close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Could Guns Really Be Effectively Banned in America?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Ruble Noon, Dec 17, 2012.

1. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Aug 19, 2010
    Flyover,USA
    no guns or ammo here.....

2. No, but this entire episode shows how easy it will be for the right politician with the right subject to talk the people out of all their freedoms.

3. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
    There are 300,000,000 guns in America. You can ban them all you want. They're not going away. Ever.

4. nmstew

nmstew

Jan 6, 2007
    It's funny the left wants us to believe that it will be too hard to get rid of 14,000,000 illegal immigrants wo we should just give them amnesty. Yet getting rid of 300,000,000 firearms will be a piece of cake.

5. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    Guns could easily be banned in America. All the prerequisites, logistically and culturally, are in place. Frankly I'm surprised we've made it this long.

6. GlockDiver

GlockDiver

May 12, 2007
    Michigan
    Of course they couldn't. Home fabrication technology (3D printing) is on the cusp of being ubiquitous. Once that happens anybody will be able to print themselves out a disposable firearm. And the government will no better be able to control that than they will be able to control MP3 songs.

7. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Guns could be banned. That is a reality. Heller was only 5-4, and thanks to the purple mushroom headed knob sucking libs, Barry will likely get two SCOTUS picks.

So, yes, it is easily within reach to ban all guns other than flint lock muzzle loaders from personal possession, even and including, a forced turn in without compensation, and with the threat of death or incarceration. Again, thank you to the Barry Supporters for making that more likely.

Now, the trick is that making them illegal, even completely illegal, will never make them go away. They will be here forever. Pandora's box has been opened. Even if you were somehow to make a LIBTARDS wish come true, and every firearm in the USA disappeared suddenly tomorrow, they would flood in from the borders. The same borders that we cannot stop criminals, drugs, cars, and guns from crossing now.

DUH?

8. yellowhand

yellowhand

Feb 1, 2012
    Arizona
  9. Chronos

Chronos

Nov 26, 2007
    This ^^^.

And the really creative stuff has yet to be imagined. Since these things can be made for "nearly free," what about printed guns with built-in self-destruct mechanisms and chemistry? If it looks like you're about to be unavoidably searched by one of Bloomberg's finest, your pistol turns itself into a puddle of melting slag in 30 seconds.

This is but one aspect of the "big picture" in which the future is information, and information favors the individual over the "intrusive 3rd party."

In 10 years, even London will be completely awash with individual handgun ownership.

10. yellowhand

yellowhand

Feb 1, 2012
    Arizona
    http://www.restigouchegunclub.com/Firearm user manuals/Sten Gun Mk2 manual.pdf

Back in the "I like Ike" days, information was hard to come by.
    Took 30 seconds to pull up the above:

If a British Granny can make Sten's in her old man's work room, how in the world could anyone expect Americans not to produce anything that has a blueprint on the internet free for the download?

Banning weapons would simply open up a new set of problems, much like the last ban took many from the 9mm back to the 45 ACP since HC mags were no longer avalible.

11. I think it's possible guns could be banned at some future point if we aren't vigilant. Very improbable, granted, but not impossible. Congress would have to address the 2nd Amendment somehow and/or the SCOTUS would have to reverse/change/amend it's 2nd Amendment opinion(s). That still doesn't mean guns would go away, obviously...they would certainly still be out there. And the 'bad guys' would always find ways to get them. But in the most extreme state of gun-banning: if you got caught with a gun...any gun...you could be prosecuted to the extent of the law. That might include prison time. You couldn't go hunting. You couldn't go to the range. Both of those sports would be "obsolete". If you used a gun in self-defense you could be prosecuted. If your house burned and evidence of firearms was found, you could be prosecuted. If you were in an automobile accident and a gun was found, you could be prosecuted. You could hide guns in your house, basically handle them and look at them occasionally, then hide them again. If the penalties were stiff enough, that's all you would dare do. Oh, and hope you never had that fire.

The above is admittedly more than just a little extreme, it's "big brother" taken to the nth degree. But I suppose anything is possible. Do I think it will happen? Absolutely not. The right to keep and bear arms is ingrained in the fabric of this country. But I do think, in the wake of the almost unimagineable images coming out of Newtown, that there is a real danger that certain guns...ARs...AKs...and any other gun the far left/antis can successfully misrepresent as an 'assault weapon' may be banned. And magazines over a certain capacity may be banned. And, it wouldn't be inconceivable that these items aren't grandfathered. Turn them in or you are in violation and you take your chances with the above scenarios. Again, not likely, but it could happen.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Feb 14, 2010
    Boonies New Mexico
    Well........wouldn't it be difficult to put a large number of people in prison for having a firearm? They have no room right now for the real criminals.

13. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    They could ban alcohol again, too, but the effect will be worse than the problem.

14. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    Explain to me how a gun ban could have prevented this CT tragedy.

And I'll tell you how Cocaine ban have made the Colombians so rich.

15. wingryder

wingryder

Oct 9, 2012
    28.420, -81.171
    It would be very scary to try to conceal your firearms after the initial hand-over and grace period. You would then be a criminal for possessing a firearm.

Much as the Nazi's did, the Government would make it an act of patriotism and national pride to snitch on your neighbors who have guns. The could comb through all files and locate many recently purchases firearms... scan the internet in forums such as this one and find out what you've been talking about when you have a false sense of anonymity.

It could happen, but it would take a drastic measures and man power to accomplish it. My only hope is that the population wouldn't stand for it... much like prohibition, where the cure was worse than the disease.

16. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    There is another option out there.I'd bet it's being bandied about in certain circles.

It wouldn't have,law abiding folk abide.As ta how that nutjob gained access ta those weapons I won't bandy a guess.'08.

17. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    they didnt think it would happen in england, they didnt think it would happen in australia, canada still doesnt know what happened.

banning is not the answer, but its easier than addressing the true problem of the mentally ill.

18. Feinstein's new AWB will probe outlawing ownership. Her bill calls for ownership of outlawed items (AWs, high-cap mags and more) to be banned "prospectively" which means current ownership is grandfathered in but if you don't own them prior, you'll never be able to own them. As the owners of banned items die off, the ownership ban becomes ubiquitous. Clever, eh?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  19. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    i hope the bill dies quickly. the real problem is the failure to deal with the mentally ill, but nobody wants to address that because it might hurt somebody's feelings.