close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cool Link For Powerlifters and Old Schoolers

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Jun 13, 2005.

1. testosterone

testosterone

Aug 26, 2003
    las vegas
    Cool..thanks.
    Its amazing the amount of differences there are between lifting styles. Most people think that lifting weights is lifting weights. They dont realize that there are two complete different camps..powerlifters and bodybuilders. Both lift weights but both do it for completely different goals in mind and most of the time completley different methods to achieve their results.
    Still...they are more related to each other then the average couch potato

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    I can't help but being pedantic.:cool: :) ;c I think we should add weightlifters in this too! But otherwise, I agree 100% with you.

3. An argument could be made that there are more even than that. There are Bodybuilders, Powerelifters, Weightlifters (olympic lifters), and Strongmen. All different to those involved in the sports, but also more related to each other than the couch potato or the marathon runner. I am not saying at all that marathon runners are related to couch potatos!

4. testosterone

testosterone

Aug 26, 2003
    las vegas
    well there are sub-catagories of the two camps...I would classify weightlifters and strongmen as part of the powerlifting camp...they dont focus on body composition but on strength.

I remebmer the point when I carried alot of muscle mass..I was working on my truck with my dad and I couldnt get this damn bolt off..dad pushes me out of the way, grabs the wrench and with a twist of his wrist breaks the bolt free. He loos at me and asks if 'those muscles are for work or for show'. Then he lauged his ass off flexing his bicep. At that point in time I had never thought of functional strength. I mean, Im the one people always call when they have something heavy to move. I know that Im stronger then the average individual. My motto today is the same as it was back then. I would much rather look like I can squat 600lbs then actaully do it.

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    No need to argue about semantics. I believe there is a difference between weightlifters and power lifter and strongmen and HGers. But I understand the point that you can lift to gain strength for a strength related sport or train to develope physique.

Test's original thought holds true. Most people don't understand the difference. I think if you tell someone you're going to weight train they immediately think of body building. I know a lot of people think weightlifting is the same as power lifting.

Me, personally, my goal is to choose 5 or 6 lifts and try to meet Bob Hoffman's Gold Medal Standard.

BTW Test, even though you train body composition, I'm pretty sure you're stronger than I am. There obviously has to be some carry-over. Just as If you can snatch bodyweight, Clean and jerk 1.5 bw and can 300-400-500 and run some decent wind sprints, you're gonna have a better than normal physique.

TEHO

Good training fellas and thanks for the posts,
    Jack

6. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Jan 2, 2000

Could you elaborate on "Bob Hoffman's Gold Medal Standards", please?