close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cops who leave thier cruiser in thier driveway when they get off duty???

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by mixflip, Aug 29, 2011.

1. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I see alot of cops in my town do this. I personally would not do it just because it tells the world way too much information.

My hunch is that the more seasoned cops park their cruisers inside the garage and dont want anyone knowing they are a cop when off duty while younger cops like to show off their new ride? (along with wearing 511 cargo pants off duty)

How do you guys feel about this?

2. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    I agree with you, I wouldn't want a fully marked or unmarked yet obvious cruiser in my driveway, but then again, I don't have a garage, so...

I actually got a little annoyed that the last Sgt who did a surprise hom visit did so in plain clothes, yet a fully marked car. I'm with you, I don't want everyone knowing my business, especially in the neighborhood I live in.

3. Sometimes you just don't have a choice. It all depends on where you live, personal preference, department policy, marked / unmarked, etc.. If your driveway is large enough, you MAY be able to "bury it" with your other vehicles (if you have that option) and the garage is another choice. I know of some who, with the permission of their local Police Chief, leave their dept. vehicle at the local PD and swap out it out with their POV. Others use the DPW facilities / Fire House, etc. It all depends...

4. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I am in this group, we get in service from the house. I dont have a garage, so my car is parked on the street. I do try to park on the street so that it is not obvious exactly which house is mine.

I carry in my house, and keep a 870 pump behind the bedroom door. I also live in a small neighborhood with 7 of my co-workers as neighbors. We keep a close eye on each others place.

Not to mention it is not uncommon for a sheriff to require that each deputy, reserve, court security, etc... take a marked unit home. It gives the appearance of a stronger police presence in the jurisdiction. This is the way my sheriff does it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  5. We were required to keep our take home vehicle in a garage. Thus it was called a home garage permit. Much of this was caused from vandalism and burglaries of police vehicles, both marked and plain vehicles, in attempts to get weapons and radios!
    If we could not keep it secure in a garage we had to dispersal park them at the nearest PD or Fire Station!

6. WOW, 7 from the same agency. There are a few of us (different depts) on the same block and we, also, keep an eye out for each other. Also one of the neighbors has a brother who's a town copper and he's always stopping by. When I started with my current department, I was assigned a marked take home car and I was tad concerned about having it parked in my D/W. (my former department didn't have this option / not at my level). It's a little easier now with an unmarked.

+1 for carrying at home......:supergrin:

7. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    In my neighborhood, State Patrol and County Sheriff deputies have their vehicles parked on the street in front of their homes. There are 4-5 within walking distance around my neighborhood. I don't see anything wrong with it from a citizen standpoint.

8. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    ^ its not the law abiding citizens I am worried about.

9. So....does that mean that when a non-LEO who wears 511 cargo pants becomes an off-duty cop when he wears them? Or is he a mall ninja? So exactly who is allowed to wear 511 pants?

10. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I meant that as a joke. I guess it wasnt funny. I just said that because I see fellow officers in my dept who like to look like an off duty cop plain as day (maybe as a deterrent? I dont know never asked) ...while I feel anonymity is my biggest advantage when amongst the public off duty.

There is nothing wrong with wearing 511 pants going to WalMart or grocery shopping or to the movies or to dinner. I just dont do it unless I am going to the range or camping or hiking. Just a personal opinion and I could be way off base. I do apologize if I offended any 511 wearers.

11. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I don't have a take-home car. If I did, I would PREFER to keep it in the garage. On-street parking restrictions prohibit cars from being parked on the street overnight here, and while I doubt the PD would ticket a marked car, I don't doubt that some of the uppity busybodies that come with any neighborhood would complain.

I have a neighbor (K9 handler) that has a take home car and there is a state trooper about a block away that has one. Both keep their cars in their driveways, neither have room in their garages for the car.

12. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    I would never park a marked unit in the driveway. An unmarked would be iffy. Most of our detective cars are not typical police fleet vehicles (Compacts, mommy missles, small SUVs). I would fight tooth and nail a requirement to have a marked unit in my driveway. Ever since one of our few officers assigned a marked take home went out one morning to find an unexploded firebomb under their unit in their driveway I think it is retarded unless you live and work in a small town out in the middle of nowhere and eveybody knows your name and no one drifts through town.

We are targets every minute we are on duty. Why the hell would I want to make myself a target off duty?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  13. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    What exactly is a surprise home visit from your Sgt?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Actually, it was a department I was applying for, so he wasn't MY Sgt, per se. The funny thing about it is, NO ONE does home visits arunf here anymore, and the 1 or 2 depts that do, schedule them very strictly. As it turns out, the Sgt caught me in the shower, and the house was pretty messy as I hadn't been there for longer than about 7 hours a day for the preceding 3 weeks. Answering the door in basketball shorts and a towel doesn't exactly make a great first impression, I guess. Oh well, that's what he gets for popping in like that

15. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    I don't have an issue with it. We have take homes and it comes with the job, you can't hide from everything.

16. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

Jun 11, 2002
    New Mexico & Michigan
    I had a take home car for 25 years, both marked and unmarked. It was never a secret who the neighborhood cop was so why put it in the garage. I have a two car garage but can only fit one car in it. My POV gets priority. Yes my car has been vandalized in my driveway and my house burgled. Goes with the job. My marked unit was paint balled once while I ate at IHOP at 3 AM. Again part of the job.

5.11s are just cargo pants to most non cops. I've been wearing for 20 years.

Sent from my Ally

17. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    It used to be more...but the guys with children have started moving on to bigger homes.

It is never a secret who is a LEO in this town, no sense in worrying about the car being parked out front.

18. RVER

RVER

Aug 3, 2004
    PA
    My issued car is a compact sedan with "clean" plates, although it has a radio discretly mounted up front on the floor. The current batch of fleet vehicles being issued are Chev Impalas with the police package - no thanks, I'll gladly keep my "Mom and Pop" ride.

19. No need to apologize. In fact, choosing to not wear any "tactical" clothing (of any brand) is a running joke among many LEOs.

I used to wear the 5.11 tactical (cargo) pants for years. Until I got a little older (nearing 50 y.o.) when I realized cargo pants and such are dress-appropriate for young people, not oldsters like myself. We've all seen 60 year old women still dressing like they were only 20, with big hair, short skirts, high heels, etc... Just don't seem right.

So, in wanting to dress appropriately for my age, I now wear 5.11 and Woolrich "covert" type pants.

Of course, I still wear the 5.11 tac pants (in brown, coyote or whatever) while running around in the woods or at the range.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  20. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Shoot, I wear jeans, untucked shirt, and tennis shoes and still scream cop. If I wore 5.11 pants people would assume I was on duty, and would approach me and want to file a report.