close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Coyote hunters.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by NHmike, Nov 20, 2010.

1. NHmike

NHmike

Aug 17, 2010
    While driving home tonight, I spotted a Coyote in a field near a road. The other night a family of them howled. They pass thru my yard once and a while. Seems like the Coyote is really making it big in my piece of NH. I mean we have em, but it seems like so many more. I used to call and hunt them alot, before kids. We would get one now and again but hunting em up here in the North East is tough.

Anyone else hunt em? Care to share your equipment list? tactics? Stories?

I don't mean Down there in Texas, or Arizona and Cali where there are Coyotes tripping over Coyotes. I mean people who have to hunt them and work hard for them...

2. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Here in Ohio, they are like Whitetail Deer. They're EVERYWHERE! This spring, before the new growth comes in, I'm going to do some rabbit squealing in the foothills of the Appalachians, just to see how many I can take out with the AR.:cool:

3. NHmike

NHmike

Aug 17, 2010
    The simple mouse and rabbit sqeels dont always do it around here. Coyote Vocals is where its at.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Careful with them NH Yotes. They are half-wolf, run in far more efficient packs than normal Yotes and will take down just about any household pet you have.

They are not native to this area, so eliminate with prejudice.

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nov 18, 2003
    Bad-Lands Ranch
    I love to hunt coyotes.

I have one more buck on my hit list this year and I will be switching over to the dogs.

I use a FoxPro caller and sometimes a decoy or a white feather hung on tall grass by the caller. I like to use an AR also.

Start out calling very soft. I sit for about 30-60 minutes in each set and move about 1/4 mile or more between sets.

Mornings have been best for me.

Night hunts are entertaining but tough to do by yourself. Don't go with people that are scared of the dark. When they letout hollering right near you, it is a complete rush.

From what I've seen deer hunting this year, my place is once again ripe with coyotes. The clearing work that I did this summer will help with calling at my place since before it was too thick to get much notice before they are on you.

Good Luck.

6. NHmike

NHmike

Aug 17, 2010
    I have shot NH Coyotes that resembel the Gray Wolf in a lot of way. Big, heavy same fur colors.

Foxpro? Nope not for me! Mornings have been best for me. I play a lot of Coyote vocals to create a territory response. They come in harder that way.. barely use decoys. What caliber are you guys using. I have had the .223 go thru them and not slow em down much..

P.s. Night hunting is fun but is a song and dance here in NH

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  7. freespirit34

freespirit34 BMFTSY

Apr 2, 2009
    NC Mountains
    Pretty plentiful here in NC. We use a rabbit call. Usually 22 mag or 270 to put 'em away.

8. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nov 18, 2003
    Bad-Lands Ranch
    I like the winchester 62 gr softpoints. On a coyote, the exit holes look exploded.

Good luck!

9. NHmike

NHmike

Aug 17, 2010
    22mag - 270 winchester? that is a difference in choices!

10. NHmike

NHmike

Aug 17, 2010
    I like 39grain Blitzkings for the .204

The .204 is a wicked round!

11. 22mag nowhere near the distance or accuracy of a 270win or energy
    270win much heavier bullet ( could be over kill in the varmint family )
    22mg rimfire
    270 centerfire

A the price difference is slightly more for the 270win but you also have a greater range of ammo choices and can reload it ( 22mag ... if you not familar, can not be reloaded )

If you want a good varminter round get anything that shoots over 3K fps and has a loooooooong range accuracy 300yards plus.

A 22mg would work, but imho would be a close in under 100yard choice and is NOT and ideal yote round and the only person I know use them , are pelt harvester looking to minimize report and then damage on the pelts.

12. NHmike

NHmike

Aug 17, 2010
    I was saying, it was one extreme to the next.

The .204 seems to be a fur friendly round, with the right bullet. .223 is ok and .243 being to big for saving furs. But the are making a comeback up here, I might just buy my liscence and start chasing them again!

13. If I was building a yote rifle, I would stray away from the 22mag and the 270win and look at a 22-250,223, swift or hornet. Any of these would be better choices for a yote round and even the 204 ruger could be stuck in there.

I still haven't seen that much 204ruger available locally off the shelf.

14. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Which would you rather have, boys:

A few harmless coyotes who pretty much stay hidden away by themselves, or

a tsunami of rats, mice, pack rats, ground squirrels, skunks, and other rodent vermin who carry diseases and who can eat through and into everything?

15. depends

Yotes, kill livestocks and pets, I doubt a pack of rats, skunks or ground squirrel would do the same.

16. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    noway, where I come from, rats, skunks, and ground squirrels do kill people.

It's called the bubonic plague.

We probably have 30 coyotes within one mile of my house, and I wouldn't harm them for anything.

But, I guess you could say I'm a little super-sensitive on the subject.

17. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Just to make sure I am not misunderstood, when I lived in West Texas and spent a lot of time in the country, the Code of the West decreed that one killed every coyote one saw. I probably killed over 50 coyotes before I moved to New Mexico.

But, they don't have the plague in the Texas Panhandle.

[​IMG]

18. I know you have to be kidding..... bubonic plague & from a varmint, before go on, can you explain or post of one death within the 48states or the other 2 states or 3 if your Obama :upeyes:, related to this plague

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

I would bet that more coyotes have done harm or more damage ( towards life ) than a ground squirrel.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  19. freespirit34

freespirit34 BMFTSY

Apr 2, 2009
    NC Mountains
    No, the 22 mag doesn't have nearly the energy or range of the 270. Most shots here are taken at less than 100 yards (probably closer to 70). The 22 mag is easier for my son to handle and it's a little less expensive to shoot. I have seen them run off into the woods after a 22 mag shot.

20. NHmike

NHmike

Aug 17, 2010
    Hell I had a Dominant Male run off after me shooting it thru the neck and throat with a 55 grain .223 at about 40 yards. I put one up his Butt when he spun around. Two of us blood trailed it for ever. Never found it. :(

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010