close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Crimping?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Esox357, Dec 13, 2011.

1. For AR's do you crimp? I seen some say yes and others say they never do. One even mentioned that any bullet with a cannelure will not be used? So whats says you? Will it cause any issues with bullet set back or functioning. Mine you this will be brass fired in the same AR and used over. I was always under the impression that all semi's and lever actions required a crimp?

2. creophus

creophus Born Again

Mar 18, 2005
    Florida
    I have crimped and not crimped and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

3. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    The question comes up about once a month. Half the members here crimp, the other half don't. I put a slight crimp on mine.

4. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Montanuh
  5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I don't bother any more.

It doesn't set back so much as it gets yanked out a few thousandths when it comes to an abrupt stop in the chamber. Kinda like an inertia bullet puller.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Yep, so I am in the slight crimp IF there is a cannelure camp.

7. btwiceborn

btwiceborn LONGTIME NOOBIE CLM

Aug 7, 2006
    spartanburg, sc
    I crimp all 223's that have the cannelure. I sometimes taper crimp heavy bullets that have no cannelure.

8. steve4102

steve4102

Jan 2, 2009
    I crimp all my auto-loaders with the Lee Factory Crimp Die cannelure or not. It not only helps secure the bullet it also increases accuracy.
    Here is a little accuracy test, LFCD vs No crimp. Note the slight increase in accuracy.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

9. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    I never crimp my .223, even though most of the bullets I use have a cannelure, never had a problem in my Rock River and I get very good accuracy.

10. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    No crimp here, with or without cannelure. I own a Lee FCD to apply a crimp and didn't like the way it worked the neck. I wasn't testing for accuracy, so no comment on that aspect.