Glock Talk banner

Coonan .357 magnum/.38special 1911

16K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  XDMUSER 
#1 ·
Recently discovered this very strange pistol. I think its extremely interesting, and would like to hear anyone's thoughts if anyone on GT owns one. I really wonder what reliability and accuracy is like with these "hybrid" handguns

#6 · (Edited)
Here is mine. According to Dan Coonan, it is a late '80s production. These pistols are a real blast to shoot. They are a bit pricey new, around $1300. Used ones can run from $1000-$1200. I got mine for a steal. I bought it from a guy in Missoula, MT for $840 shipped and that included two magazines. It did not come in the original case, but that was still a helluva deal.

#8 · (Edited)
All smooth as far as I know.

They don't take standard 1911 grips. Its not actually a 1911, but its based off of one.
Darn, you beat me to it.

On the prototype model, the original barrel and barrel link design was that of the 1911. It was later redesigned to a linkless barrel system with the introduction of the Coonan B.

The 1911 and the Coonan have few things in common.

There are 18 parts that are direct replacements:
•Hammer & Pin
•Hammer Strut & Pin
•Sear, & Pin
•Sear Spring
•Disconnector & Pin
•Thumb Safety
•Plunger Tube, Pins (Front & Rear), and Spring
•Barrel Bushing
•Recoil Plug
•Grip Screws
•Grip Bushings

and there are 6 parts that require some modification:
•Firing Pin Stop
•Grip Safety
•Recoil Spring
•Ejector
•Recoil Spring Tube
•Sights

Also, Coonan Arms does offer some really nice checkered grips.

http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/wood_grip_set_fully_checkered_walnut/cPath,6

http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/black_checkered_milled/cPath,6

#10 ·
Here is mine. According to Dan Coonan, it is a late '80s production. These pistols are a real blast to shoot. They are a bit pricey new, around $1300. Used ones can run from $1000-$1200. I got mine for a steal. I bought it from a guy in Missoula, MT for $840 shipped and that included two magazines. It did not come in the original case, but that was still a helluva deal.

She sure is purty, how is accuracy?

#15 ·
Here is the Model B I USED to own. :crying:

A great pistol that I would have kept if I had guessed Dan would resume production. Very accurate, reliable, etc......
Shoots all 357 Magnum ammo, and 38 Special as well.

#21 · (Edited)
Wow, you think they're ugly?

To each their own, I guess. :)
My taste tends to be a bit blingy, and they look almost like dated 1911s to me... Kind of the same issues I have with the 10mm deltas... They just look "old"

I will admit, I like the ones with the black machine aluminum grips in the pics above... I guess those just have enough of a modern look for me over the more stayed smooth wood.

Again though taste is of course subjective. :embarassed:

I've thought about ordering one for laughs but I've got to take it easy with more $1500 toys..

The gun still on the top of my "dumb things I don't need and shouldn't spend money on" is a s&w 500 revolver.... Only God knows why

#22 · (Edited)
I acquired an 80s model from a friend. I updated the adjustable sights with low profile tritium by Novak. It cost a bundle to get it modified but it was worth it. Accuracy is great. I hit 50 and 75 yard plates with it, open sights, free handed standing.

Reliability is excellent but it does not cycle Blazer Aluminum 357 magnums. It only does brass. Never tried 38 because I don't like that round. I only use 158 and 125 grains of 357. Never tried the other weights of ammo.

It's a huge grip but it's comfortable. Handles recoil very well, and it's the softest shooting 357 magnum I own. It's not a true 1911 but it's a bad ass pistol with an 8 plus 1 capacity. It's a practical round and a go to gun for me. Ankle carry. NOT!

Far from useless. It's a great gun and it always brings a smile to my face when I shoot it.

#23 ·
The Coonan certainly has a cool factor! If I wasn't broke I might get one with night sights.

#24 ·
My taste tends to be a bit blingy, and they look almost like dated 1911s to me... Kind of the same issues I have with the 10mm deltas... They just look "old"

I will admit, I like the ones with the black machine aluminum grips in the pics above... I guess those just have enough of a modern look for me over the more stayed smooth wood.

Again though taste is of course subjective. :embarassed:

I've thought about ordering one for laughs but I've got to take it easy with more $1500 toys..

The gun still on the top of my "dumb things I don't need and shouldn't spend money on" is a s&w 500 revolver.... Only God knows why
I actually prefer classic looking firearms. :cool:

#25 ·
You guys are killing me. I can only dream of having one. Same ammo as my CCW revolvers.

The lead time might be the rest of my life. I'll just have to keep saving.

#26 ·
Wow, you think they're ugly?

To each their own, I guess. :)
I have to admit I'm not a fan either, but for me it's the full length dust cover. Some are done well, this one.. isn't. Also, that trigger looks goofy. How's the grip on em? It looks really big, almost disproportionate, and definitely off that key profile that the 1911 has down perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.