close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Corn cob media...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wdphillips, Aug 17, 2010.

1. wdphillips

wdphillips
    Expand Collapse

I was in Walmart yesterday looking for some of the crushed walnut lizard or bird bedding that was talked about in an earlier thread. There was none to be found.

However, I did find some rather large bags of corn cob media distined for critter bedding. I think they were about $3/bag. Since I use cob media right now I looked at it closely. The size of the media was larger than the stuff I have for tumbling but... it may work.

Has anyone tried this stuff?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

I exclusively use corn cob media. I buy mine from the gun store though. It takes a little longer to get the brass clean, but leaves no oily residue and dusts off nicely.

I am going to start using dryer sheets however. I was at a buddy's house the other day and he uses corn cob with dryer sheets and his media still looked brand new. After a few batches mine gets pretty dirty. He said the dryer sheets pick up the black dust:dunno:

So, I'll give it a try.

#2 XDRoX, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. dsmw5142

dsmw5142
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I've never seen the lizard litter at Walmart. You may have to go to Petsmart to get it. That is where I get mine.

4. El_Ron1

El_Ron1
    Expand Collapse
    AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Make sure you've got some paper clips handy to dig out the crap from some cases and many of the primer pockets.

5. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

You do not want too get the walnut media from Wal-mart. It is way too dusty.
    Get the stuff from Pet Smart. It is lizard bedding.
    I use walnut too clean the brass of the dirt etc. When I come back from the range. Then I use corncob media with a mixture of 50/50 mineral spirits and Nu-Finish car polish to make the cases shine.

6. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Be careful with the size of the cob. I've read many reports of people using a larger size and having major problems with it becomming stuck inside the cases, especially bottleneck cases.

As to walnut, I have not been able to find it in Walmart of late. I believe they discontinued carrying it.

7. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

Small or medium sized corn cob + Berry's Brass Bright, tumble for 90 minutes = Brass that looks like new gold.

8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

14/20 grit corncob is what I use. I buy it from Grainger Supply, with my employers discount that is extended to employees it's a little over $22 for a 40 pound bag.

I use Nu-finish polish cut with paint thinner and use cut-up used dryer sheets in ever load.

#8 Boxerglocker, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  9. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

The Wal-Mart stuff is also too big (unless you're tumbling completed cartridges). If you tumble 9mm brass in it, you'll be using a probe to pick corn cob out of some of the brass.

10. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

The only trouble I had with it was it was way too dusty. Sizer die or universal decapping die takes care of any stuck media. Unless the whole case is full of media.

11. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

You must have one heck of a universal decapping die if it can resolve cases in which multiple chunks of corn cob media are stuck where the powder and bullet should be. What's it got, a plasma torch tip?

12. TheGrimReaper

TheGrimReaper
    Expand Collapse

I like Walnut. I get if from Petco. It is cheaper.

13. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Read the last sentence of what I said. If it is just in the flash hole there is no problem.

14. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

For non-employees go to Drillspot. They sell Graingers 14/20 between $22-23 DELIVERED! Just got my first bag and it has Graingers name on it.

15. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

The $22 includes WA state sales tax and it's a will call pick up at the local depot. Normal price is $24-25 plus tax...

Care to elaborate where "Drillspot" is? $22-23 delivered to where? I would be hard pressed to believe 40 pound of anything could be delivered for that price.

16. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

Boxer: here ya go: http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

$21.16 delivered! I was just as surprised to find this at such a low price but it is great stuff.

17. rohanreginald

rohanreginald
    Expand Collapse
    Novice

I thought after reading the title this was going to be a thread about some backwoods newspaper company, or CNN.

18. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

19. herdingcats

herdingcats
    Expand Collapse
    still new

That price is sick! I've been looking for something that cheap. I'll put in an order right away!

20. Psychman

Psychman
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member