Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by trlcavscout, Feb 4, 2009.

1. I have seen some threads on hunting hogs etc with Glocks, anyone hunt coyotes? Would be better then toteing my heavy barrel when getting way back into those good spots. We have had them almost run us over coming in so I know we can get them close enough.
  2. Not with my Glock 21. But I have with my Ruger SBH' Mag drops them. Don't know about 45 ACP

3. GLOCK-20-

GLOCK-20- REP :D

Jan 25, 2009
    id go with getting a small rifle....a 17 HMR is good or a .22 Mag, or one of my favorites a .22 Hornet. heck with a 17 you can get as close as 25 yards or go on out to 200 with it...and i can shoot consistent at 200 yards too. aim 4 inches high and your on the money while 50-150 yards you just point and shoot
  4. I shoot coyotes when the opportunity arise, usually during deer season when I have a rifle handy. For a carry gun then a sporter weight barrel would be sufficient, the heavy barrels I would reserve for sitting in a prairie dog town or somwhere you don't have to move alot. Esox357.
  5. CMoore

Dec 22, 2008
    Middletown, OH
    If you are wanting to take a pistol, a 10mm would be sufficient. :cool:

6. Like stated above;

Coyotes are hard to get with in handgun distance. Your better off using a rifle.
  7. We get them in range constantly, my buddy can call them in on top of you everytime, thats why I was considering handgun. I usually use my 223 or 17, sometimes 308 if I really want to reach out and thump'em. I am also big into archery so we have done that alot. I was just looking for a challenge.

A couple weeks ago we set up on a ridge and called down a valley, we got 3 older dogs about 300 yds out dropped, then 5 younger dogs came barreling over the top of the little hill behind us, they were throwing rocks on us trying to get stopped. I could have grabbed a couple of them but I was laughing to hard. But with my Glock I could have got all or most of them.
  8. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nov 18, 2003
    Bad-Lands Ranch
    Sounds like the same deer hunting problem I have picking up a rifle when I should have picked up my bow.

I'd keep doing what you are doing and just glock one the next time they run in on you.

Sounds like fun to me.
  9. Buckskin

Buckskin DontTreadOnMe

Jan 28, 2009
    Great NW
    220 Swift or G21 gets em every time. Same here the Foxpro or talley ho gets them real close.
  10. Steve 48

Steve 48

Apr 19, 2006
    St. John, Kansas
    I love it but also carry a 357. Sometimes you call them in to close. A 22-250 works just great.
  11. smokeyaz

Apr 22, 2002
    I agree, 22-250 is my favorite cotote gun...
  12. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

Sep 7, 1999
    Columbia, SC
    Sometimes I carried a shotgun and a rifle to the stand, especially in thick stuff. It can get hairy, foxes and coyotes will run you over!
  13. Buckskin

Buckskin DontTreadOnMe

Jan 28, 2009
    Great NW
    Be carefull about hunting/killing any animals on here. Alot of PETA prospects on here are registered users.:rofl:
  14. jdm444

Jan 15, 2009
    i only hunt them with a hand gun when i dont have a long gun
  15. smokeyaz

Apr 22, 2002
    At least the PETA people cant throw red paint on us through the computer!!! :tongueout:

16. I'm one of those PETA members.

I'm proudly a member of "People Eating Tasty Animals".
  17. +1 on that!!!

As far as them throwing paint on me, we are way back on private property. And you know what they say "what happens there, stays there" :supergrin:
  18. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Apr 28, 2002
    Above ground
    Why not. For close action a handgun can be quicker on target than a rifle. A red dot scope on a carbine would work well too I bet.

With multiple shooters I'd really want to be with folks who take safety as seriously as I do and preplan some firing lanes and directions as well is what is out of bounds.

I used my 10MM Kimber to take a coyote at ~110 yards a couple of months back. Although that was an opportunity shot, not hunting.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  19. I hunt them with a .17, but farther than 100 yards it's way underpowered. Even with a perfect shot the coyote runs a long time. It happens often. Call them under 75 yards and don't worry about far shots.
    I use a johnny stewart preymaster that works awesome, I also have a knight n hale howler that works great too. Just got a ground blind for coyote hunting, can't wait to try it out. I have never lost one with my .17, but I have come close. Every time I shoot him dead in the neck, or square in the chest. A larger centerfire handgun would work great, it just has to be close enough to make a good shot. You won't believe how tough they are. I shot one in the lungs one time, he spun around and took off running, I shot 3 more times, I hit him 2 of the times in the chest, and he still ran another 100 yards. Yes any centerfire gun has enough power, just make good shots. Tough little critters. Wait til you see the death spin, it's awesome. :wavey:
  20. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

Jan 10, 2006
    Bunker in the Midwest
    Shooting a Coyote at 200 yards with a 17 hmr is hardly ethical, Maybe at 25 yards but a 17 HMR is not a good round for hunting Coyotes. 204 Ruger should be a Minimum.