close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CPU Temps, whats norm whats not

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by -, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Guest

I saw some threads on cpu temps and cooling ect

Not being a big gamer i tend to use what i can afford, i dont have the 300+ dollars for a nice Vid card or Clawhammer CPU ect.

1. At what temp range should i be looking to get more cooling for my CPU at peak use say when gaming?

2. what would be the safe / normal temp ranges for a PC when not gaming?

Even using the mid range computer parts i do buy i think my PC may benefit from extra cooling. Do you run software that runs in windows to monitor your CPU temp ? or do you just use the features in the bios for this?

I typlically run P4 3Ghz and use the computer as a work / gamer PC. I was not impressed with AMD 5 or 6 years ago and have stuck with Intel chips. After reading some of the posts in TT i am getting the itch to build a pure gamer using the AMD processor.

Andy

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    Well, I tend towards perfection in the rigs I build...

I will not accept a CPU idle temp of over 35C in a 26C room with a Pentium 4-class processor. For a machine at 100% load, 50C is the absolute hottest one of my rigs will go before I insist on installing more ventilation.

Either add some case fans (nothing works quite as well as a blowhole!) or install a Zalman CPU cooler if you want to reduce your system's temps and increase its lifespan.

BTW, if you want a real gaming PC, the CPU isn't the most critical compo0nent--the vid card's GPU is. It acts as an auxilliary CPU for many different computations, so AMD or Intel does not matter nearly as much as having a good video card in place does.

I use a 6800GT for gaming and video editing/encoding; its $300 price tag gives a far larger performance boost than most any other $300 upgrade will give, once you are in the 3.xxGHz range with over 1GB of DDR400 installed, that is.

In short, the rule I adhere to is: the cooler the better.

3. Guest

Thx that helps tell me i probably need additional cooling.

Idle temp 35C room temp was 27C i didnt have the AC on. Room temp can get to 32C. i typically dont use my PC then its just too hot for me, let alone the PC.

I did buy that Zalman cooler you had a pic of for my new system. I really like the design and materials used, should knock off a few degrees.

Andy

Lots of good serious PC builders here, i am sure i will be picking some more brains:)

4. Guest

that 6800gt is an agp or PCIe 16?

Andy

5. jhall

jhall

Apr 16, 2002
    Texas
    My P4 3.0ghz idles stays at 25 - 26 degrees when idle or surfing the net, etc...

When say, encoding(decoding ?) DVDs it gets around 37 degrees.