Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Creeping doubt

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Cujo17, Aug 23, 2011.

1. I have reloaded and shot thousands of rounds made on my Lee Progressive press. I have about 600 rounds on hand and I remember having a couple of primer issues while making them. Recently, it has creeped into my head, for no particular reason, a "what if" I missed a double charge(Titegroup). I usually load enough for my immediate needs and have sat on these for over a year with just a one half of one percent doubt. Now I am thinking about taking them apart. Am I paranoid?
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. rewster

rewster Silver Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Rhode Island
    If you are never going to use them because of the doubt, they're not much good to you ! The only thing that will relieve the doubt is to take them down and start over. If you do, be sure and let us know what the results were.

3. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Jan 31, 1999
    When you have doubt, set those rounds aside IMMEDIATELY. During the reloading process is best.

If you have unfounded doubt, you need to increase your medication level.
  4. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I am not a re-loader yet but common since here says when in doubt double check. The risk of blowing one of my hands off (depending on caliber) or losing a gun is not worth the time it takes (regardless of how long) to strip them bullets and double check. Think about it this way if one is over charged and it Kabooms the gun is it worth losing your life, Hand, Eyes, Hearing etc.

No such thing as Paranoid when it comes to something that can kill ya or cause great bodily harm.
  5. Yep, now I'm wondering how long my kinetic bullet puller will last.

Scotch is my medication of choice.
  6. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Save those old, worn-out collets and make a nice necklace for your wife.
  7. Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    This is why I hate presses that screw up on me. I know I am going to get "creeping doubt" later. I hate that. A press that runs 100% does not do that to me. I have a batch about 6 months old that I have the doubt about. They just sit there and taunt me.
  8. A little bling once in a while never hurts the old marriage.:supergrin:
  9. Just another reason to use powders that you can easily detect a double charge.
  10. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Open a You Tube account, set your camera on a tripod and shoot 'em.

Bunch'a flatland wussies.

11. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

Sep 11, 2004
    Raleigh, NC

I tend to agree. I have to go to the therapist.
  12. Conifer, CO. Elevation 8278 feet.

Lack of oxygen makes you brave.:supergrin:
  13. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    That was tough for me to see you go through. I think I'm having secondary trauma.
  14. Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    Squib followed by another bullet is also very bad. I don't shoot slow like those that are gasping for air.
  15. Tpro

Tpro On the mark

May 12, 2011
    Right side of Washington
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I agree with this 100%.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you have ANY doubts or reservations that the equipment you use (or yourself the operator) will have an issue pop up for no good reason, or if your equipment is prone to screwing you...then I would say it's time to change equipment.

I'm not one to blame my tools (and a reloading press is nothing more than a tool) but if you can't get consistent, repaetable, reliable results without you second guessing the tool, it may be time to either repair said tool or replace it.

Life is way too short to deal with junk that can cause you to doubt or hurt or kill you, or worse yet, injure or kill some one else.
  16. El_Ron1

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    Listen up now, this is the voice of experience talkin'. Speakin' of medicated, where's bp?
  17. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Well said.
  18. bush pilot

bush pilot

Jan 29, 2004
    Did I tell you we get chocolate pudding if we all take ours meds today? Gotta go, they're handing out sleeping mats and the cartoon festival is starting.
  19. Dexters

May 3, 2004
    Have you thought about just weighing them instead of taking them apart? If a round(s) are out of spec you could take them apart for analysis. It would be a good time to buy a digital scale if you don't have one.