Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

crash course on .22?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by C/O-RC, Jan 26, 2013.

1. C/O-RC

Aug 21, 2007
    North East
    I have several pistols rifles and shotguns however nothing chambered in .22. I just purchased a Ruger SR22. Is there anything I need to know that makes them different?
  2. That makes them different from what?

3. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    The secret about .22lr semi auto firearms is that they can be ammo sensitive, even within the same model of firearm. The other general rule of thumb is to never dry fire a rimfire. There are exceptions to the rule for those rimfires which the manufacturer explicitly states it is ok to do so in the owners manual.

Otherwise, spending ~$24 for 550 rounds equals guilt free shooting at the range.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  4. C/O-RC

Aug 21, 2007
    North East
    thanks thats the kinda stuff i was asking about. quick question, if you have bulk rimfire in a large container is there any chance of them going off if they are dropped or bumped around?
  5. failsafe

Oct 25, 2003
  6. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Good summary.

It explains why I have over 2 dozen firearms that shoot the .22lr round, and why I "collect" bricks of ammo. I have to make sure I have each ones favorite ammo. It really does pay to test a .22 For instance I have one that is well known for its accuracy, but it seems to hate expensive target ammo and loves a cheaper "hunting" ammo. I have had two guns of the same make and model and they each prefer different ammo.

It gives me a great excuse for a lot of trigger time.:supergrin:
  7. I don't buy any fancy match stuff, so thus far CCI is the only .22 ammo that has not yet given me a misfire. I use it to judge a firearm... if Mini-Mags won't work, it probably isn't a gun for me.
  8. nathanours

nathanours Texan

I love .22. My 2 guns chambered for it (Ruger MKIII and 10/22) are not ammo sensitive at all. They've eaten everything I can throw at em.
  9. RJHUB

Nov 27, 2009
    My SR22 seems to shoot the bulk ammo with no problems.
    I have tried Remington, Winchester, and mostly shoot the Federal 550.
    Occassionally I get a round that will not fire.
    With the SR22 you can pull the trigger on a round that has not fired again. My experience has been that if it does not fire the first time it is a bad round.
    I shoot 200 rounds of CCI thru a new pistol to check its function. Then I shoot the bulk stuff if no issues.

The SR22 is a great pistol. Congrats and have fun.
    And hunt down all the .22 ammo you can.

The .22 is a very dirty round. Try to wipe down and lube as often as possible if you are shooting a large amount at once. Especially keep the feed ramp and extractor clean.