close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crimson Traced Glocks

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by MartinRiggs1987, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987
    Expand Collapse

Is a Crimson Trace worth it on a Glock? Never had one... I can shoot fine by myself... Thank You. Are they worth it, or a waste of cash? Do they enhance carrying a Glock for carry, home defense, etc...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 MartinRiggs1987, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Millennium Member

Order the free DVD demo (if still available) from Crimson Trace and then decide for yourself.

#2 DannyR, Apr 28, 2011
  3. gen4g23

gen4g23
    Expand Collapse

in my opinion its not, some might not agree. but i bought a NIB gen4 g22 and a crimson trace grip laser and luckly I am friends with the guy that runs the gun store I bought it from and he let me return the laser 3 days later. It just didnt do much for me. I was more accurate without it and I do alot of plinking and you cant really see it unless it is darker outside. but I guess it is just a matter of why you want it. but that is just my 2 cents worth hopefully it helps

4. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

Standard sights with a flashlight is probably the best tactical night fighting combination. Night sights by themselves are really only marginally effective.

I have a CT laser on my Gen 1 G17 and I believe that it's useful, if for no other reason than the intimidation factor. There's something about being painted with a laser while hearing "Stop!" that makes a bad guy think twice about continuing an attack.

The downside is the laser adds enough thickness to the grip that the already long reach to the trigger is just a bit longer.

5. Sammael

Sammael
    Expand Collapse
    Ich tu dir Weh.

Any advantage, no matter how small - is worth having.

6. pipedreams

pipedreams
    Expand Collapse

I can't add a lot to what has already been said except under stress you can just point without sight alignment. In my case my hands shake sometimes and I felt it would be an advantage for me. For target practice I can shoot with the factory sights just as well as with the laser. As already mentioned the laser painted on someone has a big intimidation factor.

7. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987
    Expand Collapse

That seems to be the advantage. For the extra expense, I prefer buying more ammo, than a laser. Trigger time and confidence under pressure... not a light show.

8. barstoolguru

barstoolguru
    Expand Collapse
    texas proud

I have one on my Ruger lcp and I love it. Shooting in low light conditions or in positions that are hard to get a sight pic they are great. The price is a little strong at $200+ for a system. There are two types one that fit’s the grip and you can use your own grip and the other kind that clamps on to the trigger guard which you will have to modify your holster. Or you can go the road I went and go on e-bay and get one that clamps on the weaver rail if you gun has one for $22.00 shipping included. I have one on my 23 and it works great, you just have to activate it with a switch. I just got two more in for my friends for there gun. The 22.00 ones come with three batteries instead of two like crimson trace and last longer

9. reloader

reloader
    Expand Collapse

Yes. Have one on my 17 in case i am down and can't see the sites...amputee.

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Watch the video. The laser is for situations where you can't get sights on target.... which can happen quite easily if you think about it.

Try shooting a target at 3-4 yards from the hip, with and without a laser, and then tell us that lasers are a waste!

11. pipedreams

pipedreams
    Expand Collapse

In ideal shooting conditions no advantage but if you are knocked down or find your strong hand injured you will appreciate the laser. Try a combat shooting course where you are required to shoot with your weak hand with the other hand behind your back. I agree the video provides a lot of info.

#11 pipedreams, Apr 28, 2011
  12. firemedic1343

firemedic1343
    Expand Collapse
    Not an Expert!

If the money is not an issue, it's a nice toy. But those things are redonkulously expensive.

13. bikerdog

bikerdog
    Expand Collapse

Got em on my 442 and like them but I'm not sure if they are worth all the $ on the glock with a pocket gun it might be a little different though

14. got2hav1

got2hav1
    Expand Collapse

I have em on g17,g19 and 642 Smith. I love em. Also now til the end of June 50 dollar rebate from CT. That might help make the decision!

15. Sammael

Sammael
    Expand Collapse
    Ich tu dir Weh.

