close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cost of Ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by xmanhockey7, Feb 8, 2014.

1. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    For the vast majority of the cases, reloading is the way, I do for everything I have but 9mm. Everything I shoot now with .357, .500 Mag, 7.62x39, .458 Win Mag and .300WSM is a reload.

Right now, if I were to buy commercial FMJs for the 9mm, the cost of the slugs, primers and powder would be about the same as Walmart 9mm. Not a good deal there. Don

2. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

Last batch of 9mm I ran cost me $158 per thousand using FMJ, using lead it would have been $20-30 cheaper. Last four times I was at Walmart I checked, just out of curiosity, and they didn't have any 9mm ammo. I know I'm not saving a ton of money but I have quite a few rounds ready to shoot at all times.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

3. Revvv

Revvv

Jan 28, 2010
    Unfortunately not everyone can reload. It would be nice to have the space, presses, ect, but that isn't realistic for all.

I would love to reload, but at the moment that is not a possibility.

.......and from my understanding rimfire ammo can not be reloaded.

Sent by Morse code using rocks and cup phones.

4. gorwilla

gorwilla

Aug 25, 2011
    To answer the three:

45acp, <0.44/rnd or I walk.
    40s&w, <0.36/rnd or I walk.
    22LR...I miss the availability of CCI mini mag...but still,
    <0.07/rnd (CCI) or I walk.

At times like these, you vote with your money.

Man I miss blazer brass...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. GWG19

GWG19

Jan 28, 2012
    Huntsville Al
    45 ACP .40 to .44 for FMJ
    9mm .23 to .30 for FMJ

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
    I am buying Federal Champion 9mm at .029 at WM. I have paid more at the LGS if I need it for a match. Hope it doesn't dry up before summer, I can only justify spending so much per month.

7. glide

glide Just sayin'

Sep 16, 2007
    Maui, Hawaii
    In Maui, Hawaii I was actually able to find .45 ACP WWB (50 rounds) at the local Sports Authority for $23 plus 4 percent tax. Not too bad price. As for .22LR ammo, forget it. I've not seen rimfire ammo for over a year or maybe longer in the shops I frequented. I'm holding on to what I have and shooting very sparingly nowadays.

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    Do you waste time watching the liberal TV news talking heads or other equally time wasting TV shows?

If so, you have plenty of time to reload. And it can be very inexpensive. (in 1961 I had to start reloading because I couldn't afford store bought 38 and 45 ammo)

In reloading, money is time. The more money you spend on equipment the less time it takes to reload a box of ammo.
    As a rule of thumb, reloaded ammo costs a little less than half what the same store bought ammo costs. Less if you buy the components on sale and in bulk.

For instance, it takes under 10 minutes to load a box of pistol ammo on my Dillon press.
    [​IMG]

It takes about 30 minutes to load a box of ammo on this $33 Lee "hand tool" press.
    Your whole reloading outfit can fit in a medium size box in a corner of the closet.
    I use this press for small jobs like making 30 test rounds.
    [​IMG]

9. GWG19

GWG19

Jan 28, 2012
    Huntsville Al
    My first reloading area was in a corner in my bed room. I built a corner cabinet and bench and went to town with a Lee single stage press. Lee now has a slick little loading bench.
    http://leeprecision.com
    We always find time and way a way for what we want.
    When we built our house I had a loading room made.
    [​IMG]

10. varget

varget

Jul 13, 2006
    Texas
    Like M2Carbine I started loading in the early 60's. Problem is that now replenishing powder(especially!)is almost impossible. Primers are 3X what they used to cost and slugs have more than doubled in just the last 2 yrs. As has been stated .22 RF is just out of sight. Have gone to pump air pistols and lead pellets. Young people today just accept these prices as normal and within the next 8 yrs. of hellary the shooting fraternity will shrink rapidly as minimum wage workers can barely afford to eat and pay utility bills, much less have money for recreation like shooting. Sad state of affairs.