close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crime wave hits myself and neighbors...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock20 10mm, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

So we had our generator stolen this Saturday. About 3 miles up the road from us a corpse was found. Several of our neighbors have been broken into, had cars stolen and a meth house burned down about 4 miles down the road from us.

This is a community whose worst crime was the neighbors dog crapping in someone else yard. Today we as a community got together and have initiated an aggressive patrol and watch. We will be using remote access game cameras, random citizen patrols.

Basically the people around us asked the Sheriff for help. The Sheriff told those people "you are on your own." So we are. Our community will soon get this criminal activity under control. Why?Because we all recognize that the police are not there for us, we must do this ourselves.

The point is simple, my community now fully understands that they are responsible for their safety and security. They have learned first hand from the Sheriff and Deputies that they are not responsible and there is nothing they can do for us except show up when we call... and as I noted the FAST response times are around 15 minutes and the average is 45 minutes.

This weekend we are going to be conducting home security audits as well as home defense training. I will be heading up firearms training and familiarization along with a retired Marine. We the People are uniting to save our community. Maybe we can get the community of the United States.

2. faceplant

faceplant

I like what you guys are doing to lookout for each other.

When you move away from cities these are the response times that come with it.

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

The reason crime succeeds is because communities have failed to work together, to unite against crime. Those that have have won. The true salvation of our nation is not through government or police, but communities, citizens doing what our fore fathers did... looking out for each other. Barn raising? Anyone know what that is? I am fortunate to live in a community that gets it and is willing to sacrifice a bit of self for the greater good of us all.

4. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Well if things work like normal the police will show up in 5 minutes and arrest you for inferring in their rights to rob you.

5. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Forty-five minute response time sure does give you guys plenty of time to hide the bodies. :) j/k

Good luck!

6. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

I don't know the layout of the area that you live in, but if you can control the number of entrance/exit points into the neighborhood, and then put cameras up that take pics of every car passing those points that would be a start. If you can put the cameras at stop signs where they vehicle is stationary, or at least close to stopped, you might get good pictures that can help ID the perps. The only other deterrent would be dogs that bark. Big dogs that bark loudly. Criminals seem to pick easy targets and dogs don't make it easy.

When it comes to this crap it is very difficult to catch them. They seem to be like white-tail deer-they are in and out like ghosts. The big rage these days is middle-of-the-day home invasions in blue collar neighborhoods. They know folks are at work and they come in the middle of the day.

7. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

Good luck and stay safe. :wavey:

8. frank4570

frank4570

Kick their asses.

Sorry you have to go through this bs.

9. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

We have 3 major entry points that we can monitor easily with trail cameras. Part of the meeting today was to establish a fund for these cameras and arrange a body to research, purchase, install and monitor them. During the day it's more difficult as we have several wineries on the road so traffic is high then.

Our plan is to have cameras that we can program to operate between a range of time, essentially in the evening as that's when traffic should only be locals and friends or family.

This pay-day I will be purchasing several cameras for my property as well. I am hoping to get one that will send a signal to my wifes cell phone (my work phone sucks hind teat) so when we are home if someone comes onto our property we will be notified immediately. That will allow me time to react and since I already have a defensive perimeter establish and routes of travel set-up it will be easy for me to circle rapidly and come from behind.

Since many of the people in our community are retired we are also setting up a roving patrol where they will randomly drive the road and look for anything suspicious. Myself and two other younger fellows will take turns on evening shifts.

The pattern we have already noted from the meeting of all the crimes committed is that over 90% occurred between Friday and Saturday, the remaining 10% occurred between Saturday and Sunday. We think the time is between 2200 and 0100hrs. With trail cams we will be able to get facial and license plate information with a date time stamp.

Bottom line... it's going to take a bit of set up but we are motivated (amazing how fear does that for some people) and not going to tolerate this behavior in our community anymore.

10. Averageman

Averageman

Any Old folks in your neighborhood?
    When the crime escalated in our area we organized a bit, but the greatest asset were the retiree's who were key to keeping an eye on the area.
    An Elderly Lady with Bino's a cell phone with a camera and an attitude may be better than private security. She will know exactly who's who and where they should and shouldn't be.
    We actually had 3 armed neighbors clear a neigbors property with the Depuity looking for an armed theif.

11. Skeet732

Skeet732 NRA Life Member

If you don't mind what part of the USA do you reside in. Please be as specific as you can. BTW good luck

12. frank4570

frank4570

Truth. The retired folks know everything.

13. treeline

treeline

Any idea why the crime rate increased? The meth house?

14. Rotn1

Rotn1

Good luck and be careful out there.
    Make sure your team receives legal training, if you know what I mean.

15. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Actually the Sheriff has pretty much told all the people up here to get a gun and that there is nothing they can really do for us. We are on our own. Most of the people don't like the idea of owning a gun but with the Sheriff telling them how it is... they are more open to the idea.

Several folks know that I am prior military and have some decent training and experience, and with that I have been asked to help with home defense as well as firearms familiarization and shooting skills.

Of course my solution for most of these people are either 12GA or 20GA shotguns since they are elderly and are NOT military grade folks. I found some good advice and it's in line with what I will be teaching these people:

Five Basic Home Defense Tactics For A Violent Home Invasion

1. Create a simple a code word or an audible signal that will let your entire family know there is a problem and it's time to react to it. Keep it simple.

2. Designate a “safe room” in your home where every*one can go to at the same time. Make sure the room has needed supplies and can be easily defended from a single point.

3. Do not, under any circumstances, leave the safe room.

4. In your safe room, create a fatal funnel that can be used to constrict assailants into single file, provides defensive cover and allows for a clear line of sight shot for you. A recommendation would be to have a security camera set up so as to monitor the movement and location of the invaders as well as allow you to see who is outside the door.

5. Remain in the safe room and wait for the police to come. Once the police arrive and get the situation under their control and order you from your room (this is where the camera comes in handy) then you may egress and continue with their instructions from that point.

I figure this is simple and will provide them with the best line of defense possible.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  16. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Liberal Coast California. 3 hours south of San Francisco.

17. Drilled

Drilled

Lived in a few declining communities in my life,

You are doing some good things to protect yourselves,
    just be sure everyone is on the same page.

18. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

My suspicion is there are several reasons.

1. Where we live it's pretty remote and this means no prying eyes. There are some abandoned houses (people lost their homes and the relator's can't sell in this market) so meth heads are setting camp in these homes.

2. The economy is also a factor, we are just now starting to feel the effects of Obamanomics where I am.

3. Mexican gang competition is driving them out of the cities.

4. Due to our remote location police patrols are damn near non-existent. In the 18 months I have lived where I am now I have seen the Sheriff AND CHP on our road maybe 8 times. They just don't patrol.

5. People in the major cities around us have a belief that if they set-up shop they won't get caught, also because of our location they assume they can dump bodies up here.

6. Until recently nobody in our community locked their cars, their homes hell they didn't put things away. No need to, we just didn't have crime up here. All it took was some casing and the realization this was a community ripe for robbing and easy to set-up shop. That's changing now.

These are my speculations and I am sure there are others as well.

19. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Fortunately one of the guys up here is a lawyer so we have him assisting us as well as the Sheriff. We are getting advice on what we can legally do and what we can't from both so at least we do have that in our basket as well.

20. PaulMason

PaulMason

http://spotcrime.com/

This might help - if your area is covered.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012