'Intimidation' is NOT the 'only use' of the laser sight. in fact, it's not one of the uses at all. You don't EVER pull your weapon for 'intimidation'. This sounds like the same argument used for racking a shotgun shell into a pump action shotgun. :upeyes:

There is nothing that a red dot on someone's chest will do that looking down the barrel of an armed defender's firearm will not.

That being said - Laser sights are indeed useful for a few things: Split second target aqcuisition in low light, target acquisition when not using the sights (from behind cover without exposing your head), and shooting from the hip if necessary (and in a defensive situation, I can definitely see that coming into play).

I would not consider a CT laser a 'toy'. One of the lasers from Wal-Mart that people buy for their cat - that is a toy. CT lasers offer a good product at a good price, suitable for use to defend your life. Doesn't sound like a toy to me. Do I use them? Sometimes, and sometimes not. But if it's between paying a few extra bucks for something that might someday give me even the slightest edge in a defensive situation - you can bet your bottom dollar that I will take every advantage I can get.

16. Skipper Bob

Skipper Bob
    Expand Collapse

One of these days you will need to shoot from a stance that does not allow you to use the sights. From the hip hight or chest high, around cover snap shot, that is when a laser becomes a real tool you can use to your benefit!

17. FiremanJim

FiremanJim
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

Got one on my LCP and love it,been thinking of the laser guard for my G26

18. jadickson

jadickson
    Expand Collapse

I am getting one. I'm getting one because I'm not a soldier, trained to fire my weapon accurately when I am in a real situation.

We can all sit here at our keyboards and boast about what we would do, how we would react, how we would still have the presence of mind to aim properly because of all the range time we've had. But the reality is, none of us really knows that, except you who have really been there.

The closest I've been was a neighbor's German Sheppard turning on me. Fortunately it was on a leash, so I still have both my arms and my face. But I think back to that moment, how I reacted / failed to react to it, how little time I would have to actually draw and aim my Glock 19.

It comes down to this: at the range, I aim by looking at the front sight on my pistol. When that German Sheppard went into attack mode, my eyes only saw one thing in the entire universe and it wasn't my front sight. The advantage of the laser sight, in my opinion, is that you can look at your target in that moment of panic, not your front sights, which is what most of us will instinctively do. Yes, with enough military training this would not be an issue. But I'm a music teacher, not a soldier. The Crimson Trace system makes sense to me, for me. Your mileage may vary.

19. DaBurna

DaBurna
    Expand Collapse

Just got another one brand new for my Baby Glocks (March 2011 Production Sticker) and I got it off eBay from a distributor...wait and shop for good deals to save u some $$! I just paid $165 for a Crimsontrace LG-626, and CT is running a special that give a $50 rebate on lasers ordered from April-June. My net savings were about $115 off of MSRP!

20. RayB

RayB
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Member

If memory serves, the DVD demo Danny's referring to is called Shots In The Dark, and it's excellent! :thumbsup:

The intimidation factor provided by a laser designator is well documented by both cops and the military, regardless of any personal theories on the matter. Still, even that's no guaranty that some nut-job won't insist on getting shot! :faint:

I sometimes read comments stating that lasers don't replace basic marksmanship... But of course they do! That's rather the point, isn't it? :dunno:

A laser designator ostensibly projects your gun's front sight directly onto your target, meaning you don't have to sight down the barrel to hold zero on a perpetrator. You are free to scan the room, and use your free hand to call 911, turn on the lights, open a door, and if you're really cool under fire, finish your sandwich! :cool:

Should a laser replace basic marksmanship skills? Ideally, no; of course not. I think if it's possible, everybody should undergo the basic training to fall back on. But in some situations, and for certain shooters, a quality laser designator will put them on target when the SHTF and they can’t find their cool! And even then there's usually no guaranty as to how a given situation will play out… Like the man said, it ain't over till it's over! :whistling:

Proper use of lasers and weapon lights does require training and practice. These accessories have long departed the realm of the theoretical--they are proven assets on many weapons platforms. But a shooter needs to give these tools lots of attention and forethought before ever actually needing and using them. And even then, I’d pray you never need any of this stuff! :shocked:

--Ray

P.S. It’s good to see a Crimson Trace ad on GT!