close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crazy.

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Gunhaver, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

2. Roering

Roering
    Expand Collapse
    Sorting nuts

3. steveksux

steveksux
    Expand Collapse
    Massive Member

The plug for the KKK is just icing on the cake, too... :upeyes:

Not so sure how even if Nessie exists and was a dinosaur, how does that disprove evolution?

Sharks and coelacanths date back in the hundreds of millions of years also. And they've been documented. I guess the lure of imaginary beings is just too strong to ignore... :rofl: Maybe they don't think they can have a valid scientific theory without some mythical being involved?

Randy

#3 steveksux, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

I think the important question is what does the Minhocão teach us about agriculture?

5. Woofie

Woofie
    Expand Collapse
    Disirregardless
    CLM
    1. Project Mayhem

Oh God . . .

I've been debating running for office. Someone needs to inject a little sense into our state government.

6. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

You can't make stuff like this up.

7. scccdoc

scccdoc
    Expand Collapse

8. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

Please do enlighten us about the differences

9. scccdoc

scccdoc
    Expand Collapse

With that type of attitude, maybe you should "look it up"!

10. Norske

Norske
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Loch Ness itself was not formed until the continental glaciers melted and withdrew after the last ice age. :wow:

Which means the Loch itself is less than 10-15,000 years old!

So how does a millions of years old "monster" like Nessie come to inhabit a Loch that is that "young" geologically?

Was it frozen in the ice and survived the thaw?

Like monsters in any number of bad 1950's sci-fi movies?

:dunno:

As for Bigfoot. If it really existed, someone would have produced a dead body or bones by now.

#10 Norske, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  11. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

Asking you to share information is an attitude? If you'd like me to look it up, perhaps you could at least provide a reference that you think expresses this difference.

12. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

It swam there after it got off the Ark.

13. scccdoc

scccdoc
    Expand Collapse

You should know the obvious answer. Try "Websters"

14. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

It's connected to the ocean but only through shallow rivers with man made locks that only spawning small fish can get through. The standard response from the people that just have to believe Nessie exists is that there are underwater caves that connect all the Lochs in the area together as well as to the sea. No evidence for this of course but some people don't concern themselves with that.

15. Woofie

Woofie
    Expand Collapse
    Disirregardless
    CLM
    1. Project Mayhem

From Merriam Webster. Emphasis mine.

Evolution - 4b
    a theory that the various types of animals and plants have their origin in other preexisting types and that the distinguishable differences are due to modifications in successive generations; also : the process described by this theory

Darwinism - 1: a theory of the origin and perpetuation of new species of animals and plants that offspring of a given organism vary, that natural selection favors the survival of some of these variations over others, that new species have arisen and may continue to arise by these processes, and that widely divergent groups of plants and animals have arisen from the same ancestors— compare evolution 4, neo-Darwinism

Look like the same thing to me.

16. scccdoc

scccdoc
    Expand Collapse

Since this thread revolves around "evolution",here's what I found "evolution, Websters":

evo·lu·tion

noun \ˌe-və-ˈlü-shən, ˌē-və-\

Definition of EVOLUTION

: one of a set of prescribed movements

a : a process of change in a certain direction : unfolding b : the action or an instance of forming and giving something off : emission c (1) : a process of continuous change from a lower, simpler, or worse to a higher, more complex, or better state : growth (2) : a process of gradual and relatively peaceful social, political, and economic advance d : something evolved

: the process of working out or developing

a : the historical development of a biological group (as a race or species) : phylogeny b : a theory that the various types of animals and plants have their origin in other preexisting types and that the distinguishable differences are due to modifications in successive generations; also : the process described by this theory

: the extraction of a mathematical root

So 4b seems to be correct, that was "4b". Darwinism ? I do not believe the two terms are freely interchangeable unless you ignore the 1st five preferred definitions. Just wanted to clarify your omission of the previous preferred definitions. I don't consider "evolution" and "Darwinism the same, sorry.

17. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

Somebody here recently tried arguing definitions instead of the key to the issue and it didn't really work out for him. The point is that there's no evidence that Nessie exists or that it's a plesiosaur if it even does exist and these schools are teaching that there are still dinosaurs alive today to the contrary of all evidence because they have a belief system to perpetuate.

18. scccdoc

scccdoc
    Expand Collapse

Got no problem with that. I believe in evolution, not Darwinism. Just wanted a distinction (according to reliable sources) to be made known. Really, it wasn't an antagonistic post I made earlier. Geesh

19. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

OK then, point of clarification. What specifically do you not believe about Darwinism but do believe about evolution. Just curious what you think the difference is.

20. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

I'd just like to add that even if Nessie did exist, and was in fact a plesiosaur, that would not necessarily mean that evolution was false.

#20 void *, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012