Glock Talk banner

Coyotes

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  rvrctyrngr 
#1 ·
Anyone in SW Florida that watches the news knows about the coyote problem in the Estero area. If you haven't heard, coyotes have attacked small dogs 7 or 8 times now and have killed 3 small dogs while the owner was walking them on the leash.:dog:
In the last case the owner picked up his small dog as the coyote approached. He swung an hit the coyote with a stick or something and the coyote followed as the guy bolted 100 feet back to his house and finally skulked off into the woods. :aod:

What do you think would happen to me if I was walking my little pooch and a coyote decided it was dinner time, clearly started to attack (growling, showing his teeth, charging in my direction, etc.) and I popped it right there, late at night in my condo community? Anyone know the law on that one? Remember in this scenario it was clearly going to attack me and I am licensed to carry.

#2 ·
Coyote is a non-game animal and you are allowed to shoot on site. But what you decribe could get sticky, here at my place I could walk out in the front yard and kill it(and I have). I "THINK" with the recent attacks and you being a a permit holder you would be fine.

#4 ·
Hmmmm.....

First, I grew up in Ft. Myers/Ft. Myers Beach (Estero Island). Never heard of coyotes being down there! Lots o' feral dogs though. Haven't lived there since the early 80s, but my folks still do. Where'd they come from?

Dropping one in your condo complex, you're going to get a visit from LCSO. Discharging a firearm in SD is not illegal within incorp. city limits. If you hit the thing and kill it and you articulate your situation/actions well, you should be fine.

The issue is going to come with actually hitting the thing while it's running at you. If you miss and your round goes somewhere it isn't supposed to....well, I wouldn't want to be there to answer for that.

You could carry some good OC spray, but I've seen it fail on canines. A good walking stick is hard to beat.

#8 ·
Wow, Nine MM! I just never knew it was a problem down there. Like I said, I grew up in Ft. Myers and my folks still live there, but I've been in Jax the last 16 years....

Where do you shoot down there? I'll be there sometime this summer for a few days, and can only spend just sooooo much time with the folks!

#10 ·
Wow, Nine MM! I just never knew it was a problem down there. Like I said, I grew up in Ft. Myers and my folks still live there, but I've been in Jax the last 16 years....

Where do you shoot down there? I'll be there sometime this summer for a few days, and can only spend just sooooo much time with the folks!
The range I use is the one at Cecil B. Webb facility (also called the Babcock Preserve). It's right off of Rt. 75 Exit 158 Tuckers Grade (about 25 miles north of Fort Myers). Worth the drive. It's a nice outdoor facility...$3 per person or $6 a carload ...all day! They have two rifle ranges (50/100 and 100/200 yards), one pistol range (15 yards) and a shotgun range plus a few points for special stuff. The points are in good shape and all are under a nice overhang that keeps out the sun and rain. Bring your fishing pole and license...they have stocked lakes too.

For indoor shooting you have Fowler Firearms and Gun Range at 3685 Fowler St. but you have to shoot their lead-free ammo and it ain't cheap so I rarely go there. There's an assault weapons range on Fowler too but I take my AK out to the outdoor range. You can use all the ranges there for your $3.

#11 ·
Thanks. I know the Cecil Webb range (that's how I come into town). I think the one range on Fowler used to be Coat of Arms...have shot there, as well. It's where I taught my mom to shoot. Didn't know there was another one on Fowler.

Ever been to the LCSO range out in East Ft. Myers? It's state of the art, but the public doesn't get to use the 'neat' stuff. :(

#13 ·
I live in Naples (just south of estero) where a coyote tore through a screened lanai and took someone's cat.

My fiancee and I walk my mini schnauzer every evening. The dog is on a harness with a non-retractable leash and my fiancee walks her. I carry a 4 cell maglite and my G23 with me. I live in a gated community of single family houses. If one gets close enough I'll shoot it no questions asked.

Our newspaper (Naples Daily News) ran an article that was very carefully worded about shooting the coyotes in self defense. It basically said, go for it, just be careful you don't hit someone's house.

#18 ·
Thanks. I don't get up that way much. Like I said, I live just south of San Marco, and work down south near Bayard. Y'know....I've probably seen some roadkilled yotes off of Hecksher and probably just thought they were doggies.

When I lived in Maine, hunting yotes was a money-making proposition. Townships payed a bounty for each one...lots o' livestock up there. Not much $$, but it paid for the ammo and the beer afterwards! :supergrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.