 to 4:00 and the cross-breed has more leather and I found it would dig into my hip/leg when sitting down. I find that once the M-tac is broken in, it is very comfortable. I ended up selling off my crossbreed supertucks.

For me, I just find the M-tac more comfortable and you have the option of getting extra kydex shells for other pistols if you change your EDC. Also, I think the M-Tac if a better made product.

Just my .02...

5. I have the minotaur for my G19 and my brother has the crossbreed for his Ruger sr9c. Have have worn both and like my minotaur better. It has the extra leather that covers up the screws on the backside. The crossbreed's are exposed and don't know if your body might corrode or rust them with time. The minotaur is not as wide so it doesn't bite into your hip. I like the plastic clips, not afraid of breaking them, and the crossbreed's metal clips scuffed up the top of my belt in only a few uses. The clips also are smaller and so less noticeable without the Crosses on them if you tuck your shirt in. Both do a great job though so if you get one you will be pleased.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#5 stash0501, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  6. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

I went with the Minotaur Spartan for my G19. The Spartan is not as "refined-looking" as the MTAC, but it's served me well. The leather on the back (skin) side of the holster isn't as smooth, which actually keeps it from slipping around on the belt -- more secure. Plus, at $69, you'll save a bit.

My brother has the Crossbreed Supertuck for his G29 and he swears by it. I've worn it before and it, too, was comfortable.

You've got yourself two good choices. From what I've heard, Crossbreed's customer service is outstanding. I haven't contacted Comp-Tac since I bought the Spartan, but it did come with Smarties. :supergrin:

7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Sorry. My only exper is with a Bianchi Model 4/4L.

#7 SCmasterblaster, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  8. I've owned both (still own an MTAC). I'd spend the extra $15 bucks on the MTAC and get twice the holster. Better quality & craftsmanship and no exposed hardware on the user side.

9. I had a CBST with the original kydex clips and a M-Tac Spartan. Both were comfortable and worked well. However, I just placed an order for a cowhide Theis holster. Same concept, clips without crosses on them (metal or kydex, your choice), and only $55 shipped.

10. My experience has only been with the MTAC. Used it for both a G19 and HK USPc. Absolutely love this holster. Would not mind having a CBST either. I think this is one of those wonderful decisions in which there is no wrong choice.

#10 Ranger45, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  11. Angry Fist

Angry Fist *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

MTAC.

The versatility makes it better, IMO. Comp-Tac makes great gear.

12. I own a Super Tuck and a Mini Tuck, one for my G19 with a Crimson Trace and one for a Kahr with a Crimson Trace. Love them both. I compete out of a Comp-Tac but bought the Super Tuck when I read about problems with the plastic clips breaking. Maybe that has been resolved now, but preferred the metal clips. Both holsters have a fine reputation.

13. I had two different horsehide versions.
    The one difference I prefer with the crossbreed is the metal clips.

14. I have 2 Supertucks (G27 and Kahr PM9). I might pick up a MTAC for my G23 just to try something different. My 27 and PM9 have laserguards, so the MTAC was out for them.

15. I've owned both and prefer the Supertuck. It's nice you can switch the kydex shells with the MTAC but the Supertuck for me is more comfortable. The steel belt clips hold up better (and yes I had one of the plastic clips break on me with the MTAC) and it distributes the weight of the firearm more evenly.

16. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:agree: with this assessment. Many people like both and you cant really go wrong with either, personal preference I guess.

:50cal:

17. M-Tac for me... I wouldn't even consider the Crossbreed (nothing to do w/ the clips or the religious beliefs of the owner)

IGF

#17 IndyGunFreak, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  18. I can only speak on the crossbreed. I have with the horsehide and combat cut. After getting the tilt and position to fit your body. You Don't realize that you are wearing it. The only complaint I have on it, was the squeaking. I fixed that with a piece of duct tape behind the clips that rub against the horsehide. After that I did not notice it. I've been wearing G22C. HTH

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR

I have two super tucks and a mini tuck. One super is cow, one horse. I, personally, cannot tell one lick of difference. Never owned a MTAC, but the super tuck is GTG. As stated, once adjusted right, you forget you're wearing it.

#19 QNman, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  20. DakotaGlockGuy

Thanks for all the responses!

Two quick questions:

1. Those that have had BOTH the Crossbreed and the Comp-tac, was one more comfortable? and...

2. For those that have the Comp-tac, have you broken any belt clips?