close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

corrosive ammo

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by win, Apr 5, 2013.

1. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    I was wondering about cleaning. I am told windex and hot water. I am not really want to use water to clean my gun to bad. I did see a video and the guy says that breadfree clp is a one step cleaning process. Is this true?
    Is their anyother one step cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo in your ak.
    thanks

2. Hedo1

Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania
    The ammonia in Windex is what's required to break up the corrosive salts. Buy a big jug of it at Home Depot. Apply it liberally in the barrel and then wipe down the action and tube. Rinse with water and run a patch thru it till dry. Spray with clp and patch it again.

Won't hurt the AK. Russians used far more expedient methods in the field to clean them.

3. clancy

clancy

Feb 16, 2011
    While I think we have all been conditioned to think water should not be used to clean our weapons, it really does a good job. The key is to use really hot' almost boiling, water. I do a lot of black powder shooting and have tried just about everything out there to clean my muzzleloaders. Hot water is as good as any of them, and better than most.

I have also used corrosive ammunition in my Mauser, and the bore is spotless. Again, I have used nothing but hot water.

4. the monk

the monk

Jul 26, 2011
    Northern VA
    It is not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. All you need is water - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcFKCTfKENc"]Corrosive Ammo and Cleaning Your Rifle - YouTube[/ame]

I don't do anything different anymore other than carry a mag of non-corrosive like silver bear and fire off half a mag before I shoot any corrosive and then fire off the other half when I'm done, after that I clean normally. I have let my rifles sit without cleaning for months using this method without any issues.

5. yup water is fine just make it hot to boiling i also use windex all works fine no rust yet. And i use the surplus corrosive so far exclusively in my AK74 ive never used the non corrosive stuff..

6. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    I just bought some ammo for my ak74. I am a bit behind, so I overpaided. I got (2) 1080 spam cased for $458 shipped. comes out to about .21 a round. I have seen it go for more. I do remember way back when last year maybe $170+shipping or so. If it gets cheap this summer I can get more.

7. Around Jan 1 2013 i paid $180 shipped.(for 1 1080 can)

8. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I have never used anything other than hot soapy water and a garden hose. Never a problem in over 20 years.

9. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    do you use boiling hot water? How about WD40 when done? like the video.
    thanks

10. the monk

the monk

Jul 26, 2011
    Northern VA
    I use hot water as it heats up the metal and speeds up the drying process but not really necessary. After that you can blow out the rest of the water with an air compressor or a can of compressed air (cheap at costco) and then use your standard cleaning regimen - I use frog lube.

11. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    Remove BC, Gas tube.

Pour water (hot if available) down the bore and through the rear sight block, also into the gas block. I usually do 2-3 quart cup fulls. Put the gas tube under the faucet and let it run for 10-15 seconds, rotating to ensure the entirety gets rinsed out.

Wire brush the piston, rinse w/ water.

Dry everything with air compressor, run dry paper towel down the bore and lube it all up.

I did this for 4 years/3000 rounds and had zero rust on my 5.45 saiga.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  12. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    Hot soapy water, a garden hose on high, shake, then let dry in the sun. After its good and dry I will add a light film of regular gun oil.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  13. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    Only water is needed. I field strip the rifle and spray it down with a hose then dry it off with an air compressor.

14. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    Is water and thin oil the method used from country's that use ak for military use. I guess they probably don't really care much. They just get another one if they have problems.
    My ammo is on the way. I will give this a try.
    thanks again

15. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    Corrosive ammo is really no big deal. The general guidelines as quoted above work great. If you are in a situation where no running water is readily available there are several cleaners readily available. The first that comes to mind is "Ballistol". This is one of the cleaners that was specifically designed to deal with corrosive ammo. IIFC it dates back to about WW1 when that is all there was.
    Standard gun oils DO NOT break down the corrosive elements.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  16. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2C7TtpjVls"]How to: Clean Your Rifle After Shooting Corrosive Ammo - YouTube[/ame]

Others have stated it well but above is how I do it. That said, I just got an air compressor :supergrin: