close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crank Radio

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Lone Kimono, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

#1 Lone Kimono, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

I have the larger FR360 Eton that I got free through work. It's ok but not of the quality I really want. It's very plasticky and the knobs and crank handle feel like they could break fairly easily. It also uses AAA batteries and I would prefer AA. But, it works... until it doesn't!

#2 cowboy1964, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  3. Kevin108

Kevin108
    Expand Collapse
    HADOKEN!
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I've been looking at http://www.ambientweather.com/amwr088red.html

Copying from the web page:

Ambient Weather WR-088-RED Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio, Flashlight, Cell Phone Charger (Red)
    A must for any emergency toolkit, the WR-088 is an AM/FM NOAA Weather Alert Radio and a powerful 3 LED flashlight, with cell phone, MP3, MP4, Amazon KindleTM and USB charger, all in one tiny package.

The WR-088 is a five way charger - charge from a USB device (computer), AC or wall power (with optional converter), DC or car charger (with optional converter), hand crank, or solar panel. The Ambient Weather WR-088 is a radio that you and your family can depend on, anytime, anywhere, any weather.

The WR-088 sets itself apart from other crank chargers - you can fully charge the WR-088 through the USB/AC/DC adaptor, and when you need it, charge the cell phone/mp3/mp4/USB with no cranking. Other crank chargers require continuous hand cranking to charge a device.

[​IMG]

4. R_W

R_W
    Expand Collapse

Everyone I have looked at in person SUCKS--they are cheap plastic that won't hold up.

The Eton 600 has the right feature set (digital am-fm-wx-sw) but is too big and gets horrible reviews. I would take those features in a ruggedized compact package.

5. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

I'm not happy with the quality of most of the crank radios I've seen either, but that one looks OK. I like all the different charging options. Is it usually close to the sale price of $23?

6. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

7. Kevin108

Kevin108
    Expand Collapse
    HADOKEN!

Glad to see it on Amazon! I hate having to hand out payment information to every little site out there. My fiance wants to get me something for my birthday next month so I think I'll send her your link!

8. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

I feel the same. I actually paid a few dollars more for something on Amazon this weekend just so I wouldn't have to do that. Hope you enjoy your birthday gift ;)

9. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

I have had a Freeplay Ranger for years. It is my boat radio. It can run off solar power, hand crank, or you can pre-charge it.

10. Ronaldo

Ronaldo
    Expand Collapse
    Ancient Member
    Millennium Member

11. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

It's interesting you both suggested the Freeplay radios which also have SW. I just came on here to ask about a Katio I found with one, although Freeplay looks like a better setup. I'm going to have to check them out. I think a crank SW could be invaluable in a disaster.

I'll post the Katio anyway just in case it's any good.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CM R977_A_name_E_Kaito® Black Voyager™

12. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are selling the Ranger anymore, at least in the US.

13. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

Just as an FYI, something happened and all of a sudden they are out of stock on Amazon and Ambient Weather's site.

#13 Lone Kimono, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  14. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5
    Expand Collapse

I'm going against conventional "wisdom" to buy online these days.

If you check the local Radio Shack (maybe watch their ads,) you will find they put their re-branded crank radios on sale several times annually. I've literally saved the price of 2 or three radios. Radio Shack is always carrying these and the NOAA SAME radios on some sale or another. At way better than mail/internet order prices.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

nutnfancy once showed his crank radio during a backpack review. It sounded like a coffee grinder when he cranked it. Something to be aware of when shopping for one. My Eton is very quiet.

#15 cowboy1964, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  16. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5
    Expand Collapse

I failed to mention many of the Radio Shack models are rebranded Eton radios. (no, I don't work for them nor am I a frequent shopper)

17. Kevin108

Kevin108
    Expand Collapse
    HADOKEN!

I don't usually buy anything except food and beer locally. There's a Radio Shack right down the street, literally. I don't think of it as anything but a cell phone store most of the time but occasionally I stop in for odd batteries and electrical connectors. I'll have to stop by and see if they have anything.

18. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5
    Expand Collapse

Sadly, your opinion of them is mirrored by many of my friends in the ham radio community. They used to be a great source for electronics but now they mostly sell cell phones, digital cameras, and batteries.

However, there are good deals and unique items to be occasionally had at Radio Shacks -- their rebranded Eton and the NOAA radios.