close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CPU fan Replacement

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mike4784, Jun 1, 2007.

1. So heres my problem, One of my computers I built a few years ago continually overheats. The alarm sounds every few minutes under minimal load, my parents use it to surf the internet and play solitaire. I took a look at the fans and heatsinks and cleaned out the dust. I notices that the bracket that holds the fan and heatsink to the processor has a broken tab. Now I am shopping for a new fan and bracket. I have a 1.8ghz pentium 4 478pin Northwood processor and all the replacement fans I have found use the stock bracket. Can anyone recommend a fan that uses an aftermarket bracket or comes with a replacement. My budget is about $25. Thanks in advance.

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember Millennium Member CLM

Jun 20, 1999
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835133009 is about all that looks promising. A bit over your budget, but for how it's made, probably a good price. This review goes over how it installs on mPGA478 CPUs, and it does replace the bracket. Most everything else uses the stock bracket.

The mobo maker could probably provide a replacement bracket, one would think.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    $25? Well, whatever you get, its not gonna be very good. It might be cheaper to spend $50-60, rather than $25, 2 or 3x.

I have no experience with the model fan Havoc posted, but I would try to stick with Thermaltake, as I've not had problems with them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106024

Or if you can spring a few dollars more, this one has some pretty good reviews...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835112011

IGF

4. HAVOC

Jun 20, 1999

ThermalTake is mediocre, at best, and the one you linked uses the standard 478 clips, so it won't work in this instance.

That big Alpha is kick-ass, and bolts right to the board so it'll solve his broken clip trouble. That Delta fan is a howler, though. Strictly for a geek box. Either need to replace it, or put a controller on it.

Neither of them are in-stock. You can find the Alpha at Plycon for $25, but it'll need a fan. That's another $12-$15. The bare sink doesn't have transfer compound, either. Another $2. It really is an awesome heat sink, but massive overkill on a 1.8 in a mom-box. You'd also have to disassemble the PC, as it through-bolts to the motherboard.

I've never worked with the one I linked, either. It looks like a faily reliable knock-off of the Zalman coolers, which are excellent. The only thing that concerns me is the fan. When it dies, it's not a normal form-factor, so replacing it might be an issue.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Yeah, my mistake. I missed the part about the broken clip.

I've never had a problem with Thermaltake. Actually, I've rarely had problems with CPU fans period. I think the only one thats ever died on me, was one that came with a Compaq Pentium II(and what spurred me to learn to build my own)

Coolermaster supposedly makes some pretty good ones to, but I don't recall ever using one.

Good luck...

IGF

6. HAVOC

Jun 20, 1999
    T-T is the only cooler I've ever had a catastrophic failure with. And I've had two. Both times a blade came off of the fan. Nothing died but the fan, but boy did it make a racket. Eventually every fan will die, but the heat sink should be OK, and MOST of the time the fan is easy to replace.

7. I think I'm going to get the one from nMEDIAPC. Thanks for the link on the installation as well. I did look for a replacement bracket from ABIT but they were $8 and ebay had them for $2 with $5 shipping so I figured get a replacement bracket with the new fan. The bolt through heatsink would be nice but I want to get this fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for all the suggestions.