close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creepy; drive by the site of a Japanese internment camp every day.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Oct 11, 2012.

1. jollygreen

jollygreen

Apr 9, 2009
    And we really want to use the supreme court as a barometer of morality and ethics?

I don't think so.

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    No.

I'm using their decision to add credence to the legal fact that rounding up folks indiscriminately is against the Constitution.

If you're going to quote me, please quote the complete sentence.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

3. LawScholar

LawScholar

Aug 23, 2011
    Wyoming
    Perfect.

4. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

Jan 6, 2008
    Nothing does. Like I said, it wasn't perfect. But to express the guilt that's going on in this thread over it is odd. Few of us here have experienced an actual foreign military force attacking our country, or seeing the destruction that was going on across Europe and Asia at the time.

It was believed by those making the declaration of war against Japan and who were charged with repelling a foreign force from our land.

5. Kozel

Kozel

Jan 16, 2007
    46.58N 121.75W
    I will try to stop by gun show this weekend at the site of former internment camp in Puyallup WA.
    Big deal!

A whole lot more Americans died in planned parenthood office you drive by then at that internment camp.

6. Lampshade

Lampshade

May 11, 2010
    I don't think I've ever in my entire life seen anyone try to defend the Japanese internment, but it doesn't surprise me one bit that the first time I do, its on GT.

7. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Oct 6, 2007
    AZ
    Doesn't surprise me in the least. There's also people here who will defend slavery, and proclaim that it was "the best deal of the time" for slaves, and that black people today should be "thankful" that their ancestors were bought and sold and kept in chains.

This place is more amusing and entertaining than TV, nowadays.

8. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    You just don't get the point. These were not POWs. These were US citizens most of them born here who were rounded up and imprisoned.

That didn't happen to American citizens with Italian or German ancestry.

9. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    There was espionage by American citizens of German descent. I wonder why they weren't imprisoned.

10. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    German citizens and Italian citizens were locked up, but not US citizens of German or Italian descent.

11. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    :upeyes:

This link is disingenuous. In support of its claim that Japanese-American citizens were not rounded up en masse, WWII documents with statistics about enemy nationals are shown.

12. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    We weren't threatened by an invasion on the west coast either.

For Japan to do this would have been a logistical impossibility.

13. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    What does abortion have to do with this? You believe that abortion=murder. Fine. How does this wrong justify another wrong.

14. ustate

ustate NRA Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    There is a former Japanese camp here in Utah down in a city called Delta. When my dad was stationed at Ft. McClellan in Alabama the murals in the officer's club had been painted by WW2 prisoners of war, from what I was told after the war a lot of those German prisoners asked to stay in the US.

15. Kozel

Kozel

Jan 16, 2007
    46.58N 121.75W
    I made no such connection, you did.

People get all "creeped out" on the site where Americans were housed against their will decades ago but they go right pass sites where Americans are being killed daily and it does not bother them at all.

History is full of examples of great injustice and we are making our own history right now, which is not any more just or moral then before.

16. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    All right; I will reply to your clarified statement.

Calling a embryo/fetus a human being is an opinion and not everyone shares it.

With the Japanese-American internment, there is no dispute that these were human, and there is no dispute that they were citizens, many of them born here.

It is annoying when people insist on shoehorning their pet political issues into any discussion. Some pro-choicers do it, and the same goes on with pretty much any political issue.

17. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009

There's nothing creepy about them. No one was executed or gassed there. The internees were held there in relatively civilized conditions out of an abundance of caution and released after the war ended. They later were apologized to and compensated.

During the war, every single japanese in the homeland were dedicated to hating and killing Americans. If Operation Olympic had commenced, 100% resistance was expected, why the a-bomb was used.

18. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    It is. You seem to think that rounding up natural-born US citizens of German or Italian descent was common.

You also think that an invasion of the west coast by the Japanese and/or Axis was possible. That was never even an aim of Japan.

19. MAC702

MAC702 Senior Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Clark County, NV
    40 YEARS later...

You left that part out...

20. Never heard anyone defend the internment of Japanese in WWII? I've heard many defend it. Mostly WWII vets who fought in the Pacific. Do I think that it was wrong? Absolutely. Was it wrong based on the consensus of opinion and on commonly accepted moral values? Absolutely. Was it unconstitutional? Most likely. You should expand your circle of discussion if you've never in your life heard of such a thing. Really.

One of the greatest things about GT is that all opinions are represented. Everything is arguable. Everything.