close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Court rules school can ban American flag

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AZson, Feb 28, 2014.

1. AZson

AZson

Oct 5, 2005
    Tucson
  2. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    "This is the United States of America," the mother of one of the students Kendall Jones told the San Jose Mercury News. "The idea that it's offensive to wear patriotic clothing ... regardless of what day it is, is unconscionable to me."

3. mc1911

mc1911

Nov 25, 2011
    Why are United States public schools even celebrating a foreign nations holiday?

The federal judges and school officials are nuts on this issue.

4. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    Why didn't the school officials tell the Mexican students that this is the United States and we wave the American flag, not the Mexican flag?

Is California even in the United States?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    why not remove ANY funds given by the country of the banned flag?

6. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    That's right! End all foreign aid to California immediately.

7. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Feb 8, 2009
    JAX, FL
    Why is that even being celebrated in a US school anyway. What is it with all of this giving our country away. Welcome to the United States of whatever country you can from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

8. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

Jun 10, 2008
    Godless country
    Oh, BS. Let's be honest here; they did it to piss off the latinos, plain and simple. The article even said that this has been an ongoing thing for some time, now, on 5 May.

Not that I disagree with it, mind you. I would have done the same thing in HS. :whistling: I just don't like people feigning ignorance about it, and saying "Well, gee, lil Johnny just wants to be patriotic. In NO WAY does he want to provoke anyone or anything."

It's a parent thing, though. Too many parents want to believe that their kids do no wrong, and have only the best of intentions.

And any school that bans the US Flag on ANY day should be brought up on treason charges.

9. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    I remember after they took out the WTC, some spanish kid came into school wrapped in a gigantic foriegn flag of some sort. Mexico or something - hell, I don't even remember at this point. He was rambling on about how he only cared about the people of his ethnicity who died. Everybody just sort of rolled their eyes at him and let him go about his business.

I remember I also bought a shirt, I think it was an Ecko shirt, that had an American flag on it and the Graffiti of "These colors don't run". Some spanish kid tried to make fun of it and got jumped all over by our classmates. All other reviews were positive.

Surprise, nobody got hurt, and life went on as usual. How much things have changed in so little time.

10. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    I brought a North Korean flag and USSR flag into school for show an tell in 6th grade. My Dad killed those guys to take them down.....end of story.

11. ChaseMyWake

ChaseMyWake AutomatedSystem

Aug 18, 2011
    Dystopia
  12. when I was in grade school, I was taught that NOBODYS colors were allowed to fly above OURS. we dipped our flag to nobody... what happened? :crying:

13. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    We'll be celebrating ramadan next, mandatory. Does the school fly an American flag when they are open? Do they fly the American flag on the date in question? If so, why? If not, well that is just wrong. If they fly the Mexican flag, that is boarder line illegal, I think it is addressed in the code that deals with the American flag.

14. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Dec 15, 2012
    SW Missouri
    victim group > American

15. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Dec 15, 2012
    SW Missouri
    Oh, and in most of Mexico Cinco de Mayo is just another day. It's about as big a holiday there as the anniversary of Gettysburg is here.

What those kids should do is show up that day wearing a French flag t-shirt. After all, Cinco de Mayo is about a skirmish between some Mexicans and Frenchmen. It's only really celebrated in the Puebla region of Mexico and is known by El Día de la Batalla de Puebla ( The Day of the Battle of Puebla) and they would look at you funny if you said "Happy Cinco de Mayo!"

Show up in a French t-shirt and taunt them a second time then fart in their general direction.

16. napp32

napp32

Dec 19, 2009
    My take on all of this is somewhat different. It is my personal belief that the American Flag should not be allowed on any item of clothing other than a U.S. military uniform. No matter how well intentioned the wearer might be, I find it disrespectful to expose it to drippings from various foods and drinks by wearing it as an article of clothing.

17. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Feb 19, 2010
    Third Rock From the Sun
    They should forfeit all federal funding.

18. oldman11

oldman11

Mar 1, 2012
    Texas
    Physically yes, but it doesn't seem to be an American state any more. To many communist leaning judges and politicians.

19. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Jul 28, 2008
    Up a tree.
    I think you're right. This is white kids who don't normally wear flag shirts every day, in an obviously organized effort to piss off the Mexican kids on May 5th.

On the other hand, if you go to live in another country and you have the nerve to wave your old country's flag in front of them on a holiday that's alien to them, it seems like you should be able to understand that the natives of your new country would also have this same feeling of patriotism about their own flag, and they might just want to wave it back at you. You gotta realize the possible outcomes of the can of worms you are opening when you wave your old flag in a new country.

But is it really so racially provocative to celebrate May 5th in a new land, and is it right to demand that people give up something they've already been celebrating all their lives? I can't side with the white kids here because I don't think it's right to respond this way to something which, in the hearts & minds of most Mexicans, was never intended to start a race riot.

Given the history at this school, if I were a student there, I'd refuse to wear a flag on May 5th just to show my refusal to join ranks with those who simply want to turn someone else's party into a gang fight. There are already 364 other days each year when my flag gets thrown in the faces of the Mexican's, so I think they see it enough.

20. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Aug 4, 2005
    fl
    I haven't read the thread, and only read a few words from the link: if true, it cannot have any legal standing. No way.