close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cop fined for arresting firefighter on a call.

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Borg, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Borg

Borg

Jul 27, 2001
    Orlando, FL

2. ok47s

ok47s

Jan 21, 2008
  3. Miguel

Miguel High on CLP

Aug 21, 2005
    In the interwebs machines
  4. Ummm, I thought a MVA was the fire depts scene. I just help them direct traffic. They can close the road all they want. But I'm just a lowly deputy. :upeyes:

5. D25

D25 The Quick

Jan 26, 2003
    I can't believe that many of the LEOs here are sympathetic to the cop in this video. :upeyes: Fortunately in my neck of the woods, LEOs know that I'm in charge when there are patients, and they are very much aware that traffic WILL be blocked on an MVA- at least initially. Not as a pissing contest, but that is how things run.

6. SurfOnH20

SurfOnH20

Jul 10, 2005
    I am a LEO and I must say this officer is an IDIOT !! Yeah, coppers and firefighters bump heads on occasions, but at the end of the day we hang our hats and go home safe to our families. Sesh, what the hell was he thinking..:wow:

7. cahilj

cahilj

Nov 6, 2007
    MA, yes it sucks
    Wow. This reminds me of the time I was responding to a call and the FD chief (who was also the PD chief at the time, yes, I know, its a small town) told me that if he ever saw me going that fast (about 5mph over) again, he would give me a ticket. I told him I was going home, and his mood changed instantly. I guess not having anyone to drive the pumper would have been a bad thing, since I'm one of only 4 on my department that can, and no one else was there.

8. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Jun 15, 2001
    South East USA
    TBO likes this.
  9. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I could not see if it was LE or a Ambulance crew with the patient. Either way it does not matter. There were rescue workers bringing a patient out of a vehicle into traffic lanes. A safety zone should be set up.

Here is what I posted in the other forum.

Traffic on 270 is horrible and dangerous for emergency workers. Every department around here uses trucks to set up a safety zone.

This was a isolated incident and the officer got his hand slapped for letting his pride override good sense.

In my district it is sweet. We block as much of the Interstate as we feel is needed. We open up traffic in as many lanes as possible asap.

We work with the local and State Police and control traffic until the tow leaves the scene or we have to respond to another 911 call. This works great for LE since only one officer/Trooper is need to show up and take a report and call for a tow. We handle everything else.

10. MissAmericanPie

MissAmericanPie Troop Supporter

Dec 8, 2005
    New Hampshire
    It is irrelevant. It is a reduction of the care given to the patient. Patient care takes priority over the officer's preference to have the lane open for travel. His dispute could have been dealt with after the patient was transported. Who is the officer to determine that the patient had enough care?

11. MissAmericanPie

Dec 8, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I didn't think that was the case. There are really only two that are strongly sympathetic to the officer's case and they haven't really defended their positions. Many CT regulars have objectively chimed in and said that it was improper to arrest the fire captain.

12. BlitzAttack

BlitzAttack Daisy if ya do

Dec 31, 2007
    TEXAS
    As long as my feet are on that highway pavement, that truck is not moving!
    I dont care how backed up the traffic is getting,,people just dont care or pay attention when there driving. Hell i've seen people drive around a blocking apparatus and weave right through the scene!!:wow:

13. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Jun 15, 2001
    South East USA
    Really? How? How many people were in the car? How many people were on the scene, prior to the captian? How many patients were there? How many paramedice were on scene? How many LOE's? What were the injuries? How many were injured? How do you know the officer was the one deterning if the patient had enough care?

14. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Jun 15, 2001
    South East USA
    I guess I'm one of the one's who is "strongly sympathetic", because I have maintained from the beginning that I don't know what happened, beyond a brief in-car video.

So please tell us all: what happened? Bet you still can't........

15. MissAmericanPie

Dec 8, 2005
    New Hampshire
    How about you tell us, smartass, since you are badgering everyone else. I think everyone has laid out quite nicely a defense of their positions. At least they are engaging in adult dialogue. If you would like to refute what has been said, feel free.

And I find it comical that you snidely post in this forum that others should watch the video when you were making comments in the other thread before viewing it. You should thank Drew for pointing it out to you.

BTW, reread my posts on it and note how reasonable they are. You could learn a thing or two. ;) :wavey:

Your turn.............

16. MissAmericanPie

Dec 8, 2005
    New Hampshire
    It isn't up to the officer on the scene to determine if there are enough resources to care for a patient. That is not his job. Get it?

17. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Jun 15, 2001
    South East USA
    So you don't know what happened either. Get it?

18. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Jun 15, 2001
    South East USA

Well , I have maintained from the beginning, that WE do not know what happened. Since I have taken no postion, there is nothing to defend. (But I guess that is badgering :upeyes:)

You really show how adult you are by calling me a smartass.

I noted you have no answers for my questions. Which is very telling of you.....smartass.

19. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Jun 15, 2001
    South East USA
    "This is one of the most interesting threads, I've ever read.

The cop on the video is 100% wrong. Inexcusable and absolutely wrong.

Not only is he wrong, but the guy is a moron. This is right up there with the "hmm, I think this guy in the wheelchair is faking...lets dump him on his face and find out..."

The cops trying to defend this guy sound like petty drug dealers that are caught and are trying to quibble "well, it was just a little pot..."

Anyone ever appreciate the concept of personal responsibility? Being accountable for your actions rather than dishing it off on the policeman's union or the city or BS excuse about what you didn't see on the tape?

He was crying because he was put in handcuffs and the back seat of a cruiser for half an hour, so what. I don't condone the conduct of the officer, I don't even know the facts of that particular case, he might have been wrong or right, that's not the point. I don't think the fireman was beaten with a stick and raped by the officer.

No, if the guy was beaten with a stick and raped by the cop, the cop probably would have gone to jail for a few decades and the city would have been paying out a 7 figure amount. 18k is a slap on the wrist and a gentle reminder to maybe review the US constitution before returning to work with particular emphasis on the 4th amendment.

He didn't have to sue the agency or the officer for a personal economic benefit.

No, but the cop didn't have to take his personal initiative and place his personal handcuffs on the guy, and place him in the back of his personal G-ride.

This is how it works in the real world. If you do something stupid, you have to be accountable personally for your actions. Nothing like the exclamation point on a dispute like forcing the other party to write out a check to you.

Next time you feel like being a moron, think about how much it might cost you. I don't see how personal economic benefit is a bad thing.

A formal complaint that made the officer get a reprimand, suspension or other punishment is the example needed, not money for his new car. I stand by what I said, that guy is a loser.

Formal complaints are a joke. Cops are never wrong in their eyes as this thread indicates. Why not get an impartial 3rd party (ie. judge) to determine if the behavior was unreasonable (which it apparently was) and to assess any damages. When was the last time a cop was forced to pay someone they abused?

BTW, as I stated before I have great respect for firefighters, but this is bullcrap.

It is called law enforcement in action. Don't cops always say tell it to the judge? This guy did, and the cop got smacked down. Wearing a badge isn't a license to be stupid.

Getting monetary compensation, PERSONAL compensation, instead of punishment for the officer's actions is for pusssies.

I can't think of anything more punishing than forcing an adverse party to fork over their cash after publicly humiliating them in court.

Be an adult and be accountable for your actions."

This about sums it up missamericanpie. This was posted over on Cop Talk. It was his first post. He immediately saw right and wrong on BOTH sides. Something I chose NOT to do and you are unable to do......get it? Never mind, I already answered that.