close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

"Covert Affairs" & Chiappa Rhino

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jun 26, 2012.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    I was watching wrestling last night (Yes, I watch wrestling. I am not ashamed of my white trash heritage.) and I saw a commercial for a TV show called "Covert Affairs." I had to rewind the DVR to make sure but the little blond lady in the commercial was toting a Chiappa Rhino. It was one of the "White Rhino" hard chromed models. That has to be the first time I have seen that in a TV series.

PS: Yes, I am so pathetic that I sit around paying attention to the guns people use in TV shows.

[​IMG]

2. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Jul 10, 2001
    Alabama
    Great movie prop. It looks kewl and need not be modified to shoot blanks.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    The wheelgun is also featured in the Total Recall movie remake as well.

It's a funky piece and I'm not quite sold on it. The trigger pull is light but for some reasons it has a lot of take-up, not to mention high price for an unproven wheelgun. Though they just came out with a .357 Mag model that has an interchangeable 9mm cylinder. I may have to revisit this Rhino.

4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    I would really love to get my hands on one of the 2" models to review.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    I haven't seen the Covert Affairs scene yet, but I did notice it in the Total Recall trailer.

Maybe this will be hollywood's new go-to cool gun like the Desert Eagle was a decade ago and the MP7 has been recently.

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I'd like to try one out, just because of their uniqueness.

7. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    I have two. The 2" and the 4".

I wouldn't advise anyone to try them.

Then you will have to buy one.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Other than looking interesting, what's the plus side to them? How much money are we talking for these things?

That grip doesn't look very comfortable.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    The plus side is a markedly lower bore axis for reduced felt recoil, muzzle flip, and faster followup shots.

10. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

Jul 20, 2007
    0 .· ` ' / ·. 200
    Actually the grip isn't bad at all, and the trigger is pretty nice.

11. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Jan 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    Let me get this straight, did you say that you were DVRing wrestling? Would love to know why that is necessary.
    Just picking on you. I love yours vids on YouTube. Plus I'm a big Ric Flair & Dusty Rhodes fan (yes, I'm old).

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    The look is "ugly".

The grip is odd.

Can't be better then a conventional .357 Mag Rev.

Until you shoot one.

13. I've always been intrigued by them... Freakishly overpriced as far as I'm concerned .

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    So, judging by the vertical position of the trigger relative to the grip and that groove in the frame, is the trigger finger angled downward somewhat?

I'll have to ask the guys at the gun shop if they've ever heard of this thing.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  15. Honor Bound

Honor Bound

Sep 15, 2004
    A recent American Handgunner article did a quick review of these new revolvers. Over all, the comments were positive. The author said that the bottom cylinder alignment made the recoil of a .357 Mag feel like a .38 Special. I consider this a pretty bold statement. If it were completely true I would have expected to have already heard about it.

Can anyone with some experience comment on this claim?

16. Since it weighs twice as much as a S&W 340 I would expect felt recoil shooting full power .357 magnum to be gentler.

Since it weighs about as much as a Glock, I see no advantages to packing far less firepower.

Splitting the difference, the S&W Model 327 weighs a bit less but carries 8 rounds of .357 magnum, from an American company with 160 years of experience.

Distributed by MKS Supply in Ohio, the folks who bring you Hi-Points, I have to wonder about quality, warranty, etc.

But I'd still welcome the opportunity to shoot some Rhinos, because I like weird stuff and plenty of folks seem to like them.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  17. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    Yea, I too. It is one ugly gun but I still want to shoot one. :)