Corbon DPX 45 +P 185 Grain Short Barrel Gel Test

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Ljutic, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Anybody carry a Glock 20 with Doubletap 135 grain Corbon Nosler's?? Caliber Corner Sep 18, 2014
    Corbon 115 grain 9mm +P out of glock 19 Caliber Corner Feb 2, 2014
    CorBon Cartridges GATE Self-Defense Forum Aug 6, 2015
    Your Opinion on Corbon's DPX 9mm GATE Self-Defense Forum Jun 12, 2015
    FS: CorBon PowRBall .45 acp Misc. Gun Stuff Feb 2, 2015

2. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Is there any lead in that bullet?

3. RichardB

Silver Member

DPX is an all copper bullet.

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Great consistency, needs to go deeper....IMO. One reason I've never been very hip on light for caliber bullet weights.

#4 Berto, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. M 7

M 7

Surprised to see it only going 900fps, but then you did fire from a 3.3" barrel. How was reliability from the XD with that load?

6. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

What .45 has a 3.3-inch barrel?

7. RichardB

Silver Member

8. 100% across 9 shots. Statistically insignificant sample size to determine anything other than this particular box will chamber and fire in my specific XDs.

9. I always include a picture of the test pistol in the video. For this video it's 15 seconds into the video and it was indeed a Springfield XDs.

10. 185gr and below sucks. Stick to 200gr or above, preferably 230gr. People get sucked into the velocity gimmick. But reduced bullet weight reduces sectional density and momentum, therefore penetration. And because of the extra velocity, they often expand violently, thereby reducing penetration even more. Stay away from the light stuff, .45 fans.

11. All that you wrote applies to regular bullets and not solid copper bullets.

12. Then explain the poor penetration. Weight is weight, regardless of lead or copper.

13. 3.3" barrel. Weight ≠ mass. Solid copper bullets have more mass.

14. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

A longer barrel could have possibly gave less penetration becuase of the more aggressive expansion due to the higher velocity. IMO, the shorter barrel could have aided the bullet by giving deeper penetratioon due to less aggressive expansion.

Still impressive though. Im not a huge .45ACP fan, but this would still get the job done regardless.

15. They may require more mass to be the same weight, but it's still a .451" bullet weighing 185 grains. Just because it's made of copper doesn't mean it's diameter or weight has changed.

I've seen reports of these DPX 185-grainers penetrating under 11", even with a 5" 1911.

As I understand it, copper bullets were a hunting invention. Less lead pollution in the environment and in the kill, and they tend to hold together. They later adapted them to handgun hollow points, and it seems to me, as a gimmick. They don't do anything that a bonded lead bullet can't do.

JMO.

#15 WinterWizard, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  16. The 160 gr DPX load was designed for short barreled 45 autos. That load from a 3.5" barrrel penetrates 14" in 4 layer denim clad 10% ballistic gel.

17. They do two things better: penetrate hard barriers better as well as open up more reliably. The downside, which is considerable, is the hefty cost.

18. Is there any scientific data on this, or is it an Internet marketing rumor? Because there are bonded bullets that penetrate auto glass with ease and often with no deflection, and with enough oompf left over to do quite a bit of damage on the other side. But not that this is needed for civilians, really. More of a law enforcement thing. And yet, how many LE agencies are rocking copper bullets?

#18 WinterWizard, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  19. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I don't suppose that there are many LEO agencies using the more expensive copper cartridges. $ talks.

20. I've no clue what are you talking about regarding, "solid copper bullets have more mass." If you put two equal size bullets side by side, one made of solid copper, and one of lead, the density of the lead bullet should be 3.26 times that of the copper one based upon their molecular weights. That increase in weight should pack much more punch if traveling at the same velicity.
    Now, if you're talking about the HARDNESS of each metal, there should be a marked difference in penetration of one metal vs. the other due to the lead being so much softer. It will deform much faster with energy lost in doing so, plus more resistance due to increase in diameter.
    Your statement of Solid copper bullets having more mass makes absolutely no sense to me.:crazy: