Court and ot

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by pal2511, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Just got off work after a 8 hr midnight shift then an additional 7 hr court trip. Great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Nights absolutely sucked for that reason alone.

3. I loved night shift and hated Court for the very same reason. The felony arrests would plead out, but the idiots with suspended drivers' licenses and no proof of insurance always wanted a hearing. :upeyes:

4. The only good thing about our prosecutor is she won't take suspended or no OL to trial. They'll eat the charge or she'll request jail time when she convicts. You either were valid or not, what's the argument??

7 hours in court? Jeez man!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Our female prosecutor had the spine of a jellyfish. She and the chief municipal judge were as worthless as a South Vietnamese piaster.

6. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Knowing you were suspended at the time.:tbo:

7. Ignorance is no excuse.

I don't write random selection anyway.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I have it the next two days. Hoping to be home by 1000 hours each day.

9. I did a 24 hour shift straight last week. I was still wide awake at the end. But I can't do 3 hours of court. Funny how that works.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Swings is what kills me when it comes to court. Even when I lived close to work it sucked. Off 0230. Asleep around 0400. Up 0700. Court 0900. Even if I was out of there within an hour it was still hard to sleep enough to catch up for a start time of 1630.

Now that I live 45 minutes away with average traffic I will just sleep in the bunk room rather than go home.

11. Seems like I rarely have court on days, but as soon as I rotate to nights the subpoenas start rolling in...

12. Standing policy is that if you have court that consumes over 6 of your 12 hours off duty, then you can take the shift off following. You are worthless at 24 hours straight.

13. Seems I'm the only one that doesn't mind court when I'm on mids. I've been rotating between all 3 shifts this year (due to go back to days in a little over a week), and my check took a major hit on my last day shift stint because every time I had court, it was duty time instead of OT. Of course, I'm a greedy SOB, and I hate getting up that early, so days is a bear for me. Plus, all kinds of brass running around during those hours, too. Ugh.

14. More places should have that policy in effect IMHO. I don't know how many times I've walked into a back office at my old PD to see the entire shift racked out because they all had court that day. Either that or they call in sick....

15. The problem with that is it then becomes straight time instead of OT. If we had that option no one would take it.

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

It's not so bad when the court is in the morning because our graves ended at 0900 so if you had court at 0800, then you might be out by 1000 or 1030, which ain't too bad, with a bit of OT on top.

What sucked was the afternoon sessions at 1300, and you don't get to sleep when you get home, and sucks up your day until 1500 or more and then you have to wake up in 5 hours to go back to work.

17. Once we get on the OT clock, we don't come back off it until we get time off.

They also can't change our work hours to avoid OT.

Over 14 hours in a row = double time.

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The only thing that beats that is working an OT gig on a Holiday... yep, double golden time!

Regular pay + Holiday pay (1.5x) + OT on top of that... woot!

Not that it happens regularly, because they avoid scheduling it that way like the plague, but it does happen with staffing shortages... but once you get over 15 hours of OT, the tax makes it not worth it.

19. That's awesome. We are straight time til 171 in 28 days. Then it's time and a half.

We don't get holiday pay, but we get extra vacation time (10 extra days of vacation instead of 10 holidays)

20. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

A girl I work with is engaged to a copper not far from here. He works 12 hour shifts and rotates periodically from days to nights. When he works nights (6p-6a) he also works a school gig. So he gets off at 6am, changes clothes, heads to the school, leaves at 3pm, sleeps for an hour and then goes to work.

No Effing Way.